Why become a member? ×

If you could join a band in the past,Which one?

stingrayPete1977

[quote name='steve-soar' post='981936' date='Oct 8 2010, 07:32 PM']Hawkwind, circa 1975. :)[/quote]

that would have been fun!

I think around bands around the 67 era would have been great, Incredible string band, Love etc.
Or in a krautrock band, Can, Neu! or Faust at their peaks

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='981928' date='Oct 8 2010, 07:27 PM']From a music point of view I'd love to have been involved in Stephen Stills Manassas but from longevity I'd like to go beyond the 2 records they made. So I'll go for The Byrds as they transcended so many genres. In fact I could just cut out the middle man and have Chris Hillman's bass playing life - that way I have all the bases (& indeed basses!) covered[/quote]

Yes please ....

[quote name='yorick' post='981956' date='Oct 8 2010, 07:56 PM']Van Halen, VH1 and VH2 era[/quote]

Yes please again ...

Personally playing with Neil Young would be the ultimate, but I would probably choose rhythm guitar for that gig.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='982069' date='Oct 8 2010, 09:58 PM']Good thread, good answers.

Rainbow '77-'78,
Gillan '78-'82,
Nomeansno,
Victims Family,
Hawkwind as they are now.[/quote]

Yes it going well and all inspired by my 90's look back earlier today,I like the way we are going right down to specific time periods for each group, Who said we were all bass geeks? :)

Kyuss, Free, Mars Volta, Soundgarden, Deftones, SRV and Double Trouble, Black Sabbath (up to and including Never Say Die), Fleetwood Mac during the Green era, any incarnation of the Bluesbreakers or Yardbirds and anything involving Jimi Hendrix or Buddy Guy. Bill Haley and his Comets too, I don't know why, I just know it would have been cool.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='981980' date='Oct 8 2010, 08:25 PM']Throbbing Gristle, Captain Beefheart, Can, Mott The Hoople.[/quote]

Thanks for making me smile.

I like the bass/organ combinations,
so the latter, Mk.1 of course as per 2009 reunion.

2. Deep Purple.

3. Uriah Heep (70's).

4. Without organs; Cream.

Balcro.

1. Led Zeppelin (small prob. I don't do keys particularily well).
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Lynryd Skynyrd
4. Jefferson Airplane

It's funny though, the way I play bass is absolutely nothing like the bassist in any of those bands but I can imagine it being one hell of an experience being with any of them.

EDIT: Ooo, I almost forgot I would loved to have played music with Carlos Santana (in his earlier days) and if I had the ability - John McLaughlin an the Mahavishnu Orchestra (but as I don't that's a non-starter).

Edited by purpleblob