Why become a member? ×

shuttle 6.0 or shuttle 9.0

jonunders

Better is subjective. At some point you have to be content with your gear (unless you have endless funds). Besides, don't assume that you can judge which gear is "better" based on a five minute test - spend some time getting to know the amp and experiment.

I was finding it tough to decide between the 6.0 and 9.0 - in the end I got a 6.0 because there were a lot of secondhand ones going for a good price at the time (9.0 had just come out). I love it and think it has plenty of oomph. If I ever need more I'll get a second cab!

EDIT: spelling

Edited by lightbulbjim

The Shuttle 9 gets much better user reports than the other Shuttle amps. I'd go for the 9, not for the volume but for the headroom.

The tone you get through a more powerful amp should sound better at low to mid volumes than a smaller amp which will be running mid to high to get the same volume. There should be an authority and quality to the notes that you wouldn't get from the smaller amp.

If none of this is important to you then get the smaller amp, because it will be cheaper.

As has been said in another thread, Genz throttled back the bass (reduced the bass frequencies) on their 3 and 6 models because the matching cabs couldn't handle the lower frequencies!! That sounds like a pretty silly design/cost/management trade-off in my opinion, especially when you're trying to sell your product to bass players! No wonder lots of people didn't like the 3 and 6 Shuttles because they thought the Genz were basslite!

Didn't know that about the low-end throttling - I've got a Shuttle 6 and use it with an Ampeg 6x10, and have no trouble shifting bottom end. I've never ran the volume past halfway, and I've used it with a couple of pretty damn loud bands.

Personally, I don't know what I'd do with that extra power, as I barely run it past 3 or 4 at the moment, but I haven't tried one out to hear these tonal differences.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Shuttle 6.0 with a Barefaced Compact, never had any problems with it not having enough oomph or bottom end. To be fair I usually end up boosting the bass on the amp, but then what's the point of EQ controls if they're not used?

The 9.0 doesnt just add more bottom, as obviously it adds more headroom, which along with the hi-pass filter adjustment (think thats the right way round) gives you a much larger sound apparently.

I await to see what Genz release this NAMM. I have seen the two new Uber cabinets, and the Uber Quad (1x12, 2x8, Tweet 600W) looks awesome.

If the release an amp with two mid controls, or with better control over those filters, ill be getting one. There are rumours about a new amp due this year!

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='996734' date='Oct 22 2010, 09:45 AM']The 9.0 doesnt just add more bottom, as obviously it adds more headroom, which along with the hi-pass filter adjustment (think thats the right way round) gives you a much larger sound apparently.

I await to see what Genz release this NAMM. I have seen the two new Uber cabinets, and the Uber Quad (1x12, 2x8, Tweet 600W) looks awesome.

If the release an amp with two mid controls, or with better control over those filters, ill be getting one. There are rumours about a new amp due this year![/quote]

They could release some nice cabs to cope with thw 9.0's power. The only one able to handle a maxed out 9.0 is the Uber 410! Some nice NeoX 212"'s with 600W@8Ohms would be highly apreciated!

Does anyone else on this thread find Genz's mid scoop button a complete waste of time?

The bass and treb buttons have their use, but the mid seems really ill-conceived/implemented, I find it just sucks the life from the tone and makes the whole level appear to drop.
I like everything else about it.
Anyone agree/disagree?

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='997352' date='Oct 22 2010, 05:56 PM']Does anyone else on this thread find Genz's mid scoop button a complete waste of time?

The bass and treb buttons have their use, but the mid seems really ill-conceived/implemented, I find it just sucks the life from the tone and makes the whole level appear to drop.
I like everything else about it.
Anyone agree/disagree?[/quote]

Personally I think all three of the shape filters are a waste of time. Much prefer the Markbass VLE and VPF.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='997371' date='Oct 22 2010, 06:16 PM']Personally I think all three of the shape filters are a waste of time. Much prefer the Markbass VLE and VPF.[/quote]

Yes same here, love the amp though, I just dont use the shape filters, mostly cos the lights are blinding :)

Tell me if I'm wrong, but surely your choice of guitar will affect the 'inadequate' bottom end on a 6.0, or for that matter, any amp??

Having recently got a Shuttle 6.0 210T combo (after a Trace AH-500 with 4x10 and 1x15), I certainly don't find a lack in bottom end with a Gibson Thunderbird (yes, I know you don't like them on here..!).

The difference seems to be that I don't need to be two streets away to hear it!

My 2p for what it's worth :)

[quote name='Tegs' post='997584' date='Oct 22 2010, 10:20 PM']Tell me if I'm wrong, but surely your choice of guitar will affect the 'inadequate' bottom end on a 6.0, or for that matter, any amp??

Having recently got a Shuttle 6.0 210T combo (after a Trace AH-500 with 4x10 and 1x15), I certainly don't find a lack in bottom end with a Gibson Thunderbird (yes, I know you don't like them on here..!).

My 2p for what it's worth :)[/quote]

I think its the 'thickness' of tone. If you compare the Markbass LM2/3 and the GB Shuttle 6.0, and then even throw in the TC RH450, the Shuttle 6.0 does sound a little thin in comparison.

To some that's fine, it depends on your tone goals.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='997344' date='Oct 22 2010, 05:49 PM']To be fair, I've heard of users maxing the 9.0 s master volume AND having the gain setup
correctly.

From what I've heard, Genz wattage ratings aren't what we are used to. 900W in their world is about 600W in Markbass terms.[/quote]

It's the first time i'm hearing about that! But it seems fair, i always had a hard time believing they could put so much power in such a tiny thing...
I'm coming from a TE and that 300W(ish) at 3,5/10 volume served me well in any kind of big gig. Looks like i won't notice a great increse in volume (in comparison) with the 9.0 but i'm prety shure i'll have a better and more defined tone.

From your post i've started to give more atention to an old idea: get a Berg AE112 or HT112 to couple with the 9er! I always thought that would be the killer rig - light, with a awesome sound - but i was afraid the 300W of the cab wouldn't be enough to handle the headroom of the 9.0's 500W@8Ohm (and yes, i know i can play any amp with an underpowered cab as long i don't exeed it's limits but in open air gigs i was afraid the Berg would be complaining if i raised the volume just one bit more...) and i would be most likely to harm it in a bigger venue!

What would you say the 9's maxed output, in terms of sound perception, is when compared to one of the old Traces? Do you tink the Berg would handle it fine in a open air gig (i play with PA, my amp is only my monitor) playing about 3 meters away from it?

Another cab i'm curious about is the Promethean 1x10", it's the right size and weight but only 250W@8Ohm and may be lacking in the low-end due to it's size. Anybody tried one with a 9er or a 6er? How's the sound?

Sorry for the off-topic, it's late and i'm too tired to compose a new topic just for this...

Cheers

edit: spelling.. but i'm pretty sure there are still alot of them out there hat i can't see!

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='Tegs' post='997584' date='Oct 22 2010, 10:20 PM']Tell me if I'm wrong, but surely your choice of guitar will affect the 'inadequate' bottom end on a 6.0, or for that matter, any amp??

My 2p for what it's worth :)[/quote]

Under stand what you are saying but the head will only voice frequencies as low as 45hz. So even if you cab is a bassy 1x15 that can handle lows down to 33hz, it's still only going to produce lows of 45hz.

Edited by Prime_BASS

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='997737' date='Oct 23 2010, 04:08 AM']....i've started to give more atention to an old idea: get a Berg AE112 or HT112 to couple with the 9er! I always thought that would be the killer rig - light, with a awesome sound - but i was afraid the 300W of the cab wouldn't be enough to handle the headroom of the 9.0's 500W@8Ohm....[/quote]
While a 112 can sound good, on it's own it will never have the poke for more than just a small or quiet gig. You should be looking at two 112's, and 2 AE112's would sound great with a Shuttle 9. If I was starting with Bergantino cabs now I'd be trying out the AE212. I'd be looking at Aguilar 112's for their great sound and I'd be looking at a real 1 cab solution, a Barefaced Compact or a Super Twelve.

[quote name='chris_b' post='997844' date='Oct 23 2010, 10:20 AM']While a 112 can sound good, on it's own it will never have the poke for more than just a small or quiet gig. You should be looking at two 112's, and 2 AE112's would sound great with a Shuttle 9. If I was starting with Bergantino cabs now I'd be trying out the AE212. I'd be looking at Aguilar 112's for their great sound ...............[/quote]

I agree with this on the basis that one of my 12's sounds good in a small rehearsal situation but I always take two as they sound so much better when paired.

i have just bought a barefaced compact cab, i am looking to match it with either a shuttle 9.0, mark bass equivelent (as there are a number to choose from)
or a TC electronic 450, any comments before i go and try them.
i may have bought things the wrong way round but that's me!
the compact has apower rating of 200-600 watts rms at 8 ohms

Edited by jonunders

[quote name='jonunders' post='998089' date='Oct 23 2010, 02:29 PM']....i have just bought a barefaced compact cab, i am looking to match it with either a shuttle 9.0, mark bass equivelent (as there are a number to choose from) or a TC electronic 450, any comments before i go and try them. i may have bought things the wrong way round but that's me! the compact has apower rating of 200-600 watts rms at 8 ohms....[/quote]
Buying the cab first is fine.

The Compact like the Bergantino’s makes a lot of amps sound good. I'd try to hear all the amps you mention. Personally I'd listen to the Shuttle 9 first, but none of them would sound less than great.

[quote name='chris_b' post='997844' date='Oct 23 2010, 10:20 AM']While a 112 can sound good, on it's own it will never have the poke for more than just a small or quiet gig. You should be looking at two 112's, and 2 AE112's would sound great with a Shuttle 9. If I was starting with Bergantino cabs now I'd be trying out the AE212. I'd be looking at Aguilar 112's for their great sound and I'd be looking at a real 1 cab solution, a Barefaced Compact or a Super Twelve.[/quote]

I agree with what you are saying and second it - the 2 x 12s is ideal for the 9, but I just gigged with a single GB 112 with the 9 and it really sounded fantastic, I was told to turn down and I knew that the cab could easily kick out a ton more volume, I mean if you are doing big gigs all the time then obviously you're going to need something like a 4ohm 410 or bigger - but if you're doing a covers band with PA support then a 112 is more than enough - and I have to add that having compared my Epifani 210 to the 112 from Genz I am erring on the side of loving the combination of GB head with GB cab - it sounds incredibly sweet - really rich, gooey tone, and with more bottom end if you need it via the low boost - I agree about the mid cut button - I'm not that bothered about that - but the low boost is definitely good. A Berg 112 or a GB 112 would be a great single cab solution IMO.

It really depends how loud you are playing - personally I hate playing at extremely loud volumes as all the dynamics get lost and everything starts to blur into a big mush - constantly compairing things purely on volume is kind of pointless, the fact the 9 is suposed to kick out 900 watts just means for me that I have more head room in my sound, so setting the amp louder but playing softly gives me a much greater dynamic range.

Back to the OP's question, I currently have a 6 and a 9 (borrowing the 6) and I have to say the 9 does sound fuller overall and thicker / warmer to my ears, but the 6 still kicks ass and you can achieve some wonderful tones with a bit of tweaking - still a great amp for its size and cost - the 9 is a bit more deluxe and seems to run a bit smoother with the obvious bonus of more power if you need it.

M