Why become a member? ×

Covers bands - what's the appeal?

Twigman

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='974082' date='Oct 1 2010, 02:38 PM']I think people in cover bands don't realise that people playing originals aren't doing it to "get famous". Maybe they've been playing covers for so long that they've forgotten what it's like to play music for fun instead of for money.

They could do to join an originals band and be reminded of why they started playing instruments in the first place.[/quote]

I think that we're probably making sweeping generalisations.

When I was in an originals band we wanted to be famous, we thought our music was excellent, we drew large crowds. I now know that the crowds we drew were not there because of the music but because of the excitment of being part of something great.

Listening back now to the 3 or 4 hours worth of material we wrote, mabe 30mins of it was really great. None of it was ever performed well though.

All the originals artists I know want to get signed to a record deal. If anyone knows of one originals band who just want to perform at home or down their local to a few freinds I would be interested to see/hear them.

I have huge amounts of fun in my covers band. I've played 4 gigs this year and been paid £80.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='974082' date='Oct 1 2010, 02:38 PM']I think people in cover bands don't realise that people playing originals aren't doing it to "get famous". Maybe they've been playing covers for so long that they've forgotten what it's like to play music for fun instead of for money.

They could do to join an originals band and be reminded of why they started playing instruments in the first place.[/quote]
So that they can piss off audiences with dreadful songs?

We have a local Battle of the Bands annually. I review the bands and use the pub system to summarise them:

Bands I'd actually bother travelling to a pub to watch
Bands I'd go to the pub that they were playing in if I happened to be nearby
Bands I'd pop in to see if I was in the pub next door
Bands I'd stay to see if I was already in the pub
Bands I'd leave the pub to avoid

At least 40% fall into the last category. Of about a 30 band entry, typically one or two would be bands I'd consider going to see, two or three would be bands I'd pop in to see if I was nearby, ten or so would be ones I'd stay to see, and the remainder would drive me from the pub.

I would probably stay in the pub if a covers band played, as long as they were competent and played music that was reasonably to my taste (that covers John Denver to the Sex Pistols, so odds are that I won't be offended).

I started playing instruments so I could make pleasant noises. I started writing songs because I thought I could add to the canon of good songs in the world, not so I could supplant it.

In fact I play bass to perform music.

I want people to look at me and think "Wow, that's a skill to have. That must be great to be up on stage and be able do that".

That's because that's how I feel when I'm in the audience watching a band.

That's my motivation. Be it covers or originals.

One of the main things I like about this forum is the diversity of those on it. There are all ages from teens to retirees, several different sexes, many musical tastes: jazz, punk, metal, indie, classical, gospel and many others. We have people who never play outside their bedroom, and those who play to large, packed houses, and everything in between.

And we have those who play in tribute bands, covers bands, those who play mostly originals, those who play solo, and those who play in orchestras. Those who make a living from it, and those who would happily play for nothing.

Lets celebrate the diversity of this happy crowd rather than trying to criticise or question peoples choices.

[quote name='chrisba' post='974138' date='Oct 1 2010, 03:06 PM']One of the main things I like about this forum is the diversity of those on it. There are all ages from teens to retirees, several different sexes, many musical tastes: jazz, punk, metal, indie, classical, gospel and many others. We have people who never play outside their bedroom, and those who play to large, packed houses, and everything in between.

And we have those who play in tribute bands, covers bands, those who play mostly originals, those who play solo, and those who play in orchestras. Those who make a living from it, and those who would happily play for nothing.

Lets celebrate the diversity of this happy crowd rather than trying to criticise or question peoples choices.[/quote]

No.

[quote name='chrisba' post='974138' date='Oct 1 2010, 03:06 PM']One of the main things I like about this forum is the diversity of those on it. There are all ages from teens to retirees, several different sexes, many musical tastes: jazz, punk, metal, indie, classical, gospel and many others. We have people who never play outside their bedroom, and those who play to large, packed houses, and everything in between.

[b]Lets celebrate the diversity of this happy crowd rather than trying to criticise or question peoples choices.[/b][/quote]
Why? It would be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooo boring.

[quote name='silddx' post='974072' date='Oct 1 2010, 02:31 PM']f*** me, Jon, that's extremely contentious! :)[/quote]
Is it, though? If you create a piece of music, spend weeks honing the ideas and communicating them to your bandmates, have a clear idea of how you'd like it performed and what enhancements you want the other musicians to bring, practice & refine it until it's right, and finally end up with some thing you [i]love[/i] - then it's going to mean a little bit more to you than cranking out Brown Sugar for the 200th time down at the Stoat & Spigot.

Most bassists in originals bands don't have a huge creative input (been in plenty of "other people's" bands!) and even less so in a covers situation. I have played covers but only alongside an originals band, and while I enjoyed it (mostly) and certainly got paid & laid far more than in any originals band, on reflection it was an empty experience that from my perspective had a negative impact on the "proper" band.

If it was a choice between that & not playing at all, I really don't know. It just made me aware that I'm a creative musician, not a pub entertainer.

J.

[quote name='TimR' post='974097' date='Oct 1 2010, 02:45 PM']All the originals artists I know want to get signed to a record deal. If anyone knows of one originals band who just want to perform at home or down their local to a few freinds I would be interested to see/hear them.[/quote]

I don't want to get a record deal. Kinda got one anyway though. I know loads of bands cheerful to play locally to mate. I'm not adverse to playing out of the vcountry, and can probably make it happen, but it isn't the sole aim, I won't have failed because I don't. I can't say to friends for my stuff, most of my friends are scared of what I do, or involved in doing it.

[url="https://www.yousendit.com/download/WTNMYURKQk5CSnJ2Wmc9PQ"]Here's the last thing I did.[/url]

Silddx, stop winding people up, get your tip rod out and get after a Barbel on the Thames :)
Bilbo, can you make it a "rock opera" based on the thoughts of the chairman? :lol:

After years of writing/performing originals, and years of playing in covers bands, I just wish I was any good at any of it.

Ah well, I can look forward to 2 sets at the Griffin in Newton -le- Willows tonight.

Kill music? My bass playing has been doing that for f£%^($g years.

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='Bassassin' post='974169' date='Oct 1 2010, 03:21 PM']Is it, though? If you create a piece of music, spend weeks honing the ideas and communicating them to your bandmates, have a clear idea of how you'd like it performed and what enhancements you want the other musicians to bring, practice & refine it until it's right, and finally end up with some thing you [i]love[/i] - then it's going to mean a little bit more to you than cranking out Brown Sugar for the 200th time down at the Stoat & Spigot.

Most bassists in originals bands don't have a huge creative input (been in plenty of "other people's" bands!) and even less so in a covers situation. I have played covers but only alongside an originals band, and while I enjoyed it (mostly) and certainly got paid & laid far more than in any originals band, on reflection it was an empty experience that from my perspective had a negative impact on the "proper" band.

If it was a choice between that & not playing at all, I really don't know. It just made me aware that I'm a creative musician, not a pub entertainer.

J.[/quote]

I can only speak for myself but I play bass, guitar, I program, I compose in all sorts of genres and when I am in an original band I have a HUGE creative input because that, for me, is the point. And I bet I'm not the only one either.

Show of hands?

[quote name='Bassassin' post='974169' date='Oct 1 2010, 03:21 PM']Is it, though? If you create a piece of music, spend weeks honing the ideas and communicating them to your bandmates, have a clear idea of how you'd like it performed and what enhancements you want the other musicians to bring, practice & refine it until it's right, and finally end up with some thing you [i]love[/i] - then it's going to mean a little bit more to you than cranking out Brown Sugar for the 200th time down at the Stoat & Spigot.

J.[/quote]
[i]Most bassists in originals bands don't have a huge creative input ..[/i]

That's the contentious bit for me. If anyone in the band can have a massive impact on the way a tune is going, it will be the bassist. On note on the bass can have a huge effect on the song. Bassists have to be creative in many ways. Even in one band where I'm playing written lines, I'm often being creative with the dynamics depending on the night. The other band I get almost carte blanche which then gets edited by the songwriter who seems to trust me and loves what I do, it doesn't get much better than that for a bassist.

[quote name='tauzero' post='974109' date='Oct 1 2010, 02:52 PM']So that they can piss off audiences with dreadful songs?

We have a local Battle of the Bands annually. I review the bands and use the pub system to summarise them:

Bands I'd actually bother travelling to a pub to watch
Bands I'd go to the pub that they were playing in if I happened to be nearby
Bands I'd pop in to see if I was in the pub next door
Bands I'd stay to see if I was already in the pub
Bands I'd leave the pub to avoid

At least 40% fall into the last category. Of about a 30 band entry, typically one or two would be bands I'd consider going to see, two or three would be bands I'd pop in to see if I was nearby, ten or so would be ones I'd stay to see, and the remainder would drive me from the pub.

I would probably stay in the pub if a covers band played, as long as they were competent and played music that was reasonably to my taste (that covers John Denver to the Sex Pistols, so odds are that I won't be offended).

I started playing instruments so I could make pleasant noises. I started writing songs because I thought I could add to the canon of good songs in the world, not so I could supplant it.[/quote]
I feel like I have a very concise answer to this but as I try to type it, the right words are eluding me...I guess I'm tired.

In essence, its a pity that 40% would drive you from the pub but does that mean we should all stop trying? I am proud to create things, to make something from nothing. Personally, I find playing songs other people have created doesn't feel as satisfying. It also seems to feed the trend of recylcing everything, did they really need to remake Clash of the Titans? Ring (in American)? was Super Mario Kart 23 really anything more than different graphics and the same gameplay over, and over, and over. We have the modern luxury (or curse?) to watch/listen to things in repetition to an OCD level...

Uh oh, I'm rambling in an attempt to get a point across. I'll go back to reading instead of talking. I like seeing an original band, they might just surprise me with something amazing, something new, something fresh. Embrace change :)

[quote name='paul h' post='974182' date='Oct 1 2010, 03:28 PM']I can only speak for myself but I play bass, guitar, I program, I compose in all sorts of genres and when I am in an original band I have a HUGE creative input because that, for me, is the point. And I bet I'm not the only one either.

Show of hands?[/quote]

Hand here Paul.

I mostly confine my original efforts to my home studio now, occasional one off shows at local hippy-love-in-student-fest things. Used to be guitar/keys/vocals guy in a few original bands, got fed up of arguing with other musicians at how I wanted it to sound, they either didn't want to put in any input or they wanted to totally rewrite my precious songs.
Easier to hide at home, and sometimes let loose on the dual ouput tenor with combined scary fx unit orchestra in public.

Wanted to make some extra money so I could feed the family despite having a sh*te job. Grab bass, join covers band (bass is the one instrument I can play where I don't give a flying fcuk what song I'm playing, I'll enjoy it). Works for me
AND THEREFORE MUST FOR EVERYONE!!! :)

[quote name='Conan' post='974151' date='Oct 1 2010, 03:14 PM'][i]Several[/i]? :)[/quote]

I once designed a computer system that stored peoples details, and had a binary field for storing their sex, 0=male, 1=female. We sold the system to a local authority in London, and they had at least 5 different values they wanted to put in that field, including "hermaphrodite","born male, now female", "born female, now male" and I'm sure there were some others.

I'm not sure if there are any hermaphrodites or trans-sexuals here, but I was just covering myself :-)

Nice recovery :-)

[quote name='chrisba' post='974250' date='Oct 1 2010, 03:58 PM']I once designed a computer system that stored peoples details, and had a binary field for storing their sex, 0=male, 1=female. We sold the system to a local authority in London, and they had at least 5 different values they wanted to put in that field, including "hermaphrodite","born male, now female", "born female, now male" and I'm sure there were some others.

I'm not sure if there are any hermaphrodites or trans-sexuals here, but I was just covering myself :-)[/quote]

Paul h & Nigel - that's [u]most[/u] bassists in originals bands. :) I suppose being just the one bassist myself, maybe I presume too much, but I don't think so. Numerous threads on here involve people being told what to play, being sacked/failing auditions for playing too much/above the 12th fret (or not having a Precision or SVT!), generally moaning about being musically a second-class citizen in some guitar player's band. It's also reflected in my own experience and that of many bassists I've known over the years.

It certainly looks to me like this typifies the experience of most bassists, and makes it easier & more acceptable to see the move to playing covers as being pretty much inevitable.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='974261' date='Oct 1 2010, 04:03 PM']Paul h & Nigel - that's [u]most[/u] bassists in originals bands. :) I suppose being just the one bassist myself, maybe I presume too much, but I don't think so. Numerous threads on here involve people being told what to play, being sacked/failing auditions for playing too much/above the 12th fret (or not having a Precision or SVT!), generally moaning about being musically a second-class citizen in some guitar player's band. It's also reflected in my own experience and that of many bassists I've known over the years.

It certainly looks to me like this typifies the experience of most bassists, and makes it easier & more acceptable to see the move to playing covers as being pretty much inevitable.

J.[/quote]
That's a fair assessment I suppose Jon.

I'm probably being highly contentious now, but I really do think a large proportion of bassists picked up the instrument because it is easier to play bass with a (simple song-playing) band than it is to play any other stringed instrument. That's not contentious, that is just the truth. However, I do think that a lot of those bassists may have adopted or already held a "second class citizen" attitude, to themselves, the bass, or both and don't even feel worthy or confident to be considered "equal" in their band and have to come on a bass forum to moan about it because they think we are all the same. That may be contentious :lol:

There is probably an element of truth in that, silddx. I suspect there are many, particularly older players, who picked up the bass in splendid isolation without the benefits of mentors, teachers, proper instruction etc and were able to make more sense of it then the guitar as monophonic instruments make more sense than chordal ones at an early stage. As one develops, things get more complicated but, in terms of 'getting started, playing bass in a covers band is probably the shortest distance between picking up a musical instrument and gigging. Now we have the internet, instruction dvds, colleges on contemporary music. Its all more accessible now but, in the recent past, for a lot of us, it was the bass or nothing.