Why become a member? ×

Covers bands - what's the appeal?

Twigman

I've only ever done originals, I wouldn't want to play covers unless I was really desperate for the money.

But then I don't listen to top 40 music or "classic rock" at home, so why would I want to learn a few hours of that material and go gig it to people who do like that stuff? People who like music just enough to turn on the radio at work and buy soundtrack albums or Jeremy Clarkson-branded CDs of "driving music". f*** them, I hope the last thing they hear is "Don't Stop Believing" as they plough into the back of a stationary gas tanker.

I liked the money, free beer/food, meeting loads of new people and contacts, being able to get a better understanding of PA, having a van to use, being put up in sw***y hotels for weddings and getting paid for it, going to other people's parties and getting paid for it, loads of reasons!

All my gear has paid for itself, plus i am a much faster learner and have a more developed ear

Probably the best thing is having a great night out and coming home with a big wad of cash in your pocket

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='973883' date='Oct 1 2010, 01:07 PM']But then I don't listen to top 40 music or "classic rock" at home, so why would I want to learn a few hours of that material and go gig it to people who do like that stuff? People who like music just enough to turn on the radio at work and buy soundtrack albums or Jeremy Clarkson-branded CDs of "driving music". f*** them, I hope the last thing they hear is "Don't Stop Believing" as they plough into the back of a stationary gas tanker.[/quote]
You really believe that's the only alternative?

I know some great covers bands who play pretty unusual stuff to rapturous audiences.

In fact, what they're doing is widening the audiences' musical horizons.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='973892' date='Oct 1 2010, 01:09 PM']Christ, not this again. Every week it's "WHY BE IN A COVERS BAND!? WHY BE IN A COVERS BAND!?" Why don't you just f*** off?[/quote]
I'm sorry
I've never raised the subject before
and I don't think I've seen a thread about it before.....

[quote name='Twigman' post='973898' date='Oct 1 2010, 01:12 PM']I'm sorry
I've never raised the subject before
and I don't think I've seen a thread about it before.....[/quote]
To be fair, this one is a slightly different angle. it's more like:

'I TRAVEL THE WORLD AND GET LOADS OF MONEY FOR PLAYING ORIGINAL MATERIAL. THE REST OF YOU ARE LOSERS.'

:)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='973895' date='Oct 1 2010, 01:11 PM']You really believe that's the only alternative?

I know some great covers bands who play pretty unusual stuff to rapturous audiences.

In fact, what they're doing is widening the audiences' musical horizons.[/quote]

+1

I played some excellent songs (Police, Stevie Wonder, Queen...) whilst in the covers band, we flat out refused to play cheese rock. In fact with our last guitarist we went for the funkier stuff which suited me fine

I remember depping for a mate and having to play Summer of 69. Euugghh.... Still makes me shudder

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='973902' date='Oct 1 2010, 01:14 PM']To be fair, this one is a slightly different angle. it's more like:

'I TRAVEL THE WORLD AND GET LOADS OF MONEY FOR PLAYING ORIGINAL MATERIAL. THE REST OF YOU ARE LOSERS.'

:)[/quote]
LOL

Oh errr do I come across as that sort of w***er?

Oh dear....no my point is.......too many people give up too soon in original bands....I know too that if it stopped tomorrow nothing would make me want to take my bass and play covers in pubs, nothing!.....I just don't get it.

But also I think it's much harder for new originals bands now because too many bands play covers and too many venues think they want covers........covers bands are killing music!!

Sorry

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='973895' date='Oct 1 2010, 01:11 PM']You really believe that's the only alternative?

In fact, what they're doing is widening the audiences' musical horizons.[/quote]

In that case, where are the audience coming from? If they know they're not going to be molly-coddled with a set of songs they already know all the words to, then why are they going to see the band?

Be careful with your answer, it might result in hundreds of cover bands dropping Mustang Sally or Hard To Handle from their setlists, which could be the final nail in the coffin for live music in the UK.

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='973903' date='Oct 1 2010, 01:15 PM']Do some people only enjoy playing bass if they're playing music they love?[/quote]

Yes. Is that so strange? I do it because I like the music that comes out, not because I get joy from the mechanical aspect of moving my fingers around or from observing dads dancing.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='Twigman' post='973907' date='Oct 1 2010, 01:17 PM']LOL

Oh errr do I come across as that sort of w***er?

Oh dear....no my point is.......too many people give up too soon in original bands....I know too that if it stopped tomorrow nothing would make me want to take my bass and play covers in pubs, nothing!.....I just don't get it.

Sorry[/quote]

I've been playing original material for 23 years and still do. Thank god for covers bands, without them I'd have done about 3% of the gigs I have and be a far inferior and less experienced player!

[quote name='Twigman' post='973907' date='Oct 1 2010, 01:17 PM']....I know too that if it stopped tomorrow nothing would make me want to take my bass and play covers in pubs, nothing!....[/quote]

Yeah, that's what I used to say.

:)

I am learning all sorts of crap covers for my new band. Stuff that I would never normally listen to but I am interested in two things...

1. Making a bit of cash

2. The audience having a good time.

I kind of relate to both camps here.

My main band at the moment is a covers band but we will add originals as and when we feel they are upto it. There is a back catologue there already in terms of material.
I don't go along with playing in a band to do a load of stuff because that is why they will like you, so feel you should put more effort into than that, but we decided to get the gigs first and then work in our songs. I happen to think we have an excellent singer/songwriter that I'd want to showcase, and I have done the original thing with him before so it just a question of time.
We will also be more welcome to try these things as the venues will know us..without having to do the hard sell.
Like it or not, venues need to get a return on you so they will look at this apsect first and foremost when booking new.

The other problem is getting enough rehearsal time which is why we will probably have to record them first..
Our excuse is time and money, mostly.
We have never been a play it by numbers band anyway so it will be a pretty natural thing for us.

By the same token, you have to be honest about your material....and if the quality doesn' stand up, then you live or die by that as well.
Depends how good the writing is..and don't try and kid yourself.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='973922' date='Oct 1 2010, 01:24 PM']Erm, nope.....[/quote]
Erm...yep....

Many venues ,say 20 years ago, would happily put on an originals band but these days insist on covers only.....if these covers bands didn't exist and the venue wanted live music they'd still be putting on originals.

I really cant see how it matters what you play, its a bit of a Pi$$ing competition really is it not?

My band play all covers, and all are always greatly received, and it a great feeling when you can nail the tune,the tone and the feeling of that song.

We are writing our own stuff, but to be honest for now they are no-where near as good as the covers we do....yet.

Surely it matters not what you play original or covers? As long as you are playing, for YOUR reasons whatever they may be?

Does it make us lesser players just because we play covers, because that how I perceive some of the comments in this thread.

The Last gig, the owner made a comment to me....."You are one hell of a bass player, I've played bass for over twenty years and the stuff you are doing is just amazing!", its just a great feeling to know you reach people on different levels huh!

Peace :)

Here's the big secret....It can be just as artistically satisfying to play covers as originals. It certainly is for me! I'm not just an entertainer, I'm a musician with something to say! Nobody might notice except me, but I'm still happy. I would never just go through the motions because I'm playing a cover. I don't care what the song is, I'll play it with my own feel and character to satisfy myself as a musician. Nine times out of ten this doesn't mean drastically changing the line, it's just subtle maybe abstract differences. I couldn't do it any other way. I really believe this approach could work for anyone.

Edited by arthurhenry

[quote name='ironside1966' post='973921' date='Oct 1 2010, 01:23 PM']The truth is most people in cover bands have, still or will play in originals. I got to a point where I felt I have invested too much in to playing to work for free. I like people who play for money they tent to have a better attitude and less ego.[/quote]

I can't remember ever being billed with an originals band that had ego problems. We did once get booked to play with a cover band in the USA though - they did top 40 stuff and Stevie Wonder covers. Their singer came backstage where I was warming up and told me to leave, I told him to ask nicely, which resulted in our band and their band having a full-on punch-up. Nine of us and four of them, hahaha. :)

But seriously I don't think I've ever come across an originals band that had ego problems, every band I've gigged with have been nothing but polite, friendly and helpful.

[quote name='Twigman' post='973929' date='Oct 1 2010, 01:26 PM']Many venues ,say 20 years ago, would happily put on an originals band but these days insist on covers only.....if these covers bands didn't exist and the venue wanted live music they'd still be putting on originals.[/quote]

Nope, they want punters in to drink their beer .... they don't really care about the music content so much..well, some do, but most can't afford to.

If you are an originals band and can tell the londlord you'll get 100 in and be good on your word..he'll love you...even if he is upstairs with headphones on...

playing covers doesn't make you a lesser bass player at all.

you are all probably much better than me

I just think covers bands may have their place at weddings or the like but it's not why i started playing bass........I certainly believe that covers bands take work away from originals bands and believe that that is bad for music

ergo covers bands are bad for music.

I disapprove.

I have done both and really enjoyed the original music I worked on in my younger days. I have them all on CD for nostalgia. When I got passed 30 I realised I was not going to make it big from being a professional musician doing the original thang.

Like most other cover band bassists I have to hold down a job and have a family. I enjoy going out at the weekend playing live and seeing the reaction from enthusiastic audiances. We like to stamp our mark on songs ans do some unusual covers of covers that really please the audiance, sometimes you don't know them till the vocals come in. We are not fully prostituting ourselves but work hard to give the audiance something a little different that separates us from most of the run of the mill local cover bands. I also come home with a bit of a profit and have had a enjoyable night out to boot.

[quote name='JTUK' post='973943' date='Oct 1 2010, 01:35 PM']Nope, they want punters in to drink their beer .... they don't really care about the music content so much..well, some do, but most can't afford to.

If you are an originals band and can tell the londlord you'll get 100 in and be good on your word..he'll love you...even if he is upstairs with headphones on...[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Twigman' post='973929' date='Oct 1 2010, 01:26 PM']Erm...yep....

Many venues ,say 20 years ago, would happily put on an originals band but these days insist on covers only.....if these covers bands didn't exist and the venue wanted live music they'd still be putting on originals.[/quote]

Most venues will put on whatever it is they believe will bring people in to spend money on drink. And if that's a Karaoke machine then that will do.

20 years ago, where I was playing, venues weren't interested in covers bands or originals bands - what they wanted were "Blues" bands. It's a fashion thing. It comes and goes.

The truth is that there are more players out there than there are people who can write good songs. If you're fortunate enough to join a band with a good songwriter then you can do originals. If you can't find the good songwriter then you can give up, play in the bedroom, or find some other players in the same boat who like the idea of having some fun playing good songs (covers) that they enjoy. If you get good at that then maybe you'll get some gigs and other people might have some fun listening.