Why become a member? ×

One of the great bass mysteries solved!

matski

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='964546' date='Sep 22 2010, 03:06 PM']Ah, but who on here would go and see them ;-)

Some people on here would claim they could tell if he had a Duracell or Eveready battery in his bass lol.[/quote]
No, a TRUE bassist claims they can tell what colour the lining of the interior of the instrument's case is, purely by listening.
Seriously.
:)

[quote name='chris_b' post='964488' date='Sep 22 2010, 02:01 PM']....oh and he's just wants to screw up any Muse tribute bands out there![/quote]

That is very true..we are looking at a Muse track with heavily distorted bass...and it is very hard to get anywhere near that sound across the strings.. Admittedly, I am only using a Tone Hammer, or trying to use that.
Anyway..you know what we have come up with... as a get around?
A straights 8ths thumbed sound...not double plucked as that washes out too easily. Not perfect but it gives the line prominence
and keeps it right up front and we can bin the distortion idea.
And it saves me having to buy a dedicated fuzz box thingey for the purpose of one song.

As much of a result as I can be bothered with for a Muse song.

[quote name='Conan' post='964460' date='Sep 22 2010, 01:37 PM']So how come with all that gear, his sound is essentially the same for every track? :)[/quote]

Its cos the first sounded sh*te and after elentyten others it was confirmed "worse than first thought".....possibly ....maybe :rolleyes:

Frankly, I should think he wouldn't care too much about a few detractors on an internet forum arguing why he has so many basses after selling millions of albums worldwide and becoming one of the most successful British recording artists ever.

I think Chris Wolstenholme had the misfortune of becoming one of those cult bass players who's sound became one of the most widely imitated in current years. I've seen a few people go out and buy Pedullas, then sell them and get Rickenbackers because that's what he did, and then buy a Zon or whatever etc. etc. he probably must just laugh to himself and count himself lucky that so many people care about a sound that he created in the first place.

[quote name='risingson' post='965121' date='Sep 22 2010, 11:29 PM']Frankly, I should think he wouldn't care too much about a few detractors on an internet forum arguing why he has so many basses after[b] selling millions of albums[/b] worldwide and becoming one of the most successful British recording artists ever.[/quote]

Did he sell them all at car boot fairs :)

Edited by dave_bass5

I actually think that he has some cool sounds, but that rig is just ridiculous.

Reminds of that quote 'Bureaucracy expands to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.' The different chains will eventually achieve mystic qualities as they get more complicated and there will be 16 guys backstage programming and switching things in and out at various points.

None of which can ever be fired because everybody is scared that the system has become so incomprehensible that nobody will ever figure out what it is that they did.

Wait... it is actually the Irish Public Service I am annoyed at.

Carry on Chris.

Edited by PapillonIrl

[quote name='risingson' post='965121' date='Sep 22 2010, 11:29 PM']Frankly, I should think he wouldn't care too much about a few detractors on an internet forum arguing why he has so many basses after selling millions of albums worldwide and becoming one of the most successful British recording artists ever.

I think Chris Wolstenholme had the misfortune of becoming one of those cult bass players who's sound became one of the most widely imitated in current years. I've seen a few people go out and buy Pedullas, then sell them and get Rickenbackers because that's what he did, and then buy a Zon or whatever etc. etc. he probably must just laugh to himself and count himself lucky that so many people care about a sound that he created in the first place.[/quote]

hilarous.....

I do like those videos of incredibly complex live set ups. I saw the Justin Chancellor one, where the Wal bass sound is processed through lots of different processors, pre-amps effects and 'clean' and 'dirty' rigs. I admire the effort and both players have the money to try whatever set up they want, so more power to them. I prefer the Matt Pike one, its funnier and despite him being a guitarist, I at least have a vague idea of how the rig works! Not sure he was that sober when doing it though.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvuuhr4fcz0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvuuhr4fcz0[/url]

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='964836' date='Sep 22 2010, 07:52 PM']What you on about they all sound the same? The Status ones sound way worse and a lot thinner than all his others! :) (Running away from the usual Status suspects!)[/quote]

His Status collection should certainly be rescued by someone who can put it to good use (Eg, someone who will let the basses shine and be heard). Leave Chris Walthamstowe or whatever his name is with a P bass, it'll sound just the same through his rig!

Personally, if i was in a band which toured around the world playing huge stadiums, full of tens of thousands of people at a time, and to millions of people throughout the duration of a tour who wanted to hear me play music that me and my mates wrote, i'd change basses every song.
In fact, i'd change batteries in the bass between each song, I'd have every pedal that had been manufactured, sitting around, ready, just in case, and of course a thousand brown M&M's in a brandy glass at every gig.

All because i'd be in a world famous rock band playing stadiums, and therefore I'd be able to do that.

[quote name='bluesparky' post='965385' date='Sep 23 2010, 10:53 AM']Personally, if i was in a band which toured around the world playing huge stadiums, full of tens of thousands of people at a time, and to millions of people throughout the duration of a tour who wanted to hear me play music that me and my mates wrote, i'd change basses every song.
In fact, i'd change batteries in the bass between each song, I'd have every pedal that had been manufactured, sitting around, ready, just in case, and of course a thousand brown M&M's in a brandy glass at every gig.

All because i'd be in a world famous rock band playing stadiums, and therefore I'd be able to do that.[/quote]

Too right, same here. I would also have way to many large cabs, because i don't have to carry them.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='965349' date='Sep 23 2010, 10:23 AM']His Status collection should certainly be rescued by someone who can put it to good use (Eg, someone who will let the basses shine and be heard). Leave Chris Walthamstowe or whatever his name is with a P bass, it'll sound better through his rig![/quote]

Fixed!

[quote name='JTUK' post='965136' date='Sep 22 2010, 11:50 PM']hilarous.....[/quote]

I like Muse, but I think people have their right of opinion. Funny though, everyone who I have spoken to who have seen them, whether they bought ticket last minute off a mate or just went with crowd of mate said they do great stadium show.. So I guess some of the gear does help..

Alot of people buy distortion pedal and tone benders etc to emulate his sound... I think Chris really doesn't care.. He's privileged to earn sh*t of cash doing what he loves.. of course he's gonna buy loads of gear and play it on the tours.. does it all make that much difference on a big stage... nah.. but it's a great life :-)

Be honest we'd all do the same and if not.. you're lying.

Just the BC'esr on this site have enough gear to buy a half a flat :-)

[quote name='matski' post='964396' date='Sep 22 2010, 12:50 PM']So the secret is revealed at last! It is of course due to the eternal quest for [b]TONE[/b]! You see, each of those 5 Jazz basses have different 'subtle tonal nuances'. This is the reason for switching from Fender > Status > Rickenbacker > Gibson Grabber etc., etc. Then of course these subtle nuances are hugely enhanced by running them through a myriad of effects such as Big Muffs, Animatos and octavers.[/quote]

Maybe they've did some market research and found that their audience doesn't take drugs, causing a sudden scrabbling for improved sound due to the realisation that the audience will actually remember what they sounded like the next morning.

My daughter came back from the Wembley Muse gig with phone video of a massive stage set stuffed with lights, lasers and alien spaceships full of acrobats. Looked great, sounded phenomenal even on a phone, and somewhere in all that lot were some tiny figures apparently playing, or maybe changing, musical instruments.

Being very old, I can remember when Pink Floyd, Yes, ELP etc got into all this foolishness in the 1970s and the direct result was Punk Rock.

I think you should all be very afraid.

Edited by spinynorman