Why become a member? ×

fretless situations

Colledge

i'm having my first venture into fretless playing and i hope to eventually get half decent at it so i can use it in a live situation.

i'm quite impressed with the range of tones i can extract from it, even some nice growly driven MM tones, no doubt mostly due to a beefy humbucker, roundwounds and a rock solid fingerboard coating.

my question is do you think there are any situations where a fretless bass should never be used?
any objections to using a fretless for songs that where never originally intended for fretless playing?

Not at all. Fretless is just as valid as fretted in every style of music, I reckon. The only time I object is when it's really cheesy. I played a fretless almost exclusively in my old funk metal band and it was fine, it really added something, but it was subtle, sounding like a fretted most of the time.

Go forth and groove, don't let your lack of frets hold you back

ped

It's a funny one, my band aren't too taken with me playing mine.

I've had it on 4 tracks on the new CD, and 3 are fairly double bass esqe, thuddy with a few wobbled notes. But one track i've gone for it a bit, and it's thrown them, just because it's more obviously fretless.

I've stuck to my guns and refused to re-record it until everything else is on top. I know it's right, the drummer, who loves the part is backing me up. Think the Keyboard player hates it because it treads on her over the top playing, and the singer isn't sure because although my fretless intonation is spot on, his vocal chords aren't always and it's throwing him.

Anyhow, for the greater good, i have a fretted version of the line if it needs sorting.

I say go forth and multiply the fretless fun, i'm hoping it will be a 50:50 split in my band playing.

[quote name='Colledge' post='956284' date='Sep 14 2010, 05:43 PM']my question is do you think there are any situations where a fretless bass should never be used?[/quote]

No, not really where it should "never be used".

But it all comes down to what sound/tone you want, obviously playing slap on a fretless produces a quite distinctive sound and lacks the attack of a fretted and it depends on whether this is the sound you'd want, two handed tapping takes some precision on a fretless, if you're into this.

If you've good intonation then all things are possible :)

Despite my earlier attempt at humour about playing on dark stages I just used my fretless to play along with some of the songs from our set for a chnage. Ok its an Aria and not my usual Ray so its feels quite different an sounds different. It's lined so makes playing easier. I'm no newb on the fretless but quite often feel I don't get enough out of it. Anyway I will have to gig it a bit more. This thread has given me the inspiration to go for it. I'll still take my Ray along for the odd song or two. :)

[quote name='bass 2' post='956523' date='Sep 14 2010, 08:50 PM']Go for it. But it can be a bit of a headache when your fellow band members are out of tune[ guitarists/ singers][/quote]

that's the beauty of fretless, if someone is out of tune, even if its you, just move slightly up or down the neck to compensate

[quote name='mep' post='956431' date='Sep 14 2010, 07:28 PM']On a very dark stage! :rolleyes:[/quote]

A serious point, especially if you can't hear yourself too well.

Make sure your side marker dots are in the right place (cheaper fretless basses often have them positioned as a fretted bass), and put a little dab of luminous paint on them.

It works, believe me. :)

The other tough thing to deal with, even if your intonation is correct, is playing with a guitar player with a slightly out of tune guitar - or with an in-tune guitar that just had a capo put on and has shifted everything sharp a little. When this happens on more than a few songs on a gig, that's when I begin to wish I'd brought a fretted.

We are rehearsing with a new band and I only play fretless bass...Great but there's one big disadvantage.
The band features three really good looking girls and because I have to play spot on I don't have the opportunity to look at those girls who perform a really sexy show..
In other situations : I often bring a fretless along when I know that the repertoire is going to be "boring". Cliché covers can be adventurous again when you play fretless, keeps you busy anyway..

[quote name='wombatboter' post='957408' date='Sep 15 2010, 05:03 PM']We are rehearsing with a new band and I only play fretless bass...Great but there's one big disadvantage.
The band features three really good looking girls and because I have to play spot on I don't have the opportunity to look at those girls who perform a really sexy show..[/quote]

:)

Congrats. I think you've definitely found a place where fretless is not so good.

EDIT: Or maybe it'll help get your intonation even better so you can look :rolleyes:

Edited by purpleblob

[quote name='wombatboter' post='957408' date='Sep 15 2010, 05:03 PM']We are rehearsing with a new band and I only play fretless bass...Great but there's one big disadvantage.
The band features three really good looking girls and because I have to play spot on I don't have the opportunity to look at those girls who perform a really sexy show..[/quote]

Learn to delegate. Like get us guys along to do the looking, and you just concentrate on that intonation.

Everybody happy :)