Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What a disappointment!

bobpalt

I can't believe how disappointed and, yes, angry I feel at the moment, over something so small.

I tried out one of the new Kala U Basses (the ukulele thing) in Bassdirect the other day, and was really blown away by it. The only problem was, (apart from the cost), I didnt like the mahogany top, and thought it looked cheap. Anyway, I saw a spruce version advertized by a company in Taunton called Westside Music Centres, who specialize in ukuleles, and they confirmed, yes, they had one in stock, it was a bit cheaper than the mahogany version, and the most important thing (I have an acoustic gig on Saturday that it would be PERFECT for), they could deliver it today.

It arrived as promised, but the first thing I noticed was that it was loose in a cardboard box, surrounded by a few handfuls of shredded paper, and not the gig bag it was supposed to be supplied with. No matter, Westside had included in the box (why they hadnt put the instrument in it for the journey I dont know), quite a nice Stagg pod case. There was no paperwork of any kind in the box, and to be honest, it was so dusty it looked like it had been hanging in the shop for a while.

I plugged it into a tuner, nothing. Tried it into my amp, nothing. Tried 3 different leads, as it didnt seem to be producing a signal of any kind, nothing. I took the tiny panel off the back to see if anything electrical had fallen off in transit, and all was ok, so it is obviously faulty in some way. I rang the dealer, who on the website professes to check everything out before it is sent, and promises exceptional customer service, only to be told that they were sorry, there was nothing they could do as there were no more spruce models due till the end of October, but they would send me a new mahogany one if I paid the difference in price. I said no, both to paying more for their error in sending a faulty uke and because I dont like them, and expressed massive disappointment, as the only reason they had got my order was because they could deliver today for the gig saturday. This had no effect, and to compound the problem, the guy said that they would arrange collection, but would only refund my money when they got it back and confirmed it "really was faulty". That just rubbed salt in.

I know I am disappointed, but does it really annoy other people like it does me when shops say that they offer wonderful service, that they check every item, etc etc, when these are obviously just words, and what they really do is throw things in boxes just like the rest? This is not the first time I have been sorely disappointed by a lack of promised "superlative service", and I'm sure it wont be the last. Promises and boasts are just words on a page, when all is said and done.

Just found this in a review:

[i]Note that the pickup system is completely passive: There’s no preamp, no volume control, no EQ knobs, not even a passive tone—just plug a cord into the endpin jack, fire up the amp, and you’re off. As with most passive piezo pickups, for the best sound you’ll need to use an amp with at least a 1 meg-ohm input impedance or add a separate preamp box.[/i]

Don't know if this helps or not though :)

[quote name='molan' post='944675' date='Sep 3 2010, 04:10 PM']Just found this in a review:

[i]Note that the pickup system is completely passive: There’s no preamp, no volume control, no EQ knobs, not even a passive tone—just plug a cord into the endpin jack, fire up the amp, and you’re off. As with most passive piezo pickups, for the best sound you’ll need to use an amp with at least a 1 meg-ohm input impedance or add a separate preamp box.[/i]

Don't know if this helps or not though :)[/quote]

I thought that there probably would be a lack of output, but it wouldnt even drive my tuner! I was using an Orange Bass Terror, so I presume that should have been ok?

[quote name='bobpalt' post='944686' date='Sep 3 2010, 04:20 PM']I thought that there probably would be a lack of output, but it wouldnt even drive my tuner! I was using an Orange Bass Terror, so I presume that should have been ok?[/quote]

I'm not clever enough to know, lol.

You'd think so though!

Yup - this rubs me way up the wrong way. Had similar experience with the Bass Centre late last year. I ordered one of the new Fender Am Std 5 string Jazz basses. Was told it would be coming into them within a week, then onto me. Took at least 6-7 weeks for the bass to show up. To compound my annoyance I was told it came to them first, rather than be sent to me directly, because the Bass Centre gives them their once over and professional set-up before it leaves to go on to the customer. Now either mine was never looked at or folks - NEVER send your bass in for a set-up there. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt (only because I'm a sarky git) but when the bass finally did arrive the neck was beyond loose - each screw needed at least 7-8 turns to be properly tightened.

I'm in Ireland so that's the price I pay for ordering online. I could have sent it back and lost more money. As it is I have a great bass but I doubt I've ever shop there again, which is a shame as I bought plenty there on each trip to the Liverpool St shop and the one before that.

[quote name='Johnston' post='944714' date='Sep 3 2010, 04:52 PM']is [url="http://www.wmcmusic.co.uk/kala-ubass-2-spruce-top-ukulele-bass-electro-acoustic-includes-free-pod-case.html"]this[/url] the thing your talkin about.

I have give up with the online thing and stickin to ebay and Amazon. I 'bought' a thing from a music store and a week later after I asked where it was, got told they were waiting on them coming into stock it would be three months. This despite it being in stock on the website.[/quote]
Thats it, and it says "available to buy", which it plainly isnt, as the last one is sat in my hallway now.......

[quote name='bobpalt' post='944686' date='Sep 3 2010, 04:20 PM']I thought that there probably would be a lack of output, but it wouldnt even drive my tuner! I was using an Orange Bass Terror, so I presume that should have been ok?[/quote]

If it was purely an impedance mismatch problem with the piezo into an appliance expecting a magnetic pickup signal then you could expect misbehaviour - a very weak signal with a terrible sound focused in high mids was my experience - but no sound at all is suspicious. Have you tried really cranking your amp to see if you hear anything? If you do get a weedy signal when it's cranked then perhaps it's just that you need a preamp.

If you have a friendly neighbourhood double bassist who would let you plug your uke into their gear you could find out for sure if it's just that your gear can't handle the output from a piezo. FWIW I wouldn't expect the Orange Bass Terror to get away with it, without a preamp to sort the impedance out.

Edited by thisnameistaken

God, that thing is ugly.(sorry, only my opinion :) )How much?? Think you would've been
better off going for a decent hollowbody or something..or even a 2 string ordinary acoustic guitar.

Sorry to hear about your problem. Probably better off trying basschat/flea bay/Amazon in future.

If you all post a link to this thread on facebook, myspace, blogs etc. google will pick it up and eventually this page will rank higher on search engine results than their own website. You have the power to make them take notice! :)

The Bass Centre were VERY aware of negative feedback on this site but they still didn't make any significant improvements to their service. Sometimes its like leading a horse to water...

Have to say i'm really surprised about this. I have used Westside a few times (instore, not online), and i've always thought their customer service was really good. Hope this is just a one-off and you get everything sorted out.
Along the same lines, i'm having a bit of hassle with these people [url="http://www.soundunlimited.co.uk/search_result.php?q=nexus&gclid=CJjKwdm-7qMCFY1k4wodsX_l3A"]http://www.soundunlimited.co.uk/search_res...CFY1k4wodsX_l3A[/url]. Anybody else had trouble here?

Edited by silentbob

I completely understand how you feel - if something isn't packaged well, and then doesn't work out of the box they should take it back, no hassle and no "if it really is faulty" etc. And why on earth would you not put an instrument in the case??

I looked at these on Bob Gollihur's site, but two things put me off. I used to own an Ashbury...it was fun, but had a few problems. I've also read that the tuners/strings can break and be unreliable - that was enough to get me back to on the upright.....

Hope you get it sorted