Why become a member? ×

Rodger Waters Black Precision

Cygnus x-1

Apart from a few very early photos of Roger playing a Ricky and a sunburst precision (Fender?) the only bass i've seen him play for the last 30+ years is his Fender black/black/maple precision.

Is this the same bass? has anybody actually seen him play any other bass? if it is the same one, it looks to be in remarkably good condition.

Any thoughts, cheers, Nick.

Probably has been through a few, just seems odd to have the exact same colour combo, it's almost like his signature colour. Geddy Lee is almost always pictured with the black jazz but i've also seen him with plenty of other colours.

I like Roger Waters, I think he's cool, I just wondered if he'd ever used a different make or colour combo?...... Nick.

[quote name='YouMa' post='938504' date='Aug 27 2010, 11:03 PM']I like waters to,quite a dark man i feel.I always get the impression he has always been angry at the for being robbed of a father. Who could blame him,[color="#FF0000"][b]a superb song writer.[/b][/color][/quote]

+1,000,000

[quote name='cd_david' post='938521' date='Aug 27 2010, 11:22 PM']Im just putting one together as I have joined a Floyd tribute.

Never really rated Waters until I was learning the sets. Not technically challenging but difficult arrangements with tasty variations and like you say great song writer.[/quote]

And superb 'feel'!

[quote name='cd_david' post='938521' date='Aug 27 2010, 11:22 PM']Im just putting one together as I have joined a Floyd tribute.

Never really rated Waters until I was learning the sets. Not technically challenging but difficult arrangements with tasty variations and like you say great song writer.[/quote]

.....whats the band called? unfortunately having never seen Floyd, 'tributes' are the only way now, i've seen, Australian PF, Pulse, Off the Wall, & Shine On 4 or 5 times each, aren't Shine On bassed in the north east?

Waters is so much more than his bass ability, IMHO he does what is necessary with the bass.

[quote name='YouMa' post='938526' date='Aug 27 2010, 11:26 PM']If anyone hasnt seen it check out the live pompei dvd there is a good simple jam that really highlights the chemistry between waters and gilmour.[/quote]

i will do, [i]one of these days[/i]

sorry...i'll, um, get me coat.

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' post='938463' date='Aug 27 2010, 09:55 PM']Is this the same bass? has anybody actually seen him play any other bass? if it is the same one, it looks to be in remarkably good condition.

Any thoughts, cheers, Nick.[/quote]

Grover Jackson made a new birdseye maple neck for Rogers black precision in 1977/78 (the letter from Floyd equipment tech Phil Taylor to Grover ordering the neck, along with birdseye maple Strat & Tele necks for Gilmour, is dated 8th December 1977).
The neck was ordered with a lacquer finish & with a Fender decal on the headstock. A "thicker than normal if possible" truss rod was also requested.

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' post='938622' date='Aug 28 2010, 09:22 AM'].....whats the band called? unfortunately having never seen Floyd, 'tributes' are the only way now, i've seen, Australian PF, Pulse, Off the Wall, & Shine On 4 or 5 times each, aren't Shine On bassed in the north east?

Waters is so much more than his bass ability, IMHO he does what is necessary with the bass.[/quote]

It is Shine On and yes they are based in the North East

Cheers

Dave

[quote name='cd_david' post='938941' date='Aug 28 2010, 06:28 PM']It is Shine On and yes they are based in the North East

Cheers

Dave[/quote]

Dave, you are playing in my town on Nov 12th, will try to put the word about. Will try to put a flyer in the local newsagent because the more people turn up the more chance of rock gigs in our town.

The last time I saw your band was about a year ago, was that before you joined?

Love floyd tributes me, can't get enough. cheers Nick

[quote name='YouMa' post='938526' date='Aug 27 2010, 11:26 PM']If anyone hasnt seen it check out the live pompei dvd there is a good simple jam that really highlights the chemistry between waters and gilmour.[/quote]

Oh Jebus, one of my favourite Floyd versions of one of my favourite Floyd tracks is on this - Echoes Part 1.

One for the eagle-eyed - Nick Mason Drops a stick during One of these days.

Who knows who played what cos there;s a lot of debate as to who played on which songs. The only way to tell if its Roger is if you can actually see him playing.

One of my biggest influences

I've always loved Roger's style. No flash, just the right notes at the right time. I guess that's the unintentional Pink Floyd ethos.

Listen to the outro of Shine on Wish You Were Here. It sounds like a bunch of pensioners playing, but the way it makes you feel in indescribable.

[quote name='Hamsalad' post='939338' date='Aug 29 2010, 01:28 PM']I've always loved Roger's style. No flash, just the right notes at the right time. I guess that's the unintentional Pink Floyd ethos.

Listen to the outro of Shine on Wish You Were Here. It sounds like a bunch of pensioners playing, but the way it makes you feel in indescribable.[/quote]

Not sure how much I'd agree with the pensioners playing :) In my opinion, the whole of Shine On is a pinnacle of human musical achievement. It moves me unlike another other piece I have ever heard. The feel, technique and skill is outstanding.

Waters' bass playing on records at least is ideal for the music. His tone is the classic pick-flats Precision tone. Have A Cigar is the best example from the top of my head!

[quote name='faceman' post='939667' date='Aug 29 2010, 10:47 PM']Not sure how much I'd agree with the pensioners playing :) In my opinion, the whole of Shine On is a pinnacle of human musical achievement. It moves me unlike another other piece I have ever heard. The feel, technique and skill is outstanding.

Waters' bass playing on records at least is ideal for the music. His tone is the classic pick-flats Precision tone. Have A Cigar is the best example from the top of my head![/quote]

When I said pensioners, I was making a tongue in cheek reference to how slow and delicate the music was. And I would be inclined to agree with you about the pinnacle of human musical achievement, had I not heard Gates of Delirium by Yes. But anyway, let's not send this off on a tangent.

Apparently Dave did play a lot of the bass parts when recording, as he could get them down in a lot less time then Roger (something we've yet to have Roger confirm himself, and like that would ever happen) - but listening to any live recordings, and you can hear he's competent enough for everyone to assume he played on the albums.