Why become a member? ×

How much did your collection cost

luckman67

This is not a nosey question,but I was just taking an updated picture of my bass guitar collection & what it cost in total. I now own 5 basses 2 which my girlfriend bought me & 1 which was a present from my 2 kids. When I added it all together I thought of some of the basses that I could not afford, with what my little collection cost i.e Sadowsky or Fender CS & many others.

2003 Musicman S.U.B. £99.99
1989 Squier Precision (MIK) £90
1964 Hofner 500/1 £175
1992 Rickenbacker 4003 £650
2009 Tanglewood Acoustic £220

Total cost £1,234.99

Not sure how I'll feel after I add it all up... but here we go :rolleyes:

Westfield B4000 Jazz bass - £40 (fantastic J bass!)
Westfield VS4A, Warwick Thumb style bass - £80
Warwick Corvette $$ - £382
Stagg M300/5, 5-string Stingray copy - £180
Peavey International Series 5-string - £120 (for sale, by the way :o)
MusicMan Stingray 2EQ - £695
OLP MM2, quilt-effect top - £130 (my main bass, with a few upgrades)
OLP MM2, black - £100
OLP MM2, metallic blue - £120 (soon to be converted to fretless)
Ibanez SR400 (old type, with P/J pickups and 3-band EQ) - £140
Wesley Monarch, Spector type of bass - £120 (with a pickup upgrades and added a 3-band preamp too)
Jim Deacon Precision (actually PJ type) - £50

total... £2157
Ah, not as bad as I thought. :)

and a couple of those basses I should really sell (the Jim Deacon for instance, nice P-bass vibe but... what do you do when you don't like P-basses :o, and the Wesley... I played that a lot but when I discovered the OLP/Stingrays it has remained gathering dust)
Because they look pretty and all, but I don't play them and I need space in my instrument racks... or maybe I can use the cash to buy anothr bass or two. Maybe another OLP? Nah! :lol:

If you consider the Roscoe Century Standard I have at the mo, and the cost of the RIM Marseer & GB Spitfire Basses which are being built and nearing completion at the mo the figure is horrific. 3 instruments and I could of bough a really good car…

And thats before you even touch amps and cabs…

If I was to add others I've owned over the last 2 years… Overwater Evolution, Warwick Thumb, Godlyke Disciple, KSD Proto-J, Yamaha TRB… I need to go have a sit down! :-(

Do i have to factor in losses for stuff i've sold?

God, it doesn't bear thinking about. Trying to figure in Mods and stuff.

US 75 Jazz £1200 ish
Mexi 60's Jazz £500 ish
Mexi 50's Prec £450 ish
Jap 62 Prec £500 ish
Jap 70's Prec £500 ish
Ricky 4003 £1200 ish
Warwick Corvette £600 i think
Squier SQ Jap Precision £80 donation to a mates charity.
Yamaha BB300 £100

Over £5k at the moment, which is worrying.

1981 - current second hand fretless Marathon swapped for the fretted I had at the time. That originally cost £175 new.
Add to that the cost of getting a bridge pickup added a few years later, and a Badass bridge at the same time, say £60, and then more recently a Wizard replacement for the bridge DiMarzio, and the Shergold pickup remagnetised at £75.

Cheapskate territory really :) .

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='933756' date='Aug 23 2010, 03:18 PM']If you consider the Roscoe Century Standard I have at the mo, and the cost of the RIM Marseer & GB Spitfire Basses which are being built and nearing completion at the mo the figure is horrific. 3 instruments and I could of bough a really good car…

And thats before you even touch amps and cabs…

If I was to add others I've owned over the last 2 years… Overwater Evolution, Warwick Thumb, Godlyke Disciple, KSD Proto-J, Yamaha TRB… I need to go have a sit down! :-([/quote]

If you'd have bought a really good car it would have depreciated to almost nothing and have cost you a fortune in running costs.

Buying lots of basses is a much better investment. :)

Edited by Fat Rich

It can be frightning when you sit down & look at your collection, and what it cost and then the worst one what it would cost to replace on a like for like.

example aprox prices

MM SUB £400
Squier £200
'64 500/1 £1750
Ric 4003 £1400
T.A.B £250

Total £4000

And remember this is just on the basses we own now,how much we would have paid over the years I started in 1987 & how much we lost on basses that I never want to know the answer to.

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='933825' date='Aug 23 2010, 04:18 PM']If you'd have bought a really good car it would have depreciated to almost nothing and have cost you a fortune in running costs.

Buying lots of basses is a much better investment. :)[/quote]

Agreed….

Amp etc included I prob have 10k worth… Oh my...

Hate to think what the blue mofo on the wall cost me but i'm going to say in terms of actual parts that are on the bass (not taking into account the money i wasted on my so called "custom" bass lolz). I would say:

Peavey 5 string+ EMG preamp/EQ: £215
"Custom" bass (cyan): £300
"Ratberg" (buggered looking jazz copy with MM pickup hence the "berg" bit lolz): £200

In total I spent £715 on my current 3 I would say. I reckon i would get about 1/3rd of that back if i'm lucky. That's mostly my fault though for being a bit too "handy" with the powertools and sandpaper to be honest!

Edited by EdwardHimself

Current

Ricky 4003 - About £1,200
Fender Jazz US - £480
MM Stingray - £750
Gibson T-Bird - £850
Fender Jazz Mex - £375
Double Bass - £0
Total £3,655 (feck :rolleyes: )

Ex
MM Stingray V - £750
Gibson T-Bird - £799
Fender P US - £699
Fender Jazz V Mex- £450
Fender P-Deluxe US- £750
Takamine Acoustic - £350
Marlin Slammer - £180
Pbass copy - £75
Total £4,053 (double feck :) )

Obviously I've recooped cash from the ex list but..................................feck!!!

Cetera's list should be good!

Presently I have genuinely lost count of how many basses & bass projects are stacking up around me. I don't really want to depress myself by counting the bodies, and adding up what I spent on them, but considering the type of disreputable junk that gives me amusement and ensures my playing stays sloppy and awkward, at a rough guess it's probably not more than about £120.

Jon.

Ok, I've got to admit I'm shocked at how much I've spent.....

But when I worked out that I've been playing about 22 years on and off, that's approx 264 months....

It works out at about £50 a month (including all amps and effects) - which is actually completely fine by me for all the enjoyment I've got out of playing bass and the people I've met through music.

this thread must've kicked off so much guilt around the BC community.
I'm sitting on the following spends:
'79 MM 'Ray £550
'63 P Bass £1250
'89 G&L Asat £550
'08 Sandberg Cali JM4 Supreme £1100

makes £3450 total; but I reckon that apart from the Sandberg they are worth a lot more.....so I can live with it.
it's got to be better than letting the bank use my hard earned cash.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='933879' date='Aug 23 2010, 04:56 PM']My wife can work a pc so you have got no chance! :) (most stuff is listed below you do the maths!)

EBS_freak do you want to join in at this point?........No I didnt think so![/quote]
I would imagine the sum total of all was in the region of £12...................................
I have arrived at this figure because my wife is overlooking me