Why become a member? ×

Talk to me about the modern Rickenbacker 4003...

Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='928684' date='Aug 18 2010, 02:40 PM']Just curious. Always loved the shape, never really played one properly.

Going through a reshuffle and I must admit they do catch my eye.

Not sure I want to risk £1600 on bass which, like with Fender, you have to be careful with the QC again.

Ideas?[/quote]

Definitely play one before you buy, although QC isn't an issue in my experience - I've played several Ric basses and guitars and all have been really well made. QC is certainly not as variable as Fender (IMO!).

But they are very quirky in terms of both sound and playability, especially if you play fingerstyle. Also the neck profile is completely different to anything alse I've played. I love them, but I do know people who find them awkward or uncomfortable to play.

In terms of sound, IMO they're much more versatile than they're given credit for, and really sit well in the mix. But again a matter of personal taste.

The ultimate Marmite bass though - and I have met people who love the looks, but can't get on with them.

Edited by simon1964

Try them first, by all means, but watch out for the ones with 'fat necks'. I had a Blue Boy a few years back and it had a clubby neck which I grew to dislike as it was radically fatter than my 4001s. The 4003 now sports the pull-pot where u can re-engage the cap on the rear pup. Again, go try, but also try an old 4001, too.

RIC QC is hit & miss, IMO.

Edited by Stacker

I've had a couple - a 1980-ish 4001 with a clubby neck, which I loved as it had really low action and cut through well and a 1990s 4003 with a very slim Jazz type neck which I wasn't so keen on.

My experience is that these are very awkward to play fingerstyle, due to big sharp metal-edged gap around bridge p/u, but quite comfortable pick-style (as long as you take off the attractive but useless pickup cover). The neck variance between my two basses suggests you should always try-before-you-buy in case the profile doesn't suit. The sound is quite distinctive but can go more Fender-ish if you play with the tone and pickup selection. The body is slab and so will not be comfortable to all.

Bottom line: quirky basses, probably hellishly over-priced for what they are but with an ugly-doll type charm all of their own. I just prefer the hang and feel of a Fender.

[quote name='Toasted' post='928766' date='Aug 18 2010, 04:25 PM']The parrallel strings are totally weird.[/quote]
+1

I've only had a quick noodle on one, but it was the oddest quick noodle I've had in my life. Odd neck profile, and the lack of taper was really disconcerting. Very "lively" feel in the hands, though, which was nice.

All that said, Gareth, they had a couple of Rics in GuitarGuitar the other day when I looked in, so why don't you go and try one out? Easy!

All valid points, but for me the neck profile is actually pretty comfortable when you get used to it, and the slightly shorter (than Fender) scale length gives a very playable feel.

Playing fingerstyle also takes some getting used to. But with the bridge pickup cover removed, I find it pretty comfortable now.

Quirky they are, but they also have a really unique charm - even the modern ones. They are expensive, but that probably reflects the relatively small output, the fact that they've never produced cheaper branded versions in the Far East, and the fact that they've been much more aggressive towards copies than other major manufacturers - all of which means they're harder to come by, and (rightly or wrongly) people are prepared to pay premium prices.

I have owned a January 2009 4003 for 8 months from new and I am now going to trade it / sell it (there's a thread on it BUT I'm posting to answer your question, not to try and sell it to you).

It's a great bass but [u]not me[/u], hence the sale. The Q/C at Rickenbacker is sky high. They make less basses and keep the quality up that way. Where they fall down, and it's a mute point, is they don't wipe the necks down properly before varnishing so you get a slightly poor looking finish on the neck. It's purely asthetic and my friend who makes guitars pointed this out to me on mine. Big relief, I'd wondered if the wood was splitting!

The neck is a fairly chunky one, lots of tone and surprisingly light. The 33 1/2" scale doesn't feel different to a standard 34" and there is a lot of tone. It's a great bass and I must admit buying it I did feel like I'd entered the world of some exclusive club. If I wasn't so set in my Fender like ways I could see me being a Ricky player but I'm too long in the tooth to change now.

Having owned a 4001 back in the 70's I 'got used to it' early in life. I've owned a few 4003's more recently (pick of the bunch was actualy a Macca 4001 'sanded' re-issue) and it is still very much an odd-ball bass (IMHO) compared to more traditional designs.

The Good? Mega sustain - needs to be tamed a lot of the time. Vast range of noises from gut-rumbling bottom to buzz-saw teeth-clenching top-end grind. Shorter scale is comfy, 'parallel' neck less so. Hangs nicely on a strap. Adjustable damper mechanism great for simulating an upright. Hold their value quite well.

The Bad? (Here goes) The metalwork is terrible. The tailpiece/bridge assembly is a joke. I don't think they could have come up with a more awkward, limiting, un-adjustable contraption if they'd tried. The tail will lift after a while and reduce the break angle over the saddles. Palm muting is a nightmare because of aforementioned damping mechanism housing. Intonation adjustment is a constant loop of check, loosen strings, take out bridge part, tweak screw, replace bridge part, tune up, check, loosen strings, take out bridge part..... String height adjustment is one side or the other (not individual strings). The bridge pickup is housed in a gaping hole in the body, cover the hole by leaving the (plastic) pickup cover on (serves no useful purpose) but this restricts where you can pick/finger. Remove the useless plastic cover to reveal the gaping hole and the chrome pickup surround which is cunningly designed wth sharp protruding points which catch your plucking fingers right on the meat. The pickup selector toggle switch (on all 4 Rics I have owned) is sprung on a hair-trigger so the slightest inadvertent touch on it in the 'up' position will ping it back to the middle position mid-song.

Solution? Replace stock tailpiece with a Hipshot drop-in Ric replacement. You lose the damping mechanism but gain total adjustability with no protruding edges and palm-muting now possible all the way back to the saddles (which adjust individually in every dimension - even side-to-side string spacing can be adjusted). Just don't mention the Hipshot on the RickResource forum - they will ban you (it happened to me). For the pickup surround, invest in a Pickguardian replacement pup surround (available in a variety of finishes) and avoid chopping your plucking fingers to bits.

The company itself has something like a 2 year backlog so they don't really need to bother their arses as the order books are full for the forseeable. This attitude manifests itself in their amazing habit of messing around with the neck profile (one of a Ric's major selling points - a super slim neck) and not telling anyone. If you tried a mate's Ric in December then bought one manufactured in January you would wonder why it felt nothing like your mate's. The necks range from slim to chunky to not-so-chunky and back to slim depending on the year and month of manufacture. If you order a new one now (and wait two years for it to turn up) you haven't a clue what you will be getting. If you buy one off of eBay - you haven't a clue what you will be getting. Unless you can find one locally, in the colour you want then try before you buy. A grand and upwards is lot of money to be taking a wild stab with - and that's what you'll be doing when you a buy a new-ish Ric as far as the neck is concerned.

In general, if I hadn't been introduced to Rics at an early age, I would not own one today. I discovered Fenders (and similar style basses) long after my Ric, and although it took me a while, I now 'get it' as far as Fenders are concerned. The Ric has tended to have a few 'celeb' owners (Squire, McCartney, Waters, Geddy Lee etc etc) but it always seems to be a temporary association as they all moved on to other things, and once the novelty of a Ric wears off, you are left wondering (at least I am) exactly why you paid an absolute fortune for such an oddball piece of kit. My latest Ric I got 2nd hand (very cheap) and I have been restoring it to more pristine condition. I would never buy a new one, that is just mental (IMO) (see neck profile changes above).

Had a Mapleglo 4003 (circa 2005 build) and I had no issues with build quality, neck and it sounded fab. The body shape looks great but because there is no contouring where your picking/plucking arm comes over the top of the bass, I found that it got a bit uncomfortable after a while. Now that could be my crap technique....but it stopped it becoming my go to bass when I had it. As the other posts have suggested go try one or two and perhaps look at second-hand instrument that's in good nick to avoid paying the new price. If it fits then you then I'm sure you'll be pleased with what it can do.

Here's a pick of me playing it back in 2006

[attachment=56960:b8d1_7.JPG]

You can see where my left arm comes over the top of the bass...that's the bit that was a bit uncomfortable for me...hope that makes sense... :)

[quote name='urban Bassman' post='928857' date='Aug 18 2010, 05:54 PM']Had a Mapleglo 4003 (circa 2005 build) and I had no issues with build quality, neck and it sounded fab. The body shape looks great but because there is no contouring where your picking/plucking arm comes over the top of the bass, I found that it got a bit uncomfortable after a while. Now that could be my crap technique....but it stopped it becoming my go to bass when I had it. As the other posts have suggested go try one or two and perhaps look at second-hand instrument that's in good nick to avoid paying the new price. If it fits then you then I'm sure you'll be pleased with what it can do.

Here's a pick of me playing it back in 2006

[attachment=56960:b8d1_7.JPG]

You can see where my left arm comes over the top of the bass...that's the bit that was a bit uncomfortable for me...hope that makes sense... :)[/quote]
I tried one for the first time abt a month ago and loved it. I play Precisions, with a pick, and for me, the Rick was just as comfortable to play.

[quote name='Starless' post='928852' date='Aug 18 2010, 05:51 PM']Having owned a 4001 back in the 70's I 'got used to it' early in life. I've owned a few 4003's more recently (pick of the bunch was actualy a Macca 4001 'sanded' re-issue) and it is still very much an odd-ball bass (IMHO) compared to more traditional designs.

The Good? Mega sustain - needs to be tamed a lot of the time. Vast range of noises from gut-rumbling bottom to buzz-saw teeth-clenching top-end grind. Shorter scale is comfy, 'parallel' neck less so. Hangs nicely on a strap. Adjustable damper mechanism great for simulating an upright. Hold their value quite well.

The Bad? (Here goes) The metalwork is terrible. The tailpiece/bridge assembly is a joke. I don't think they could have come up with a more awkward, limiting, un-adjustable contraption if they'd tried. The tail will lift after a while and reduce the break angle over the saddles. Palm muting is a nightmare because of aforementioned damping mechanism housing. Intonation adjustment is a constant loop of check, loosen strings, take out bridge part, tweak screw, replace bridge part, tune up, check, loosen strings, take out bridge part..... String height adjustment is one side or the other (not individual strings). The bridge pickup is housed in a gaping hole in the body, cover the hole by leaving the (plastic) pickup cover on (serves no useful purpose) but this restricts where you can pick/finger. Remove the useless plastic cover to reveal the gaping hole and the chrome pickup surround which is cunningly designed wth sharp protruding points which catch your plucking fingers right on the meat. The pickup selector toggle switch (on all 4 Rics I have owned) is sprung on a hair-trigger so the slightest inadvertent touch on it in the 'up' position will ping it back to the middle position mid-song.

Solution? Replace stock tailpiece with a Hipshot drop-in Ric replacement. You lose the damping mechanism but gain total adjustability with no protruding edges and palm-muting now possible all the way back to the saddles (which adjust individually in every dimension - even side-to-side string spacing can be adjusted). Just don't mention the Hipshot on the RickResource forum - they will ban you (it happened to me). For the pickup surround, invest in a Pickguardian replacement pup surround (available in a variety of finishes) and avoid chopping your plucking fingers to bits.

The company itself has something like a 2 year backlog so they don't really need to bother their arses as the order books are full for the forseeable. This attitude manifests itself in their amazing habit of messing around with the neck profile (one of a Ric's major selling points - a super slim neck) and not telling anyone. If you tried a mate's Ric in December then bought one manufactured in January you would wonder why it felt nothing like your mate's. The necks range from slim to chunky to not-so-chunky and back to slim depending on the year and month of manufacture. If you order a new one now (and wait two years for it to turn up) you haven't a clue what you will be getting. If you buy one off of eBay - you haven't a clue what you will be getting. Unless you can find one locally, in the colour you want then try before you buy. A grand and upwards is lot of money to be taking a wild stab with - and that's what you'll be doing when you a buy a new-ish Ric as far as the neck is concerned.

In general, if I hadn't been introduced to Rics at an early age, I would not own one today. I discovered Fenders (and similar style basses) long after my Ric, and although it took me a while, I now 'get it' as far as Fenders are concerned. The Ric has tended to have a few 'celeb' owners (Squire, McCartney, Waters, Geddy Lee etc etc) but it always seems to be a temporary association as they all moved on to other things, and once the novelty of a Ric wears off, you are left wondering (at least I am) exactly why you paid an absolute fortune for such an oddball piece of kit. My latest Ric I got 2nd hand (very cheap) and I have been restoring it to more pristine condition. I would never buy a new one, that is just mental (IMO) (see neck profile changes above).[/quote]
I agree....
Just sold my 2007 though it sat here for yonks...dealer finally took it off my hands.THANK GOD..
Buy a decent copy and save a fortune if it the shape you admire

[quote name='Starless' post='928852' date='Aug 18 2010, 05:51 PM']The Bad? (Here goes) The metalwork is terrible. The tailpiece/bridge assembly is a joke. I don't think they could have come up with a more awkward, limiting, un-adjustable contraption if they'd tried. The tail will lift after a while and reduce the break angle over the saddles. Palm muting is a nightmare because of aforementioned damping mechanism housing. Intonation adjustment is a constant loop of check, loosen strings, take out bridge part, tweak screw, replace bridge part, tune up, check, loosen strings, take out bridge part..... String height adjustment is one side or the other (not individual strings). The bridge pickup is housed in a gaping hole in the body, cover the hole by leaving the (plastic) pickup cover on (serves no useful purpose) but this restricts where you can pick/finger. Remove the useless plastic cover to reveal the gaping hole and the chrome pickup surround which is cunningly designed wth sharp protruding points which catch your plucking fingers right on the meat. The pickup selector toggle switch (on all 4 Rics I have owned) is sprung on a hair-trigger so the slightest inadvertent touch on it in the 'up' position will ping it back to the middle position mid-song.

In general, if I hadn't been introduced to Rics at an early age, I would not own one today. I discovered Fenders (and similar style basses) long after my Ric, and although it took me a while, I now 'get it' as far as Fenders are concerned. The Ric has tended to have a few 'celeb' owners (Squire, McCartney, Waters, Geddy Lee etc etc) but it always seems to be a temporary association as they all moved on to other things, and once the novelty of a Ric wears off, you are left wondering (at least I am) exactly why you paid an absolute fortune for such an oddball piece of kit. My latest Ric I got 2nd hand (very cheap) and I have been restoring it to more pristine condition. I would never buy a new one, that is just mental (IMO) (see neck profile changes above).[/quote]

Well said on the neg points, esp the tailpiece. I can't, for the life of me, figure out why RIC went to the 7-screw tailpiece (which cured tail-lift) but reverted back to the 5. Beyond me, that.

I've lit many a flame on RR but haven't been on there for ages. Maybe time to go back and mention Hipshot! :)

BTW, has anyone seen the 4003 CS Special that's up on Ebay?

Edited by Stacker

I love my Ric dearly, and im looking at getting another one (yes... i know.... GAS... lol) but certainly agree with the sentiment that if you START playing on one you kinda stay with it. My first true top end bass was my 4001 which I got nearly 10 years ago. Its my go-to bass without a shadow of a doubt. They are incredibly awesome if played with a pick but equally awesome if played with fingers. You can geta surprising amount of bottom end out of that neck pickup... well I certainly can with an SVT610 to back it up, anyway ... lol. I also agree with Starless's point about famous players... Squire, Lee and Burton... they certainly knew how to use them! Does also make the average joe like me want to own such lovely things.

Try before you buy, certainly. The old 4001's had that odd "fat bit of neck at the 1st fret" thing going on as well, some people who have tried mine dont like that either... dunno if the 4003's have it tho.

[i]
edit. just realised I spent ages talking about the 4001 when you want to know about the 4003. sorry. lol[/i]

Edited by Stag

2007 Blue Burst 4003.

I predominantly use Fender Precisions, and I have a couple of Jazzes for the band, and for any Jams/Sessions.

The Rickenbacker is my 'treat' bass, it really is my boyhood fantasy bass.

It's a very different playing sensation, I personally leave the cover over the bridge pickup, and sound wise it's pretty unique.

They have a slightly rubbery, maybe slightly hollow sound to them, and it doesn't always work in a 7 piece band, whereas a more 'guitary' player in a 3-piece would really get the most out of it (Bruce Foxton..?)

The neck on mine is thinner than my '62 P-Bass, but deeper back to front, my mate Jimmy has a late 90's FireGlo with a chunkier neck...The Shorter scale is a minor factor, as it's under an inch difference, so to me doesn't feel much different. The 'Parallel' strings is fine, and something you should be able to slip in and out of pretty easily.

The Push/pull pot is pretty cool; I thought it was useless at first, as it sounds so much fuller when left down, but for a retro sounding Ric the 'up' position works a treat.

As for Quality Control mine is perfect; it really depends what you expect - I've played a lot of expensive basses i've been shocked at.

The downsides are;
The volume varies [i]a bit[/i] from string to string. I got over it, and just play the thing; it's part of it's tonal characteristic.
My bridge has lifted a tiny bit in 3 years, half a MM at the very most.
People try and nick them.
If you buy it from new, the smell of the case and finish will stink your gaff out - Like a sweet Banana smell.

But seriously, try a new one, the Older ones don't seem to be much dearer at the moment, so worth a try. But if you get on with one, just buy it, you won'regret it. The New ones have reverted back to the bigger fingerboard inlays which look cooler too.

I'll get a Mapleglo eventually; may stick an order in now to see it sometime in 2014?

If you don't get on with them, then fair enough, but there aren't many basses like a Ric.

Trav

Edited by AndyTravis

A bonus with the new ones are adjustable pole pieces so that you can get your string volume balance perfect. A crap thing is the bridge as you cannot adjust the height of each string individually without filing the saddles! I find the necks a treat to play. Sound-wise, it's marmite. Sometimes it's the ticket, sometimes not.

Thanks for all the excellent input!

I probably need to play one for more than half an hour to get to see if they really are me.

I think its a cosmetic thing for me. They looks stunning.

My favourite colour is the sonic blue they do a limited run of. Sadly they are no longer making those.

If I had to choose a colour now it would be black I think.

Best get testing really.

I personally am a fan. In a time just after dinosaurs walked the earth and I saw Led Zeppelin play live a few times I decided I wanted to be a bass player. Not too long after that I decided I'd really like a Rickenbacker bass.

Skip forward a few decades when I had some disposable to do something about it I then started playing. I finally achieved Nirvana this year and bought a Jetglow 4003 (and gigged it). I think they are fantastic basses with some remarkable quirks (e.g. the bridge). All in all I am completely pro Rics and although some compromise is necessary the look of the thing is amazing - a real design classic.

I can't yet bring myself to remove the pick up cover and as a mostly finger style player this is an issue :)

Try one today

[quote name='ead' post='929711' date='Aug 19 2010, 01:00 PM']...they are fantastic basses with some [b]remarkable quirks [/b](e.g. the bridge).[/quote]

That has got be the most euphemistic decription of that tangled heap of junk I have ever heard.

Seriously, when budgeting for a Ric, add another £100 on top for a Hipshot replacement (cost from US plus shipping/VAT) and then another £20 or so for the Pickguardian PU surround (again from the US).

I do like Rics, but their insistence on continuing to incorporate these 'remarkable quirks' on a £1500+ bass is beyond a joke now. But like I said, their order books are full so why change anything? They have made noises for years now about changing the tail-piece design, but Hipshot beat them to it and anything Ric come up with would have to be almost identical to the Hipshot design - which would be ironic as Hipshot would probably have a good case for hauling them through the courts (which is something Rickenbacker love to do to anyone who produces anything vaguely Rickenbackerish).

20 mins in a shop with a 4003 is not enough if you are not familiar with them. The entire 20 mins would be taken up with the 'wow' of holding it and marvelling at the body shape etc. When that novelty wears off, the annoying stuff starts to eat away at you...

Find someone local and try/buy used. Guaranteed you will get the same price for it if you sell 6 months down the line. Buying new will inevitably mean you lose some dosh.

Bought a jetglo 4003 in 2002 which was barely used (serial number is from 2000, home recording use only according to seller) without trying it first and fortunately it turned out very playable with a decent set up. First thing I did was remove the pick up cover and last year I had a push-pull retro pot fitted so it's the same as a current model. It's had reasonable use since but in the last 5 yrs or so the sound hasn't suited the bands I've been in so it's not my main gigging bass. One noticable thing is if I take it to an open jam session *everyone* wants to play it, they still have that allure. One guy I loaned it to for a set was practically in tears, he'd always, always wanted to play one and had never had the opportunity and I'd just made his dream come true. There's no way on earth I'd pay what they are going for at the moment though.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='929821' date='Aug 19 2010, 02:05 PM']Cheers chaps.

I do think used is the way to go.[/quote]

There's 2 of them in my local shop... (either used or new old stock ex demo or something, both of them are mint) pm me for details if you want me to link you up to them.