Why become a member? ×

1964 Fender Precision LPB

Beedster

My musical direction has changed hugely in the year or so since I bought this. I rarely pick up a bass as I'm playing mostly DB, and am now also committed to building a studio. I have to be realistic about several aspect of my current situation, so this is being [u]tentatively[/u] offered as a PX for a vintage Fender Precision of lower value with cash my way (at a level depending on the bass in question).

I have all documentation/valuation from V&R. This is a [u]serious[/u] investment level, custom colour pre-CBS (L-series, June 1964) instrument. Several guys on here have played it and will speak for its quality as both instrument and investment. I hope I'm not breaking forum rules by not listing a sale price as I'm offering it for PX only at present, if I am I'll revise accordingly.

Pics are still on V&R's website : [url="http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/our-catalogue/Fender/Electric-Basses/item/6455"]http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/o...asses/item/6455[/url]

Please no comments re 'told you so', I have beaten myself up enough over this to not need a further bashing. I'm now off to the pub to cry a while :)

Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='923758' date='Aug 13 2010, 11:52 AM']Please no comments re 'told you so'[/quote]
As long as you promise the same to me!

But seriously, I know you searched for your month-of-birth Precision for years so this must be a real wrench. Have a bump from me, mate and hope this works out.

The ability to change direction is a gift and not a weakness!

I've played this bass whilst being plied with tea (which I promise I never spilled on the bass) and its a real beauty, a lovely warm mellow tone and all the genuine kudos of a bass thats older than I am.

Best of luck with the sale Chris

[quote name='Clarky' post='923801' date='Aug 13 2010, 01:13 PM']As long as you promise the same to me![/quote]

Fair enough mate!

[quote name='Legion' post='923837' date='Aug 13 2010, 01:28 PM']The ability to change direction is a gift and not a weakness![/quote]

Nicely put Jason, thanks. I'm in a very different place to that I was in when I bought it (and arguably a much better one). It's a shame to consider letting it go, but the search was a wonderful experience, and as is so often the case, it's the journey not the destination! At this stage, I think it's wiser to invest in something that will get more use and be more productive.

C

[quote name='SpinalTap' post='925376' date='Aug 15 2010, 10:07 AM']Hi Beedster,

Very nice looking bass.
It has a standard C shaped/sized neck I presume?

Good luck with the sale.[/quote]

Does this answer your question :)

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='parker_muse' post='924016' date='Aug 13 2010, 03:21 PM']Shame to see you sell this beedster, but someone is going to get an incredible bass out of this. Best of luck![/quote]

Thanks PM

We'll see. I think the likelihood is that I'll keep it. I listed it as a PX because of I sold it I'm sure the money would quickly get used on studio gear and I'd probably blow my chances of ever again owning a good 60's Fender. I've had some offers of 70's basses, but I'd really only consider letting this go in part exchange for a 60's Precision, preferably NOT a custom colour and preferably NOT in mint condition! That is, I want a 60's bass that I can play anywhere, that I can leave at the studio, that I can let other guys play etc without getting too anxious. I've gigged this bass several times and have to say I don't feel comfortable leaving it on stage whilst I go for a slash or a beer, and I think it's only going to take a near miss for me to lock it in a cupboard until I decide to realise my investment in 30 odd years. That's not what I wanted really when I bought this! I would sell if I could find the replacement bass in question immediately, but there's not a whole lot out there at present, hence my PX idea - I've listed here in the hope that a member with a decent 60's bass worth perhaps half the value of this would be interested in upgrading their investment at the same time as I'd like to downgrade mine.

I spoke to Rob (Shockwave) re his post above and he agreed that I don't need to list a sale price here as I'm not looking to sell at this stage. If I do find a suitable replacement and decide to sell, I will of course name a price!

Cheers

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I have the possibility of a less than pristine '64 Precision coming in from the states that would suit my needs perfectly. Whilst I'm really hoping that it works out, on the off-chance that it doesn't, I'd be interested in hearing whether there's any other potential deals out there?

C

[quote name='Clarky' post='940510' date='Aug 30 2010, 11:09 PM']Swap for my Alleva- Coppolo :)

Continuing my quest to drive the trained psychologist mad!

Seriously, though, good luck with new 64P, Chris. Hope it fits the bill[/quote]

LOL, fair enough!

I must admit that this situation is causing me some problems. I bought the bass in question after a 5-year search for a June '64 Precision, and at a time when I not only had the required cash (an unusual state of affairs for me), but when the idea that I would ever play anything other than electric bass seemed unthinkable. At that time, a June '64 Precision was a dream to me, although having said that, I still had to really stretch myself to buy what is a pristine custom colour instrument (I would have killed for a beaten up 3tsb).

Anyway, a serious change of both musical direction and instrument of choice has left me a little high and dry here. This situation is made a whole lot worse by the outcome of a recent recording session which has left me, and my band, 100% committed to double bass. Given the guys in the band are not only the best musicians I've ever played with, but some of my closest friends, I want to commit wholeheartedly to what we're doing, as I believe it's not only the best route I've had for serious musical success and satisfaction, but, barring unforeseen events, it's also likely to be for the long term (I've been playing in bands long enough to know the deal). Increasingly my gut instinct is to sell the '64 and put the money into my studio build, or even PX for a second double bass. But I can't get away from my emotional - although no doubt slightly pathological - attachment to a '64 Precision.

So, this is where I'm at. When I bought this bass I did so with every intention of playing it regularly, but for reasons related to both the band's sound and my own anxieties regarding its value, that simply hasn't happened, so this bass is basically money in the bank that I would rather use to enhance our current sound than cash-in in 50 years. If the PX with the '64 doesn't happen, I'll likely sell the bass, unless that is there are any other pre-CBS Precisions out there for a potential PX? I might also consider PX deals for a DB or for studio gear, especially top end mics & monitors

Cheers

C

This is my absolute dream bass! Since I first started playing it's been all about a 60's P bass in Lake Placid Blue.....

Unfortunately I have nothing to offer PX....If you ever end up selling let me know....

Good luck with it, it's nice reading about a bass that has such personal significance to you

Dave

[quote name='davebass66' post='944433' date='Sep 3 2010, 12:22 PM']This is my absolute dream bass! Since I first started playing it's been all about a 60's P bass in Lake Placid Blue.....

Unfortunately I have nothing to offer PX....If you ever end up selling let me know....

Good luck with it, it's nice reading about a bass that has such personal significance to you

Dave[/quote]

Big +1, I think you will mis it Chris, but DB is calling!

If you ever decide to sell on, even though im not that well off, id raid all savings for this beauty.

Edited by Musicman20

Have a bump on me, just because we share great taste and I feel for you with not being able to play your P enough.

I have a 63 Lake Placid Blue P, which looks exactly the same as yours of course and does have a lovely warm mellow tone too; but I daren't play it out, so it lives in its case too much too.

[quote name='davebass66' post='944433' date='Sep 3 2010, 12:22 PM']This is my absolute dream bass! Since I first started playing it's been all about a 60's P bass in Lake Placid Blue.....

Dave[/quote]

[quote name='Musicman20' post='944436' date='Sep 3 2010, 12:24 PM']Big +1, I think you will mis it Chris, but DB is calling!

If you ever decide to sell on, even though im not that well off, id raid all savings for this beauty.[/quote]

[quote name='bassfan' post='944445' date='Sep 3 2010, 12:35 PM']Having read this thread and seeing what a stunner she is, in my humble opinion I think you should keep her!

Just my opinion chris, but I think you'll regret letting her go. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Thanks guys

It's been a funny journey with this bass for sure. I'm doing a few things at the same time at present; getting to grips with (and falling in love with) double bass, setting up a studio with, and partly for, two of my closest friends, and, although it probably seems a little minor in comparison, reading the Neil Young biog 'Shakey'. Anyway, a lot of things coalesced a few weeks back in one sentence by Young in response to Jimmy McDonough's question "Do you have a philosophy about money?", to which Young replied:

"Keep it moving, don't hoard. Money's no good, get rid of it. Turn it into people doing things, turn it into jobs, turn it into happiness"

OK, this was far from the catalyst for my line of thinking, but it was the lightbulb moment at which I admitted to myself that a bass that I play once a week at home is never going to be as much use to me and other people, or make me or them as happy, as some other things I could do with the same investment, namely the studio and the DB. I love the '64 to death, when I open the case and get that distinctive vintage guitar smell (a diluted perfume of slowly ageing lacquer, that original new case smell that always seems to linger, and decades-old fags, sweat & alcohol), my heart does skip a beat. When I think of all the guys who've played this baby, it makes me feel quite humble to own it. But, and it's a big but, as is suggested above, there was a sense of journey as much as one of destination in the whole process with this bass (you try finding a June '64 Precision), and in many respects, I think I need to move on to another journey. If I sell it, I'm pretty sure I'll lose money, but I think to keep it I'd probably lose as much, albeit in a different way.

Will I regret it? Of course, because there's no control group for this particular experiment. No doubt in 10 years time I'll think "Damn, wish I'd kept that '64". But, if I keep it I might equally be thinking "Damn, I wish I'd really pushed the studio ahead when I had the chance". Regret the things you do, not the things you don't do eh :)

Anyway, I'm currently talking about a deal on this which may or may not happen, and if it doesn't, having exhausted many potential trade/PX options, it will be for sale.

Thanks guys, and apologies for the length of the above!

C

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Bassnut62' post='944472' date='Sep 3 2010, 12:55 PM']Have a bump on me, just because we share great taste and I feel for you with not being able to play your P enough.

I have a 63 Lake Placid Blue P, which looks exactly the same as yours of course and does have a lovely warm mellow tone too; but I daren't play it out, so it lives in its case too much too.[/quote]

Cheers mate, good taste indeed, you should buy mine and defret it, what a pair that would be :)

C

[quote name='Clarky' post='944582' date='Sep 3 2010, 02:32 PM']"a diluted perfume of slowing ageing lacquer, the original case smell that always seems to linger, and decades-old fags, sweat & alcohol"

Calvin Klein should make this and sell it bottles. There'd be plenty of bassists buying it :)[/quote]

'Escape from Obsession for Men'?