Why become a member? ×

Guy Pratt and his stack-knob Jazz

99ster

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='917175' date='Aug 6 2010, 04:20 PM']I've got a question.

Which Wall gig is Mr. Gilmour doing? ;-)

Oh.. And another one. Whatever happened to Ms. Fury? She just... vanished.

My friends and I were biiig fans...![/quote]

Oh. you know Guy won´t answer question #1.

About Rachel Fury... She´s retired from singing and she´s not involved in music no more. She lives in London with her partner and is very involved in animal rights.

well. a tech question maybe ?
i always wondered what effects you used during the middle section of one of these days (Division Bell tour) i know there´s tremolo and I can notice a Phaser at the end of the chain, but is there anything else ? or you were just playing harmonics with the effects i said before ?

i´m talking about what occurs at the 3:08 mark

best

Edited by AlX

[quote name='AlX' post='919222' date='Aug 9 2010, 03:03 AM']Oh. you know Guy won´t answer question #1.[/quote]
EYE NO DAT. Heck, he might not even know. Hence the winky. :-)

Truth is, it's all I could think of, 'cos I have no technical questions.

I have an observation, though... Steve DiStanislao must be a pleasure to play with, eh? I've been a fan since I heard him play with CPR, and the two of you sound so 'on it' on Gdansk...

[quote name='Craigmartini' post='919022' date='Aug 8 2010, 08:28 PM']Hey Paul!
Yeah, I'm still here. :)

Yes, Marvin is indeed my bass brother. We never did start that 31 club did we?

Ok, I'm not tryin' to hijack the thread. Just sayin' hello!

Craig[/quote]
:lol: :rolleyes: It's definitely something we should get on to and organise. :lol: :lol:
All the best.

[quote name='douggie' post='917166' date='Aug 6 2010, 05:14 PM']Alright, any questions then? I'm going to New Zealand tomorrow so might be a few days before I'm back on.[/quote]
Oh really? What's your connection with NZ?

Here's a question for you Guy!

What bass(es) did you play on the 'Toy Matinee' album and what exact effect pedal did you use on tracks like 'Queen Of Misery'?

Thanks! I LOVE that album...and your playing on it! :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='919376' date='Aug 9 2010, 10:48 AM']Oh really? What's your connection with NZ?[/quote]

He´s doing one of his "Wake up call!" shows at the GTaranaki Festival ----> [url="http://www.gtaranaki.co.nz/"]http://www.gtaranaki.co.nz/[/url]

:)

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='914158' date='Aug 3 2010, 06:02 PM']E Sharp. Have you had an eye test recently? :) :rolleyes: That aint Mr Pratt, that`s the guy who plays bass with Robbie Williams. I would reconise that black P bass anywhere. If it`s Guy, he wearing a fat suit!!

I got his name, it`s Jerry Meehan.

Jez Cleuso[/quote]

Saw Roxy Music live yesterday over here in Belgium on a big festival around midnight... not with Guy Pratt but with Jerry Meehan.
Good bass-playing but I would have preferred to hear a Jazz bass instead of a Precision to play the Roxy Music repertoire.

[quote name='wombatboter' post='919834' date='Aug 9 2010, 05:19 PM']Saw Roxy Music live yesterday over here in Belgium on a big festival around midnight... not with Guy Pratt but with Jerry Meehan.
Good bass-playing but I would have preferred to hear a Jazz bass instead of a Precision to play the Roxy Music repertoire.[/quote]

A Wal would have been even better :)

[quote name='douggie' post='917168' date='Aug 6 2010, 04:16 PM']Oooh, aren't we the cynic...[/quote]

I wish I was wrong! :)

anyway - my sincere compliments for your work, Guy. Pink Floyd is my all time favourite band so my hats down for the privilege you had and the great job you did! and with Gilmour too. I still enjoy watching On the Island live in Gdansk. great tone from you there!

my Q would be: what songs did you play on Bete Noire ??? as you may know,on the layout there's only a list of people not a detailed credits.

thanks and cheers!!!

Firstly, I'm not saying much because I've heard next year's tour is called,

LOST IN WEBBASS!
Guy gets hot and bothered on the internet with weird posters on BassChat!

It is all about the weird sycophancy and requests of posters on BassChat. How they ask him technical questions like,
'Yeah Guy! But when you say the flanger was set between 3 and 4, was it nearer 3 or 4, like 3.25 or 4.75?'

Secondly, I once pretended to be the ghost of Elvis Presley for 9 months on a 'King' forum and it only taught me how gullible people on t'interweb are, so until I feel Guy's right and left index fingers in my ears I refuse to believe!......... :) :brow:

well to be honest guy i had only heard of you from the sophie ellis bexter song murder on the dance floor, but two standard questions for you :)

1) what has been your favourite moment in your career, can be bass related or not

2) Would you like to buy my ashdown combo?

Pm me if you do :rolleyes:

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='920844' date='Aug 10 2010, 05:58 PM']Well Merello, there`s one way to find oot. Go and see him at the Fringe and ask him. I was a bit doubtful myself at first but what the heck, I am now a believer!!

Jez[/quote]
Let's get a bus going and see if he's wearing a BassChat t-shirt! :)

[quote name='AlX' post='919626' date='Aug 9 2010, 01:58 PM']He´s doing one of his "Wake up call!" shows at the GTaranaki Festival ----> [url="http://www.gtaranaki.co.nz/"]http://www.gtaranaki.co.nz/[/url][/quote]
Aaaah ok. I knew that was happening, couldn't work out why it was being held in Taranaki though.

Hi Guy - you pop up in some strange places not least with Chris & JC at the 100 Club! Anyway my question is... I didn't think you were a gear smasher... what caused you to destroy the aforementioned bass on the last night of the Roxy tour?

Oh and I did love the youtube clips of your disco basslines spoof even though I quite like Maurice Gibb's work!

[quote name='markorbit' post='923617' date='Aug 13 2010, 10:04 AM']Hi Guy - you pop up in some strange places not least with Chris & JC at the 100 Club! Anyway my question is... I didn't think you were a gear smasher... what caused you to destroy the aforementioned bass on the last night of the Roxy tour?

Oh and I did love the youtube clips of your disco basslines spoof even though I quite like Maurice Gibb's work![/quote]

In his book guy tells a story about breaking a bass the last show of Division Bell´s tour- Great story.. cos it was a neckthrough bass. Get the book.. lot´s of good stories.
He also broke a bass (or a guitar, i can´t recall) in one of his Stand Up shows in Australia. He injured his hand doing that.

:)

I just found an interview with Guy, and I quote "Pino Palladino told me that as you get older your tone knob creeps down and your right hand goes further up the neck!". LOL. I was wryly beginning to realise that myself recently much to my amusement so that comment really hit home.

Guy, did you use Flatwounds with the Floyd?

[quote name='markorbit' post='931521' date='Aug 20 2010, 11:57 PM']Guy, did you use Flatwounds with the Floyd?[/quote]

he used flats on a P bass for some tunes. if you check P.U.L.S.E. dvd, when Guy plays that P bass with a pick (Waters style) I'd swear I hear flatwounds.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_ofFa50LzY&feature=watch_response"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_ofFa50LzY...=watch_response[/url]

or here at the start:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBVvv1uXul8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBVvv1uXul8[/url]

Edited by dr1