Why become a member? ×

Guy Pratt and his stack-knob Jazz

99ster

[quote name='99ster' post='911310' date='Jul 31 2010, 03:40 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_3Jc54k1Es&"]Guy Pratt and his stack-knob Jazz[/url]
Now that's what I call a wedding present!
:)[/quote]
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm tis a lush bit of wood!!

Mate & I saw Guy at the Edinburgh Festival a few years back, promoting his book. His 'act' was mainly lifted from the book and he played a few bass lines which was really cool. He didn't have that stacker but his old blue Jazz.

And as to acquiring original stack pot Jazzes, a fella from Edinburgh, back in the '80s or so, picked up a girl in a bar one and they went back to hers. Fast forward from the usual and he tells her he's a bass player. "Oh, my uncle used to be one, too! In fact, his guitar is under this bed!" she says and pulls out from under the bed a dusty Fender caes in which lies a 1960 stacker Jazz. The uncle wanted £50 for it, or somesuch.

Love hearing of stuff like this.

He'll be cross about the bookshare thread then,

If you do see this....
sorry, Guy,

you're one of my Bass Playing heroes!!

I owe you £20 if a "lent" copy of your book turns up at "chez Witterth!!"
and, I'll send it to you, promise.
then again, bugger it....
I'll just buy a copy eh?

honestly though.. what a player!!

effin great,is Guy

"The Delicate Sound of Thunder" (live one, If Im right)
is the 'floyds best album..
'cos of Guy...
IMO
W

[quote name='cocco' post='911889' date='Aug 1 2010, 01:59 PM']It has to be said. I effing love Guy Pratt. He's the player Floyd always deserved and the only author who has ever kept my attention all the way through a book.[/quote]
F@@kin' A wid that!!

so much better than Waters isn't He? eh?

(sorry for swear word, Mods! please forgive me!)

If he`s reading this thread, can you tell me why you weren`t playing with Roxy Music on Johnathan Ross`s last show? It was the guy who plays with Robbie Williams (cue someone who knows his name) who is a great player but the only reason I watched the bloomin show was to watch Guy on bass!

Is he playing with Roxy in January when they are on tour? :)

Jez

[quote name='cocco' post='911889' date='Aug 1 2010, 01:59 PM']It has to be said. I effing love Guy Pratt. He's the player Floyd always deserved and the only author who has ever kept my attention all the way through a book.[/quote]

Try 'White Line Fever' by Lemmy; you'll be amazed. I know I was. A real fun, interesting read.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='911940' date='Aug 1 2010, 03:03 PM']If he`s reading this thread, can you tell me why you weren`t playing with Roxy Music on Johnathan Ross`s last show? It was the guy who plays with Robbie Williams (cue someone who knows his name) who is a great player but the only reason I watched the bloomin show was to watch Guy on bass!

Is he playing with Roxy in January when they are on tour? :)

Jez[/quote]

He probably knows what a c*** B. Ferry is and doesn't need the grief.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='912013' date='Aug 1 2010, 04:48 PM']Didn't Guy used to play Status basses? I'll be honest, I hope it was the room sounding dire in the video, because the video itself does the bass no favours at all![/quote]

I'd say it's the combination of the room and the camera mic. If there was a sound guy there he would have had a decent AKG shotgun that, I think, would have picked up more definition than what is heard.

BTW, none of my stackers sound like that, so please do pardon the bass! :)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='912013' date='Aug 1 2010, 04:48 PM']Didn't Guy used to play Status basses? I'll be honest, I hope it was the room sounding dire in the video, because the video itself does the bass no favours at all![/quote]

Yup, he has his own model, the Vintage GP bass. He's also on the front page of the Status web page at the moment because of his Edinburgh gig.

[quote name='cocco' post='912591' date='Aug 2 2010, 10:46 AM']I may check that lemmy book out. Is it along the same lines as guys book?[/quote]
Pretty Much. Factual and plenty of humour. The episode where Brian Robertson starts to lose it is both funny and sad.
Lemmy spins a good yarn.

i´m in touch with guy. .i´m not sure whether he is a member of this forum or not... but i can ask him..
he´s a real character.. it´s absolutely great to chat with him.
I highly recommend his book. Just get it if you can. You won´t regret.

He´s making his return to the stage for a run at the Edinburgh Festival.

The show is being held at Fringe@Le Monde between August 22nd - 30th. Tickets are just £5

Pink Floyd’s bassist returns for the first time since his 2007 Edinburgh sell-out run to regale us with more hilarious tales from the mini bar and the absurdities of life on the road for the touring musician.
Having wowed crowds the world over with ‘My Bass and other Animals’ and ‘Breakfast of Idiots’, Guy updates us on the goings on at the pointy end of the music business, and the madness that comes with breathing the rarefied air of the Superstar, including one very bizarre Argentinean trip….

'Wonderfully indiscreet, Pratt's self-deprecating wit is irresistible' (Mojo).

[b]It’s 4am. The alarm is set for 5. You’re in Belgrade.. or possibly Buenos Aires. All these Hotel rooms look the same.. There’s a noise coming from the bathroom and only a miniature of Baileys left in the mini bar.. No worries you’ll sleep on the plane.. You hope to hell it’s a travel day and that pile of ashes in the corner isn’t your Passport.

Welcome to an average Wednesday in the life of a touring musician. ‘Guy Pratt’s Wake-up Call’ is the next instalment of the bizarre, poignant and often hilarious life of a professional bassist told by a natural raconteur. You’ll laugh. You’ll cry, you’ll probably sue[/b]

[quote name='AlX' post='912998' date='Aug 2 2010, 05:12 PM']i´m in touch with guy. .i´m not sure whether he is a member of this forum or not... but i can ask him..
he´s a real character.. it´s absolutely great to chat with him.
I highly recommend his book. Just get it if you can. You won´t regret.

He´s making his return to the stage for a run at the Edinburgh Festival.

The show is being held at Fringe@Le Monde between August 22nd - 30th. Tickets are just £5

Pink Floyd’s bassist returns for the first time since his 2007 Edinburgh sell-out run to regale us with more hilarious tales from the mini bar and the absurdities of life on the road for the touring musician.
Having wowed crowds the world over with ‘My Bass and other Animals’ and ‘Breakfast of Idiots’, Guy updates us on the goings on at the pointy end of the music business, and the madness that comes with breathing the rarefied air of the Superstar, including one very bizarre Argentinean trip….

'Wonderfully indiscreet, Pratt's self-deprecating wit is irresistible' (Mojo).

[b]It’s 4am. The alarm is set for 5. You’re in Belgrade.. or possibly Buenos Aires. All these Hotel rooms look the same.. There’s a noise coming from the bathroom and only a miniature of Baileys left in the mini bar.. No worries you’ll sleep on the plane.. You hope to hell it’s a travel day and that pile of ashes in the corner isn’t your Passport.

Welcome to an average Wednesday in the life of a touring musician. ‘Guy Pratt’s Wake-up Call’ is the next instalment of the bizarre, poignant and often hilarious life of a professional bassist told by a natural raconteur. You’ll laugh. You’ll cry, you’ll probably sue[/b]

[/quote]

You sure you're not Guy's agent , cos that's a shameless plug for the show! Might pop along again to see him.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='911940' date='Aug 1 2010, 03:03 PM']If he`s reading this thread, can you tell me why you weren`t playing with Roxy Music on Johnathan Ross`s last show? It was the guy who plays with Robbie Williams (cue someone who knows his name) who is a great player but the only reason I watched the bloomin show was to watch Guy on bass!

Is he playing with Roxy in January when they are on tour? :rolleyes:

Jez[/quote]
If you've still got it on tape/hard disc/digi box , or whatever , have a look again - it was him .

I didn't think so at first , but the few shots you got of him confirmed it - just a bit more weight than his previous photos show :)

I might be proved wrong , but I'm pretty sure .

[quote name='Stacker' post='913443' date='Aug 3 2010, 05:34 AM']You sure you're not Guy's agent , cos that's a shameless plug for the show! Might pop along again to see him.[/quote]

Oh.. no.. no. i´m not his agent.... that info is published on www.brain-damage.co.uk