Why become a member? ×

Jon Shuker 6 string headless sig bass.

Dood

[quote name='dood' post='320675' date='Nov 3 2008, 08:56 AM']I think Steve (crazykiwi) said that Jon is a perfectionist and wont rush a job just to get it finished, which is very true. I'd rather he was happy with his work, than just lobbing stuff out the door! - It's his reputation on the line after all and anyone who has seen his work, knows it is stunning. Stunning takes time![/quote]
I think its fair to say Jon's probably astute enough to know that his reputation isn't ultimately going to be based on how well he meets deadlines, its going to be based on his instruments. It will be 12 months next week since I placed my order on an original build time of 3-5 months.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='320685' date='Nov 3 2008, 09:12 AM']It will be 12 months next week since I placed my order on an original build time of 3-5 months.[/quote]
Oh Gawd! I've just paid my deposit on a custom Shuker. I think i'll go mad if I have to wait a whole year. I haven't been brave enough to ask for an estimate build time, I know what they are worth! :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='320685' date='Nov 3 2008, 09:12 AM']I think its fair to say Jon's probably astute enough to know that his reputation isn't ultimately going to be based on how well he meets deadlines, its going to be based on his instruments. It will be 12 months next week since I placed my order on an original build time of 3-5 months.[/quote]

That's scary dude.
I'm 34 weeks into a simple 10 week build now...
Jon has assured me I'll have the bass in the next 2 to 3 weeks though.
Just think he's taken too much on and hasn't been great about keeping folks posted.
Oh well, I'm sure everyone will be happy as Larry when they're basses finally arrive anyway.

[quote name='peted' post='320836' date='Nov 3 2008, 12:22 PM']Oh Gawd! I've just paid my deposit on a custom Shuker. I think i'll go mad if I have to wait a whole year. I haven't been brave enough to ask for an estimate build time, I know what they are worth! :huh:[/quote]

Come on, spill the beans dude, what have you ordered?!...... :)

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='320848' date='Nov 3 2008, 12:32 PM']Come on, spill the beans dude, what have you ordered?!...... :)

Eude[/quote]
Once the 't's are crossed and the 'i's dotted I'll post up the full spec. It's 99% there on paper, and the deposit is down. Plus it includes a feature which it seems that Jon has never done before :huh:

[quote name='peted' post='321023' date='Nov 3 2008, 03:54 PM']Once the 't's are crossed and the 'i's dotted I'll post up the full spec. It's 99% there on paper, and the deposit is down. Plus it includes a feature which it seems that Jon has never done before :)[/quote]

Very exciting :huh:
On the edge of my seat bud...

</thread hijack>
Sorry Dood

Eude

I've tried calling Jon quite a few times in the last 7 days and his phone isn't taking incoming calls and he's not answering his mobile. Rob's been off sick with a sprained ankle too so I'm wondering if Jon has battened down the hatches and is steaming through as much of the order back log as he can right now.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='321037' date='Nov 3 2008, 04:07 PM']I've tried calling Jon quite a few times in the last 7 days and his phone isn't taking incoming calls and he's not answering his mobile. Rob's been off sick with a sprained ankle too so I'm wondering if Jon has battened down the hatches and is steaming through as much of the order back log as he can right now.[/quote]

I got a response by email last week, apparently Rob has actually broken his ankle!
So Jon said he was going to be putting in long days locked away by himself to keep things running, so I think you're right dude.

Cheers,
Eude

Could be worse... I think some people gave up waiting for their new Wals after 3 years :) and what's the wait for a Fodera these days?
I do think Jon needs to start quoting more realistic build times though. Mine was 7 months against a 12-week quote.

I got an email reply last night which included the news of Rob's broken ankle while trying to lift an amp. Hope recovery is swift.

Regarding the waiting time: At least a long build means I can pay for it in a majority of instalments. This method actually makes it far easier to pay for a custom bass than the same priced retail bass :)

[quote name='peted' post='321872' date='Nov 4 2008, 03:34 PM']Regarding the waiting time: At least a long build means I can pay for it in a majority of instalments. This method actually makes it far easier to pay for a custom bass than the same priced retail bass :)[/quote]

A point very well made!! Pete, so tell me! What's the new feature? I'm very intrigued!

[quote name='dood' post='322593' date='Nov 5 2008, 12:32 PM']A point very well made!! Pete, so tell me! What's the new feature? I'm very intrigued![/quote]
.. all will be revealed in good time :huh: I'm just waiting for Jon to confirm that he's received my deposit, and that he has the green light from the U.S. patent holder for this 'feature'. You've all heard of it/seen it, just not on a Shuker :)

[quote name='peted' post='322600' date='Nov 5 2008, 12:44 PM'].. all will be revealed in good time :huh: I'm just waiting for Jon to confirm that he's received my deposit, and that he has the green light from the U.S. patent holder for this 'feature'. You've all heard of it/seen it, just not on a Shuker :)[/quote]

I believe it's something you have mentioned having an interest in, in the past isn't it? The patent side of things makes me think of one 'thing' in particular ;o)

[quote name='peted' post='322600' date='Nov 5 2008, 12:44 PM'].. all will be revealed in good time :huh: I'm just waiting for Jon to confirm that he's received my deposit, and that he has the green light from the U.S. patent holder for this 'feature'. You've all heard of it/seen it, just not on a Shuker :)[/quote]

Gibson Robot?

S.P.

[quote name='eude' post='322633' date='Nov 5 2008, 01:28 PM']I've got an idea now too.... :)

Eude[/quote]

In that case, i think we may be right ;o) - Although I think the 'Goblin Teasmaid' is a must have on a custom bass ;o)

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='322665' date='Nov 5 2008, 02:01 PM']Buzz Feiten or something?[/quote]
Oooh a GUESSING game. Goody goody goody, now let me see...

A Status bendwell?
A Kubicki drop D extension?
A kahler whammy?
An onboard valve preamp?
A fanned fret fingerboard?
An onboard directional air conditioning system for one-foot-on-the-monitor bass solos?
A Dalek voice impersonator?
A novelty, flavoured, crushed ice dispenser?
A 12v powered mini fridge?
A combination marital aid/grasping tool/sink plunger with advanced Quantum X (tm) technology for the closest shave ever?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='322703' date='Nov 5 2008, 03:01 PM']Oooh a GUESSING game. Goody goody goody, now let me see...

A Status bendwell?
A Kubicki drop D extension?
A kaher whammy?
An onboard valve preamp?
[b]A fanned fret fingerboard?[/b]
An onboard directional air conditioning system for one-foot-on-the-monitor bass solos?
A Dalek voice impersonator?
A novelty, flavoured, crushed ice dispenser?
A 12v powered mini fridge?
A combination marital aid/grasping tool/sink plunger with advanced Quantum X (tm) technology for the closest shave ever?[/quote]
We have our winner! Sorry, no prize :)

I think i'll add everything else you've put after to the spec as well. I wonder if I did that whether Jon will ever speak to me again?

[quote]Our licensing fee is $75.00, US for a single instrument paid in advance of construction. Production runs of 10 instruments or more are licensed at $55.00 per instrument. Instruments built outside of the U.S. do not require licensing unless they are sold in the U.S.[/quote]

[url="http://www.novaxguitars.com/licensing.html"]Enlightening reading[/url].

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='322764' date='Nov 5 2008, 04:22 PM'][url="http://www.novaxguitars.com/licensing.html"]Enlightening reading[/url].

S.P.[/quote]
I've sent the exact same quote and link to Jon, but he'd like to hear from Novax themselves just to make sure that he doesn't get sued :) Plus, I think we're paying the $75 license fee so that Jon can get support if he comes across any difficulties.