Why become a member? ×

Jon Shuker 6 string headless sig bass.

Dood

[quote name='eude' post='374253' date='Jan 8 2009, 05:25 PM']:)
Thought there was going to be a picture based update...

Eude[/quote]

Yeah come on dood! Where are these damn pictures!!!??? Heh heh....

I'm looking forward to them coming through!!!

• 1 month later...

I can't believe that this made it to the 2nd page of listings. That would never have happened with the original Doodle thread ;)

Any update from the man? I need you to put updates on here to stop me from pestering Jon about my own bass. I'm trying not to send him another email for a further month to let some progress be made. The wait is very difficult at the moment.

[quote name='peted' post='405292' date='Feb 10 2009, 12:57 PM']I can't believe that this made it to the 2nd page of listings. That would never have happened with the original Doodle thread ;)

Any update from the man? I need you to put updates on here to stop me from pestering Jon about my own bass. I'm trying not to send him another email for a further month to let some progress be made. The wait is very difficult at the moment.[/quote]

I know Pete! - Doodle was a mega thread - I was so excited to see so many hits on it! WOO! - Slightly depressing is the lack of stuff to show you guys! :P(

Jon emailed me before Christmas to say he was sending some pics over and then mid January to say the bass is 'coming along nicely'. I can only imagine how busy he must be as I have just one picture of baby doodle. (Page one I think). Ideally I would have loved to have seen more of the build, especially as I have had very little interaction with the process this time around. I know I can trust Jon, as he is basically building another 'Doodle' for me.. I was very specific about the ..err.. specifications! lol I haven't had a chance to check the body design or neck carve and don't really know in what state the bass is!!! GULP!

I don't mind the wait, thats absolutely fine, as Jon is an incredible Luthier.. I suppose it's the fact that I live miles away and rely on him having a spare moment to pander to my needs lol!!

I sent Jon another email yesterday.. hopefully he'll get back to me with some info!

I've racked up 18 emails to Jon since my initial contact on the 14th October. Calming down over the last couple of months as the last 3 were sent 13/11/08, 17/12/08, 05/01/09. Is that too much? I worry about my luthier filing a harrassment order against me ;)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Stag' post='409006' date='Feb 13 2009, 08:10 PM']after finally getting my hands on Doodle yesterday evening (WHAT a neck. WHAAAAT a fabulous neck. Ill say it again. WHAAAAAAAAAAAT a fabulous neck!!!!) im really looking forward to seeing this DJV![/quote]

Was good to hang out mate! Thanks for the tea! Thanks for the kind words! Doodle is a bit of a luverllee eh!

- yeah, I'll be very happy to see the bass too! I've no idea what it looks like!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!!!

Yes, sorry about the wait.. I meant to upload some pictures but had some other stuff to do first!

I have had a reply back from Jon. The pics below are 'how the bass was' a while back apparently, as the finish should have gone on last week according to the email. We should be looking at a completion date in the very near future!

I can't believe these are the first pics I have had in over a year! - ok.. withoot farthur a-doooo, Here's Baby Doodle lookin' a bit nekkid.

[attachment=21702:1.jpg]

[attachment=21703:2.jpg]

[attachment=21704:3.jpg]

[attachment=21705:4.jpg]

[attachment=21706:5.jpg]

[attachment=21707:6.jpg]

Note: These are just rough pics; the 'stuff' you can see on the wood is just products, not actually damage to the bass!

[quote name='dood' post='429083' date='Mar 9 2009, 09:33 AM']Hey everyone!!!

Yes, sorry about the wait.. I meant to upload some pictures but had some other stuff to do first!

I have had a reply back from Jon. The pics below are 'how the bass was' a while back apparently, as the finish should have gone on last week according to the email. We should be looking at a completion date in the very near future!

I can't believe these are the first pics I have had in over a year! - ok.. withoot farthur a-doooo, Here's Baby Doodle lookin' a bit nekkid.

Note: These are just rough pics; the 'stuff' you can see on the wood is just products, not actually damage to the bass![/quote]

Sally is taking shape... see that you've kept with your signature dot inlays!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='429139' date='Mar 9 2009, 10:47 AM']Sally is taking shape... see that you've kept with your signature dot inlays![/quote]

Ah yes! Well spotted, it's not totally clear in the pics, but as many of my 'signature' options/ specs as possible have been carried over to the new bass, Including the dot inlays! I think the basses will look great together, a 'matched pair' as it were.

[quote name='dood' post='429182' date='Mar 9 2009, 11:28 AM']Ah yes! Well spotted, it's not totally clear in the pics, but as many of my 'signature' options/ specs as possible have been carried over to the new bass, Including the dot inlays! I think the basses will look great together, a 'matched pair' as it were.[/quote]

Same paintjob then?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='429218' date='Mar 9 2009, 11:43 AM']Same paintjob then?[/quote]

Hell yeah!

One reason was that it is very expensive to buy and it seemed a shame to waste so much left over from Doodle. The flip paint itself is actually an opaque paint and is very dependent on the colour of the undercoat for the flip finish. Jon did try some different undercoats to see how they came out, but the flip lost it's 'effect' with lighter choices. Hence, both basses will have the same flip. One cool thing about it though, is even though it is the same paint, the flip never goes on the same way twice. ( You can never repair a flip paint job, you have to start again) .. which means for me, if both basses were stood together, one might look green, the other purple.. until you walk past and they change colour in front of your eyes! *insert spooky music* lol

[quote name='dood' post='429251' date='Mar 9 2009, 12:19 PM']Hell yeah!

One reason was that it is very expensive to buy and it seemed a shame to waste so much left over from Doodle. The flip paint itself is actually an opaque paint and is very dependent on the colour of the undercoat for the flip finish. Jon did try some different undercoats to see how they came out, but the flip lost it's 'effect' with lighter choices. Hence, both basses will have the same flip. One cool thing about it though, is even though it is the same paint, the flip never goes on the same way twice. ( You can never repair a flip paint job, you have to start again) .. which means for me, if both basses were stood together, one might look green, the other purple.. until you walk past and they change colour in front of your eyes! *insert spooky music* lol[/quote]

You buy your stuff in from alsacorp? They have some crazy stuff there...!

It's alsacorp's stuff, but we got it through a UK distributor. Yeah, there were so many finishes I could have had! I nearly went for the Hologram/Chrome finish!!! - I was even more tempted by the temperature sensitive coating as well! That would have looked pretty mad I think!

The flip to my eyes looked the most classy though. - It's ideal, as I could never choose one single solid colour for a bass!!!

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='429313' date='Mar 9 2009, 01:12 PM']Oh Dan, that reminds me so much of a Tobias...coincidence? :)[/quote]

Steve! Another eagle eyed one amongst the clan! Yes indeed! More than a passing resemblance to my ole 6 string! I'll have to grab a pic to show where i got my ideas from! I played Tobias basses for many years and as much as they were 'nearly' right.. they still fell short of what I needed. The wood choices are pretty much the same. This one has White Ash wings, whereas my toboas basses were Maple. I have once again gone with a Birds Eye board, to match my other Shuker.

That's looking great Dood, and it's not even finished in the photos. How long was the wait between applying the finish and getting the final product for the Doodle? Are you going to have to wait for any hardware to arrive to complete this bass?

Do let me know if the 'Void make it daaan saaarf when you're up to gigging speed as it would be great to catch up.

[quote name='peted' post='430188' date='Mar 10 2009, 10:25 AM']That's looking great Dood, and it's not even finished in the photos. How long was the wait between applying the finish and getting the final product for the Doodle? Are you going to have to wait for any hardware to arrive to complete this bass?

Do let me know if the 'Void make it daaan saaarf when you're up to gigging speed as it would be great to catch up.[/quote]

Hey mate!! Thank you!

Well, Doodle was actually quite a quick build, considering it was the 1st 7 string singlecut - and all my customisations that required new templates - Also, the finish apparently goes on in a different way, in comparison to the more 'usual' colourings. These choices added a lot of time to the build and I would guesstimate that the finish and the wood prep may have added another few weeks on.. but I couldn't be sure. It was all a blur of excitement!! Not only that, at the time.. I hadn't helped Jon have 20 basses on the go at the same time ;o) - Sorry Jon!

Thankfully ABM are completely up and running again.. Jon has a complete stock of all the bits I need apparently.. so.. we should be looking at bolting up as soon as the lacquer has hardened and been finished.

[quote name='7string' post='430546' date='Mar 10 2009, 02:42 PM']Just had a look at the Alasacorp site. :)

Must have taken an age to decide on a suitable finish for Doodle & Sally!![/quote]

Oh dear gawwwd yes!!! Very difficult! I knew what I had in mind... but the problem came when I was given SO MANY choices!!! What an incredible array of products!