Why become a member? ×

Jon Shuker 6 string headless sig bass.

Dood

[quote name='peted' post='322709' date='Nov 5 2008, 03:10 PM']We have our winner! Sorry, no prize :huh:

I think i'll add everything else you've put after to the spec as well. I wonder if I did that whether Jon will ever speak to me again?[/quote]
:) He would be howling for my blood. Custom features are both a blessing and a curse for him. He doesn't make a lot of money on the additional features people request and the extra time he spends doing them suck up any earnings he had from making the instrument. However the custom bits do provide him with some interest outside the normal models.

[quote name='Finbar' post='322848' date='Nov 5 2008, 06:02 PM']You will have to let me play it when it is done if you are getting the fanned frets. I expressed an interest in that with Jon too, he said although he hadn't done it before, it shouldn't be too hard. I'm very intrigued :)[/quote]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31247"]Of course you can have a whirl when it's finished. The scales I'm planning for aren't anywhere near as 'extreme' as a Dingwall. I'm going for 35"-32", from research it seems that Dingwall do 37"-32" which makes them look a little too weird for my liking.

Anyway, all this discussion about my bass can go on its own thread[/url]. Back on topic - Where are the pictures of Doodles little sister (Brown Eyed Sally, is it? :huh: ).

Edited by peted

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='322965' date='Nov 5 2008, 08:57 PM']:) He would be howling for my blood. Custom features are both a blessing and a curse for him. He doesn't make a lot of money on the additional features people request and the extra time he spends doing them suck up any earnings he had from making the instrument. However the custom bits do provide him with some interest outside the normal models.[/quote]

It probably gives him a bit of extra positive publicity, but judging by the build times that people are reporting, it sounds like extra publicity is probably quite low on his priorities list right now.

S.P.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='324103' date='Nov 7 2008, 11:56 AM']It probably gives him a bit of extra positive publicity, but judging by the build times that people are reporting, it sounds like extra publicity is probably quite low on his priorities list right now.

S.P.[/quote]

Heh heh!! Yes S.P.! I reckon he currently has enough work to keep him going right through till next December!

[quote name='Bassmonster' post='346188' date='Dec 5 2008, 10:06 AM']maybe mines will be finished by then :) :huh: :huh:[/quote]

Woo hooo!!!! No word from Jon yet on li'l Doodle. I'm hoping an update will be forthcoming soon! Can't wait!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I was at Jon's on the 22nd of December to pick my Fender Jazz that he'd worked on for me. I was dying to ask him for a look at Lil' Doodle and also Kiwi's bass, but I decided against it, if he'd offered though I would have taken him up on it. Can't wait to see these two. I played my Shuker 6er headless yesterday, it is sooooo sweet and by far the best Bass I have ever owned.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='369709' date='Jan 4 2009, 01:33 AM']Glad you gone for the headless this time. Looking forward to the birthing shots.[/quote]

Interestingly, the first time I ever went to see Jon, several years ago, I'd asked him to build me a headless, but I changed my mind and had a headstock on my first Shuker.. funny how things work out!! lol

[quote name='peted' post='370704' date='Jan 5 2009, 10:41 AM']I'll wait until she's been cleaned up before taking a look. No birthing shots for me please :)

I'm quite looking forward to seeing how this bass turns out.[/quote]

You're looking forward to it??? lol... I'm quite positively chomping at the bit to get this one home for some serious noodling! Yup, I can't wait to see pics.. it has been a while since the the first and only picture I have had of the rough body shape, shown earlier in this thread.

[quote name='Johngh' post='370852' date='Jan 5 2009, 01:05 PM']I was at Jon's on the 22nd of December to pick my Fender Jazz that he'd worked on for me. I was dying to ask him for a look at Lil' Doodle and also Kiwi's bass, but I decided against it, if he'd offered though I would have taken him up on it. Can't wait to see these two. I played my Shuker 6er headless yesterday, it is sooooo sweet and by far the best Bass I have ever owned.[/quote]

Hey John... yes, I really loved your gorgeous blonde beauty! WHAT a tone!!! I love my 7 string to bits and to have a pair of Shukers again is simply going to be great.. I *know* my new headless is going to be amazing.. that is pretty much a given, when Mr Shuker is involved.. So close.. yet so far!!!

I'll post the pictures of the bass when they arrive.. hopefully any day now.

[quote name='dood' post='371091' date='Jan 5 2009, 04:36 PM']Interestingly, the first time I ever went to see Jon, several years ago, I'd asked him to build me a headless, but I changed my mind and had a headstock on my first Shuker.. funny how things work out!! lol[/quote]

I'm quite surprised you didn't go headless on your 7. I'm going to be honest, the headstock on your 7 scares me.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='371108' date='Jan 5 2009, 04:48 PM']I'm quite surprised you didn't go headless on your 7. I'm going to be honest, the headstock on your 7 scares me.[/quote]

Looking back on it, now that I have been playing Doodle a while, headless would have been the better move.. However, the main problem is the 175 string. It's BIG lol! - I guess I could have had a keyless headstock, that could have worked. On the flipside... it's rather funny watching punters trying to count how many keys I have, so that they can come up after the gig and say 'ooo-aaah! I ain't seen wun o' thum befaaar!' he he he!!

Jon supplied me with a set of ultralite tuning keys for Doodle. Seven normal keys, even tough small are actually quite heavy when they are at the end of a long neck. The new keys produced a marked improvement in weight distribution, not to mention less shoulder ache after 2 hours of playing!!!

[quote name='dood' post='371427' date='Jan 5 2009, 09:26 PM']Looking back on it, now that I have been playing Doodle a while, headless would have been the better move.. However, the main problem is the 175 string. It's BIG lol! - I guess I could have had a keyless headstock, that could have worked. On the flipside... it's rather funny watching punters trying to count how many keys I have, so that they can come up after the gig and say 'ooo-aaah! I ain't seen wun o' thum befaaar!' he he he!!

Jon supplied me with a set of ultralite tuning keys for Doodle. Seven normal keys, even tough small are actually quite heavy when they are at the end of a long neck. The new keys produced a marked improvement in weight distribution, not to mention less shoulder ache after 2 hours of playing!!![/quote]

Always the problem with extended range headless basses - it's hard finding any decent hardware to take thick strings and the cost of commisioning stuff can prove to be uneconomical. What worries me the most about Doodle's headstock is the constuction; whilst it is fine under normal tension, the design of that headstock looks like it could be prone to breaking if it was knocked - especially as the amount of wood between the truss rod slot and the edge of the neck isn't that great. It may be worth suggesting to Jon in future builds that the truss rod access is at the body end (I see a few manufacturers have got smart to this on bass) and the headstock sports a considerable volute (a similar approach was taken by Gibson when they modified their headstocks on Les Pauls and the like) when there is so much tension on the neck with minimal supporting wood. Of course, the downside is more mass at the headstock...

I'm not criticising anybody's bass or Jon's worksmanship in way - it's just a bit of friendly advice! - and a tricky design problem with no ideal solution!

I have to say I've never had any problem with extra weight or size issues on any of the 7s I've owned, and my Shuker especially feels very sturdy at the headstock - I would find it hard to imagine it snapping from tension after taking a knock. I'm assuming the headstocks on my bass and Doodle are a similar construction here though!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='371793' date='Jan 6 2009, 11:43 AM']Always the problem with extended range headless basses - it's hard finding any decent hardware to take thick strings and the cost of commisioning stuff can prove to be uneconomical. What worries me the most about Doodle's headstock is the constuction; whilst it is fine under normal tension, the design of that headstock looks like it could be prone to breaking if it was knocked - especially as the amount of wood between the truss rod slot and the edge of the neck isn't that great. It may be worth suggesting to Jon in future builds that the truss rod access is at the body end (I see a few manufacturers have got smart to this on bass) and the headstock sports a considerable volute (a similar approach was taken by Gibson when they modified their headstocks on Les Pauls and the like) when there is so much tension on the neck with minimal supporting wood. Of course, the downside is more mass at the headstock...

I'm not criticising anybody's bass or Jon's worksmanship in way - it's just a bit of friendly advice! - and a tricky design problem with no ideal solution![/quote]

Hi! no, I understand, not a criticism. However, the neck on my 7 string is a a seven piece laminate block featuring wenge, which is, as you may already know, a very hard wood. (less prone to breakage) - The tilt back headstock in this case (unlike Gibson guitars for example) isn't a seperate piece of wood. (Which is where a fair amount of weakness, and said headstock breakages appeared on those guitars.) Furthermore, with reference to the cut out for the truss rods, on Doodle, the slots are infact very small, with just enough room to get a key in, thus not taking too much wood away from the headstock construction. I think this makes for a strong joint and I suspect the chances of breakage are very minimal. I think the extra neck width probably adds to the strength of construction around the nut area of the neck too. In short, I'm sure Jon has looked at this 'tricky design problem' already and tackled any areas of weakness.

Good thoughts for discussion though.