Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Promethean Combo

wateroftyne

Hi folks

It was ordered from Thomann a couple of weeks ago, shipped as soon as it came into stock on Friday, and it was there waiting for me at my desk when I got into work....

It's following in the footsteps of my recently-departed Walkabout Scout.

Now I'm not expecting it to approach the WS in terms of heft and volume, but I can't wait to see what it can do...

More to come!

Edited by wateroftyne

Cheers, folks!

First thing.. it feels like a real pro bit of kit. It looks a bit flimsy in the photos (because of the red, maybe?) but it couldn't be further from the truth in the flesh.

Also, it's reassuringly weighty, but not heavy. IYKWIM.

Some Lindy Fralin split-coil Jazz pickups have just landed on my desk, too.. I'll pop them in when I get home.

It's going to be a fun night...

Awesome dude!
I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
It's a cracking wee amp, and I've already received several complaints from neighbours due to the excess bass extension, something I rarely achieved with my previous LM and Aguilar 1X12 setup...

It is a very solid piece of kit isn't it, I was very surprised, I think it's even better built than the MarkBass stuff which IMO was a jump up from Trace Elliot.

Enjoy :)
Eude

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='906972' date='Jul 27 2010, 12:45 PM']Cheers, folks!

First thing.. it feels like a real pro bit of kit. It looks a bit flimsy in the photos (because of the red, maybe?) but it couldn't be further from the truth in the flesh.

Also, it's reassuringly weighty, but not heavy. IYKWIM.

Some Lindy Fralin split-coil Jazz pickups have just landed on my desk, too.. I'll pop them in when I get home.

It's going to be a fun night...[/quote]

Sounds good! Im looking forward to hearing what you think as we are very much both in the same ball park with what tone we like.

If this combo works out I may even get one as they are REALLY good value for money. Some 1x12s cost more than that combo!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='907082' date='Jul 27 2010, 01:51 PM']ha ha

I've just plugged my iPod into it to check it fires up OK.

It gets loud VERY quickly, as my colleagues across the office will tell you. As they wipe their coffee up.

:rolleyes:[/quote]

Good man :)

Well, isn't this a fab little thing??

I've just spent the evening tinkering with it, and I'm quite smitten...

I can't fault the construction... Solid as a rock! No buzzes or rattles that I can make out. It powers up straight away. The tilt-back thingy wotsit underneath pulls into place with a satisfying click. The fan is barely audible.

Frankly, This combo doesn't feel anything like the cheapest in it's class. Quality all the way. It even smells like a new car!

The tone?

When I first fired up, I noticed straight away that it doesn't have the huge, fat BOOTAY inherent in the Walkabout Scout. Nor would I expect it to - it's half the size and weight. However, at low volumes, give the bass knob a nudge and it rounds out nicely, with significantly more clarity than the Scout. Don't like the clarity? Engage the magic vibe button and turn it until it makes you smile... one way for vintage and the other for modern.

Volume-wise, I'm quietly confident it'll be fine for acoustic open mics, rehearsals when I'm feeling lazy, and maybe small gigs with quiet drummers. I'll try it at all these things and report back.

I'll also try the head with the Bergs at a gig and see how it compares the the TC.

Other cheeky bonuses: The AUX IN & headphone facility is fab. My TC has it too, but you can play along with MP3s through the speaker, which you can't do with the TC.

Also, I can plug my iPod into it and play tunes on it when I'm entertaining royalty in the garden. It sounds great. So long, crappy iPod dock!

Drawbacks?

Umm... I found out the hard way that the signal chain isn't muted immediately when you switch it off. No biggie, I just have to be careful to mute it or wait a second or two before I unplug the bass.

And... the fitted case is awesome, but it doesn't have a top handle or side handles. Again, no biggie, but if you want to - for example - pick it up to carry it a couple of feet and put it down again, you have to do the whole 'strap on the shoulder' thing, or just pick it up in the huggy stylee.

There's a teeny-tiny bit of hiss when it's cranked, probably not an unusual amount. I think in any situation where you would have it at that volume a little bit of hiss would be the last thing you'd hear. At 'plunking in the living room' volume, it's dead silent.

Apart from that, it's fab.

So far so, VERY good... :-)

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='907845' date='Jul 28 2010, 08:59 AM']Nah.. I found that in a skip a while ago.[/quote]

Yeh I threw it in there as it was getting a bit shabby and I fancied a new one! :)

Must catch up and have a cuppa as I'd like to hear this litle thing. :rolleyes:

Had mine for a few months now, very impressive piece of kit, I tried using the head at a gig with my Schroeder 410L and it sounded just as good as my Markbass head. The reason I chose this was I can use the head for a backup, think Markbass combos missed a trick on this. I think I wouldn't gig with the single speaker, maybe add the extra 10" extension cab to the mix then reckon it should handle a small gig ok.

Excellent dude :)
Glad it's all working out so far.
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the little fella.

I've got a rehearsal with my "jaunty dad rock" band tonight, acoustic guitar and 2 vocals all through the PA with full drum kit throw in.
Not a full on "war volume" test, but will give a good idea of "pub gig" use, plus it'll be nice to get it past annoying the neighbours volume levels!

Got a smallish festival gig on the 11th of August too, I intend to use my little Promethean as my stage monitor and DI out to the desk for front of house stuff.

Eude

Just so you know, the Promethean killed last night!
Easily overpowered a 4 piece drum kit, and 2 vocals and acoustic guitar going through a PA.
This will handle pub gigs no bother at all.
The thing has a hell of a lot of bass extension for a crazy small box too, not quite as much as the Aguilar GS112, but a similarly surprising effect!

Eude