Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Promethean Combo

wateroftyne

Just ordered another P5110. I see the price of the head alone has fallen to £345 (was £360 a couple of weeks back) which almost made me go for the head + cab option, but then I suppose you lose the convenience of the combo. Then again the standalone cab is 4" taller than the combo, so it probably has a better bass response. Hmm...

• 2 months later...

Quick update...

I too the Promethean head out of the combo and ran it alongside my RH450 through a BFB Compact over the weekend, switching back and forth between songs.

What a great little head... it was a slightly different flavour to the RH450, but I just couldn't choose between them. What a bargain...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1010524' date='Nov 3 2010, 11:02 AM']Quick update...

I too the Promethean head out of the combo and ran it alongside my RH450 through a BFB Compact over the weekend, switching back and forth between songs.

What a great little head... it was a slightly different flavour to the RH450, but I just couldn't choose between them. What a bargain...[/quote]

Glad to hear it's still working well for you mate.
Would you say the Promethean is a little more old school in character?
Is to my ears, certainly not very hi-fi.

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='1010776' date='Nov 3 2010, 01:57 PM']Glad to hear it's still working well for you mate.
Would you say the Promethean is a little more old school in character?
Is to my ears, certainly not very hi-fi.

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]
It's definitely in the old-school side!

More so than the TC? Maybe. This really suprised me.

I ran both amps flat (whatever that means in reality!) and they were definitely in the same ballpark...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1010798' date='Nov 3 2010, 02:11 PM']It's definitely in the old-school side!

More so than the TC? Maybe. This really suprised me.

I ran both amps flat (whatever that means in reality!) and they were definitely in the same ballpark...[/quote]

Cool man.
I'm resigned to bedroom playing for the foreseeable, having moved to London, so no big gigs at the mo.
I'm still in my Edinburgh band, but gigging is going to be very sparse just now. Getting married next year, so once that's done, I'll look for something more regular down here, "South of the River".
Can't wait to get the Promethean plugged into something with a but more speaker surface area. It's great that the very same amp is perfect for bedroom practice with headphones though isn't it :)

Eude

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks

Someone on another forum (cough) mentioned they'd like to hear some clips of the Promethean goin' at it old-school. So... I made some.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT00UBMpu34"]Jazz Clip[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv0lR2dGctw"]Precision Clip[/url]

The usual 'non-scientific, excuse the dull playing' caveats apply...

• 6 months later...

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but the video clips I've made in the past have used the crappy mic on my camera. I've now got a Zoom H2 which, and I thought I'd do another clip to try and give an idea of how hefty these combos sound...

(If you can't stomach hackneyed 12-bar basslines, look away now)

Bought a Promethean Combo last week, used it this weekend, one gig was a 600 capacity club, got a great sound with my MM Stingray, the DI signal to the desk was strong and generated a great tone through the PA. Nice tight focussed sound, plenty of depth. Used it at home with my EUB NXT upright it sounded great.

No hiss that I have read about from my example.

It looks ace and has a solid quality feel to it.

On stage it keeps up, easily, with two guitar players, one using a mesa boogie combo and the other a fender combo as well as a sprightly drummer, the 10 inch speaker really cuts through. I will probably use it without PA support at small gigs, it has such a tight sound and good projection.

Promethean P5110 gets a big thumbs up from me!

Out with it 3 times this week ( I do a fair number of gigs) when time allows I will write some updates.

Stu

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1233449' date='May 16 2011, 07:05 PM']I bloody love my Promethean:

[url="http://soundcloud.com/fourfingerfunk/move-it-on-over"]Recording[/url] from last Thursday in a room with about 150+ people :)[/quote]
Just got round to listening to this... cool :)

• 4 weeks later...

Having a custom cover made for my Promethean Combo, a simple slip over padded cover with access hole to the handle on the top. My combo is being used exclusively at all my gigs at the moment so got to get the little guy a bit of protection. If the cover turns out okay I will post some photos and details of supplier.

Nothing but praise for this little amp so far

Stu

[quote name='Bluepigbass' post='1264824' date='Jun 11 2011, 12:20 PM']Having a custom cover made for my Promethean Combo, a simple slip over padded cover with access hole to the handle on the top. My combo is being used exclusively at all my gigs at the moment so got to get the little guy a bit of protection. If the cover turns out okay I will post some photos and details of supplier.

Stu[/quote]
Cool! I've just asked Roqsolid for a quote for a cover... I'll post here when they get back to me.

I used mine at a 'proper' gig for the first time last night - my main rig is set up somewhere else. The band I was playing with isn't loud (the drummer uses a Cajon, drum and a Handsonic), but the punters were chatty and noisy so we had to crank it up a bit more than normal. The Promethean coped brilliantly. Obviously it didn't have the authority of my main rig at that kind of volume, but it wasn't lacking. It surprises me constantly...

[quote name='Bluepigbass' post='1264824' date='Jun 11 2011, 12:20 PM']Having a custom cover made for my Promethean Combo, a simple slip over padded cover with access hole to the handle on the top. My combo is being used exclusively at all my gigs at the moment so got to get the little guy a bit of protection. If the cover turns out okay I will post some photos and details of supplier.

Stu[/quote]

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1267046' date='Jun 13 2011, 10:24 AM']Cool! I've just asked Roqsolid for a quote for a cover... I'll post here when they get back to me.

I used mine at a 'proper' gig for the first time last night - my main rig is set up somewhere else. The band I was playing with isn't loud (the drummer uses a Cajon, drum and a Handsonic), but the punters were chatty and noisy so we had to crank it up a bit more than normal. The Promethean coped brilliantly. Obviously it didn't have the authority of my main rig at that kind of volume, but it wasn't lacking. It surprises me constantly...[/quote]

I'm really interested to see how you both get on with yer custom covers, have considered doing something similar :)

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='1267264' date='Jun 13 2011, 01:31 PM']I'm really interested to see how you both get on with yer custom covers, have considered doing something similar :)

Eude[/quote]

Heres what I did.... just got rid of the stock strap and got my local shoemaker to bolt on a leather one. Working a treat so far.

As a side note, are any of you promethean owners noticing that you are clipping the output when your playing at decent volume?

[quote name='Jesso' post='1267993' date='Jun 13 2011, 10:14 PM']Heres what I did.... just got rid of the stock strap and got my local shoemaker to bolt on a leather one. Working a treat so far.

As a side note, are any of you promethean owners noticing that you are clipping the output when your playing at decent volume?[/quote]
It was actually the steel loops that gave way on mine... they bent open! I lost faith in it at that point. :)

Mine has clipped occasionally driven VERY hard at 8ohm, but nothing audible happened...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1269304' date='Jun 14 2011, 10:03 PM']Order placed for a cover from Roqsolid... 40-odd quid. I'm going to use it more for gigging with one of my bands, so it'll be worth it.

I'll report back with pics, etc. when the cover arrives.[/quote]

Nice one dude, looking forward to seeing the results.
Are you going to something that just slips over the top allowing access to the handle on the top?

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='1269831' date='Jun 15 2011, 11:19 AM']Nice one dude, looking forward to seeing the results.
Are you going to something that just slips over the top allowing access to the handle on the top?

Eude[/quote]
That's right! It's like a padded version of the Walkabout Scout cover I used to have.

It just drops over the top with a hole for the handle. I've asked for a side-pocket too, to fit a kettle lead in.

Mind you,[url="http://www.amplifiercoversonline.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=107_36&products_id=2037"] they've added it to their on-line catalogue[/url] based on my measurements. I hope I was accurate... :)

Time will tell...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1269853' date='Jun 15 2011, 11:29 AM']Mind you,[url="http://www.amplifiercoversonline.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=107_36&products_id=2037"] they've added it to their on-line catalogue[/url] based on my measurements. I hope I was accurate... :)

Time will tell...[/quote]

Oooo, pressure's on then :)
I'm it'll be fine dude, I'll probably order myself one soon enough too.

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='1269856' date='Jun 15 2011, 11:32 AM']Oooo, pressure's on then :)
I'm it'll be fine dude, I'll probably order myself one soon enough too.

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]
Yeah.. it's probably wise to hang on and let me take the bullet if I was wrong. :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1272694' date='Jun 17 2011, 01:16 PM']Flipping heck... The cover has arrived! I only sent them the measurements on Wednesday..

Off to a gig, so more tomorrow. :)[/quote]

Did you get the measurements right then?... :)

Eude

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1272700' date='Jun 17 2011, 01:24 PM']I'm not sure.. Mrs. WoT has just rang to tell me it's landed, but I won't be home until later tonight.

Fingers crossed![/quote]

Cool man, looking forward to hear how you got on.
Might treat myself to a WoT Signature Promethean Cover after pay day...

Eude