Why become a member? ×

Two's company, three's deformity

niceguyhomer

My self-imposed bass policy has always been 'no more than two' at any time and having tried and failed miserably to sell something to make way for a much-wanted Precision, I now have 3 basses. Now - two weeks into my 3 bass status, I'm looking at them and thinking I don't need/want 3 basses and I just don't seem to be able to get that thought out of my head.

It's not a money thing - for some strange reason I've always felt uncomfortable owning 3 basses and just don't believe in keeping anything that gathers dust.

Anybody else suffer with this strange condition?

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='100792' date='Dec 7 2007, 11:43 AM']My self-imposed bass policy has always been 'no more than two' at any time and having tried and failed miserably to sell something to make way for a much-wanted Precision, I now have 3 basses. Now - two weeks into my 3 bass status, I'm looking at them and thinking I don't need/want 3 basses and I just don't seem to be able to get that thought out of my head.

It's not a money thing - for some strange reason I've always felt uncomfortable owning 3 basses and just don't believe in keeping anything that gathers dust.

Anybody else suffer with this strange condition?[/quote]

With you there mate. I'm down to a three bass rule, one precision with maple, one with rosewood and one fretless. I wish I could make up my mind between the two fretted Ps as well; one does a great Jamerson and one does a great funky/slappy thing. Although it was an awesome bass, I let my Modulus Flea go because it was just hanging around in an awkward kind of way really. I've tried the 'one bass to do everything' approach and find that I like the variation of having two - I prefer to get my Motown thud from an old Precision strung with heavy flats than from a super-versatile active bass. Also, rehearsing funk stuff on the flats really strengthens and sharpens the hands for playing the same lines on the lighter rounds on t'other bass. I'd love to have just the one bass really, and perhaps it will happen one day when I realise I'm better at Motown/blues than I'll ever be at slap/funk :)
Chris

Guest TheBigBeefChief

I own 2 basses currently, soon to be 3 but I know what you're saying. It seems wrong to have basses that aren't played and I almost get frustrated at having to chose what to play. I don't think I'd ever want more than 3 at any one time. Ideally, I love the idea of owning just one bass and watching it get battle scars throughout the years. It would somehow make it even more valuable to me. Like an old friend. Or your penis. Not sure how practical this is though.

The trouble I have is that I'm to lazy to sell things. Just seems eay to stick it in a corner. I also hate the feeling of regret. Would hate to sell something to then see it changing hands for serious money in years to come.

I've also promised the lady that 3 is my limit.

I have 2 basses for each of my 2 projects.

2 Passive basses for covers, main and backup
2 active basses for my originals band, 2 different tunings

if i had the money i'd have another 2 basses as backups for the differently tuned basses.

One day :-D
Probably when someone else is carrying my gear lol

The only bass that isn't really doing anything at the mo is my Shuker EUB (see FS section :) )

Si

I'll be down to two basses that I definitely want (getting my bass from home tomorrow), both Jazzes, both black, one a Geddy, one an epoxied fretless. I genuinely only play one bass though, to me it's just an instrument so the only reason I'd change is because the instrument I have is limiting me from what I want to do. So you never know, one of them could be up for sale soon!

Mark

Edited by mcgraham

Can't contribute much on this one, the lowest number I can justify is 5. Two extended range basses (fretted and fretless) plus jazz, precision and stingray. I get uncomfortable beyond 10 TBH. Even though I'm at 7 right now, I haven't played the Pentabuzz in about 4 months.

I just want my flat to look like a bass store, so I currently have 4 plus a cheapo electro-acoustic. But there is a point to them all so I do now have little need for more:

1. Vester Jazz copy, my first bass so never being sold for sentimental reasons
2. Status Retroactive J, built for me and my main gigging bass
3. Status Groove 5, coz the low B is good
4. Status Groove fretless, coz it's fretless and lovely
5. Firewood. Oh, sorry, electro-acoustic cheapo, for messing around on at home

Might want a P bass at some point. No, I DO want a P bass at some point. Just can't justify it yet :)

[quote name='TheBigBeefChief' post='100802' date='Dec 7 2007, 11:54 AM']Ideally, I love the idea of owning just one bass and watching it get battle scars throughout the years. It would somehow make it even more valuable to me. Like an old friend. Or your penis. Not sure how practical this is though.[/quote]

So, does that mean you have a battle-scarred penis, or that you are not sure how practical your penis is? Either scenario probably warrants medical/psychological inrtervention of some sort :)

Know where you're coming from. Currently back to 3 and somehow it doesn't feel right.

Main Gigger - a 2004 MIA black Precision. This just feels right and does what it says on the tin.

Change/Jamming Bass - a 2006 Warwick Thumb BO4. Nice set of sounds and it's own distinctive voice, cuts through the crappest of Jam night set ups.

The new one - a 2007 Lakky DJ5 Skyline. Fancied a go at a 5 string. I can see this getting left at home and coming out for the odd noodle. Probably some time down the line after it's gathered an inch of dust it will be sold on this fair forum.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='100834' date='Dec 7 2007, 12:34 PM']I think you know Alan that I don't have your problem.

I of course have my own :)

What are your 3? Do you have a P?[/quote]

Hi Peter,

The Sterling
The Lakland DJ and;
A Mexican P - which I've just prised out of my tutor's mitts. Lovely player, great build quality and it's getting a Wizard Thumper for Xmas :huh:

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='100792' date='Dec 7 2007, 11:43 AM']It's not a money thing - for some strange reason I've always felt uncomfortable owning 3 basses and just don't believe in keeping anything that gathers dust.

Anybody else suffer with this strange condition?[/quote]

I know what you mean. I feel exactly like this about electric guitars, I currently have 1 electric guitar that I play every day and that's the only guitar I own. Whereas with bass I currently own 5, 1 or 2 of which will sometimes go a couple of weeks without leaving their cases. If this was my electric guitar I'd feel bad but with basses I don't and I don't have a clue why.

Just dropped down from 12 to 10.... but only to make space/free up resources ready for some serious new additions in 2008.
Yet for over 15 years I had one bass - a Wal Custom - and never looked at anything else...
GAS is a weird thing - but once it gets you - you're done for...there's no way back now!
:)

[quote name='99ster' post='101041' date='Dec 7 2007, 05:59 PM']GAS is a weird thing - once it gets you - you're done for...there's no way back now![/quote]
Amen Bro. I personally agree with that statement, though not all will.

There is no right or wrong number of instruments. Where is the line drawn between collector and player? Can both co-exist or are they mutually exclusive?

If you have the money and the urge, buy as many as you have room for. A bass will retain some residual value should you ever fall on hard times.

If you're happy with your 'bass soul mate' then stay faithful to her.

Everyone's personal viewpoint will be dependent upon the factors that influence them (money, storage, insurance, transport, nagging spouse, stage clumsiness...etc)