Why become a member? ×

Perfect, just perfect!!

CHRISDABASS

Morning all

:)

Just wanted to say that i really think i've found the perfect combination of gear for my sound!!

:rolleyes: At last night's gig i played my Sadowsky metro through my Markbass LM3 into my cheap n cheerful Hartke 410 and it sounded awesome!

With everything on the amp set flat i was just tweaking the EQ and pickup pan on the bass to fine tune the sound for each song

There's something about this combination of gear that really cuts through the mix big time! i love it!

i still cant believe how great these Hartke cabs sound for £120! ive had cabs that cost £800 that didnt sound as good IMO (thats why i now have two of them!!) Also they're light enough for me to carry all my gear from the car/van to the venue in one go! who needs NEO cabs ey!!? haha

Has anyone else found their perfect match?

:lol:

i totally agree!

Just because it costs a lot of money doesn't mean it will sound better

i've played through countless great big heavy amp heads and expensive cabs that couldn't produce the sound i get from the tiny Markbass + Hartke

The other night i was at a gig, The band were playing to 200+ people, their bass player had a stingray copy running through a tiny ashdown 1x12 (i think) combo which was then DI'd into the P.A system! it sounded HUGE!! and all for a few hundred quid!

this is why i'll never understand people who break their backs to take massive rig's to gigs when you can do the same job with something small and save your self the time, effort and money :)

It does look alot cooler to have a tower of Ampeg onstage behind you but i'm totally in agreement about not having to take a refrigerator sized rig around with you,you can get a hefty enough sound out of smaller gear.
I really want to get a Mark Bass head,my Trace is ok but all the MB's ive had a go on have blown my socks off!

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='903935' date='Jul 24 2010, 12:32 PM']Yes, but it always starts with the bass and then the amp and speakers refine things.[/quote]
Yeah, +1 to that - first and foremost its the bass that counts - for me, Fender Precision all the way.

My set-up is relatively inexpensive, being a 2nd hand US Fender Precision, 2nd hand Marshall DBS 7400, with Marshall VBC412 spkr cab (bought new).

Used it at a gig last night for the first time (the DBS only bought last wk) and was amazing - you know when yr playing "that tone you`ve heard in yr head" well last night was it for me.

Gotta admit tho, the Marshall gear is rather heavy!

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='903861' date='Jul 24 2010, 11:15 AM'](thats why i now have two of them!!) Also they're light enough for me to carry all my gear from the car/van to the venue in one go! who needs NEO cabs ey!!? haha[/quote]

Chris, You da Man

Don't those 410's weigh 88 lbs each?

[quote name='Platypus' post='903967' date='Jul 24 2010, 01:08 PM']Chris, You da Man

Don't those 410's weigh 88 lbs each?[/quote]

haha cheers

Nah they're the transporter range and way 65lbs (actually lighter than a markbass 104hf neo cab)

[url="http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=40"]http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=40[/url]

if you bare in mind my old Aguilar 2x10 weighed in at nearly 60lbs, the hartke is really light for a 4x10

:)

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='903893' date='Jul 24 2010, 11:59 AM']this is why i'll never understand people who break their backs to take massive rig's to gigs when you can do the same job with something small and save your self the time, effort and money :)[/quote]

That would work if they did the same job, but some genres require huge SPL, impressive looking backline and can't expect any PA support. Plus big cabs are loads cheaper than fancy small ones, and the greater sensitivity is necessary if valve amps are a major factor in your tone.

I've given up thinking I'll ever find my perfect setup.

I've been close a few of times though:

Yamaha BB3000S, BB1100S - Roland DB500

Lakland DJ4, Fender Geddy Lee Jazz - Fender 400 Pro

Overwater Progress 3, Fender H1 Jazz - Fender 400 Pro

Kinal MK-5, Fernandes APB-5 - Fender 400 Pro

No idea if the current live rig will be the last, but I doubt it very much knowing my history for moving gear around. I think it's an endless search for me, like running after the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, I'll never get there. I mean if you'd ever heard the Kinal at full tilt through the 400 Pro during one of our gigs, you'd wonder why anyone would ever want to change that setup, but I did, because I'm an idiot.

I've not been one to chop and change amps/cabs a great deal. Over the last 15 years I've had 2 "proper" amps (SWR350, Thunderfunk550), and 3 cabs (SWR Bigfoot 2x12, Accugroove Tri210, EBS Neo 2x12), before arriving at my current set up.

This rig was motivated mostly by the fact that it's small and compact (easy to manage in London), however it also sounds fantastic. All things considered I can't think of anything (at the moment) that could replace...

MarkBass F500 -> ACME Low B2 -> :brow: (and cuts through every time)

The F500 is super light and portable, and has enough juice to power the ACME. The ACME is just awesome for the size. Trouser flapping low end, and to my ears sounds similar to a 2x15 Trace stack that I once played through at a rehearsal studio. I'm so glad I took the gamble on the ACME.

Seriously, I have no amp/cab GAS at all at the moment, although there have been weak moments, I have come to my senses :)

I'm happier now with my tone than I've ever been. In the studio I used an old Fender solid state combo blended in with a DI tone & it sounded amazing. Live wise I play Precisions through Ampeg cabs & either a Bassman or Ampeg head. A big part of my sound was sorting out my strings & my fingers though and this should not be underestimated.

After years of rejecting Fenders I'm now happy with my two Fender Jazz basses. A US 75 reissue (Ash/ rosewood) and a classic 70s. (Sunburst/ rosewood) Any one of them would be wonderful. I'm just being greedy. (I blew a small lottery win)

But I'm even more happy with my rig.:

Markbass LMII into either a Barefaced Midget or Barefaced Compact. For bigger gigs where a MASSIVE sound is required, both cabs together.

In practice, that's three rigs to choose from. Each one is brilliant - light, loud, deep, accurate,aggresive. Take your pick,it's all there in this rig.

Couldn't be happier.

Frank

EDIT for spelling

Edited by machinehead

I've had some really magnificent tones in the last few years. The problem for me is that something that does a fantastic warm thumpy old school tone generally speaking wont sound like a rig designed to do hi-fi sparkle. Untill I can afford two rigs I dont think I'm going to be able to say I've got everything I want. Having said that, I'm chuffed to bits for you, Chris!