Why become a member? ×

Best Jazz basses on the market at the moment

Musicman20

After trying and being impressed with the RW Jazz, and also trying the Lakland JOs, Im giving this a lot of thought. I dont want to rush into anything.

The Lakland JO and other examples I tested again had QC issues like massive neck pockets and misaligned pups. Ive even seen the ring for the through body stringing on the back misaligned and half hanging out.

So, Im steering clear of Lakland.

I still like the Fender RW Jazz...but I still have that annoying 'is it going to be better than a 60s Classic?' question hanging over it. Maybe I should try one again.

Im looking for: 60s pickup location, rosewood board, White or Sunburst, excellent attention to detail and excellent neck pocket, dots not blocks, 4 strings, passive.

I dont want another American Standard despite the fact I like them.

I want a vintage 60s-esque tone so the bass must nail this!

Any suggestions other than the RW Jazz? I could go secondhand but Im very picky so that could take a long time.

Thanks

I'd say that the Sandbergs have a modern "pingy" tone, although the California PM "Supreme" they have in Electro is a seriously nice bass at £1400.

I've been very impressed with Mike Walsh's Aero pickup equipped Iceni Funkmeister. Serious Jazz sound with to die for build quality. Definitely worth a look. My fretless is stunning & I'm in the process of ordering a new body for the spare fretted neck from him. These basses have a serious "super" Jazz sound, but not sterilized like a Sadowsky - More like a slightly boosted classic Jazz sound.

I think the best would be an american vintage 62 jazz bass ... that I think is better than the road worn IMHO ...
but it's just my Opinion ... :)

You could try an "Atelier Z", for sure, the most fenderish tone I heard
then you've got "Bacchus", really good basses.

For the best quality/money/sound ... I'd go for a bacchus ...

Edited by flychris

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='891769' date='Jul 11 2010, 09:10 AM']I'd say that the Sandbergs have a modern "pingy" tone, although the California PM "Supreme" they have in Electro is a seriously nice bass at £1400.

I've been very impressed with Mike Walsh's Aero pickup equipped Iceni Funkmeister. Serious Jazz sound with to die for build quality. Definitely worth a look. My fretless is stunning & I'm in the process of ordering a new body for the spare fretted neck from him. These basses have a serious "super" Jazz sound, but not sterilized like a Sadowsky - More like a slightly boosted classic Jazz sound.[/quote]

+1 to Mike.... the only [b]wooden[/b] Jazz I'd ever consider

OK I'm biassed because I have three of his basses and I think he's a top bloke, but I'd like to bet that for around a grand Jon Shuker could build you what you're specifying - and then you have your own choice of, well, everything. Of course you'd have to wait for it, but you get *your* bass...

[quote name='Shockwave' post='893137' date='Jul 12 2010, 08:19 PM']I dont know about anyone else, but i am loving my Fender Deluxe USA Jazz 5 string.

Decent low B and only a 34 inch scale length. Really comfy neck!

Rob :)[/quote]

Yes, I still love your Fender Deluxe USA Jazz 5 string as well! (I miss her...!)

Ummmm, I would still say just try a bunch of Fenders, either Mexican Standard, Roadworn, or US standard. If you play around 20 you will probably find at least one that you fall in love with. Even if you find a Mexi with a good neck and decent fretwork that plays great, you could spend the rest on new pickups and new bridge.

I think that if you really want to get a 1960s sounding Fender Jazz that isn't a 1960s Fender Jazz you might be wanting an Alleva Coppolo, but I think that they are well over £2000.

As for an off the shelf new bass, that isn't a custom shop job, but will not suffer from the same kind of QC issues that you often see in Fenders, I would go with a Sandberg. The Hardcore aged ones have vibration treatment that makes them apparently sound more like vintage basses. I nearly bought one at the turn of the year.

I didn't know about the Lakland problems, that is a shame. I thought that they were all meant to pass through the US shop for final inspections, which would surely result in shoddy ones being picked up? I have only tried a Skyline P bass model, which seemed to be made alright, but had a strange neck profile that was really different to a Precision neck, and not in a way I liked.

Still my vote would be to find a Fender that plays well and sounds good, and then give it a good set up and tweaking.

I'd go for a Nash, though some guys may not like the chunky neck. Hearing good reports about the Road Worn, as well.

ANd then there's always CIJ kit. Check out Guitar Emporium and my old friends Ishibashi in Japan.

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='crez5150' post='893143' date='Jul 12 2010, 08:26 PM']+1 to Mike.... the only [b]wooden[/b] Jazz I'd ever consider[/quote]

Agreed, Jay - I'm very glad I chanced on mine - Because the Iceni Funkmeisters are so rare, I had no idea how good they were until I played mine in anger. Classic Jazz sound in spades with that extra lift and shove from the preamp. My second body is going to have Nordstrand big singles in it for a bit of variation, though. (The Aero pickups are much more expensive, too!)

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

Did you try the Aerodyne. Not exactly what you are looking for I suppose but its the only Fender I know of with the same neck specs as the Roadworn jazz. Great bass for longer gigs. I've heard they do a sunburst model but I've yet to see one.

[quote name='Mog' post='893470' date='Jul 13 2010, 09:50 AM']Did you try the Aerodyne. Not exactly what you are looking for I suppose but its the only Fender I know of with the same neck specs as the Roadworn jazz. Great bass for longer gigs. I've heard they do a sunburst model but I've yet to see one.[/quote]

Hi

Thanks, but unfortunately im not into the style of the Aerodyne. Sunburst would be great though!

It now seems I might be being predictable and just getting another American Series Jazz unless something else comes up. Once I get a proper case for the Roadworn its the same price as the American Standard and yep that includes the Sunburst version!

Im going to give it some thought.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='893805' date='Jul 13 2010, 03:09 PM']Hi

Thanks, but unfortunately im not into the style of the Aerodyne. Sunburst would be great though!

It now seems I might be being predictable and just getting another American Series Jazz unless something else comes up. Once I get a proper case for the Roadworn its the same price as the American Standard and yep that includes the Sunburst version!

Im going to give it some thought.[/quote]
If you are going the Am Std route, why not just buy alhbass' 2009 3TS for a cut-price £625? I owned that bass once (bought it in Aug 2009 and later sold it to Old Horse Murphy) and I can assure you its a good'un. I think OHM put one tiny dint in it (assuming nothing untoward has since happened) but that was not enough to worry even the more bass-proud like you Gareth (and me!) And its a whopping saving on new [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=79630&hl=alhbass"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=alhbass[/url]

No, I don't get commission on sales of my previously-owned basses :)

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='893820' date='Jul 13 2010, 03:23 PM']For me this is the king of Jazzes

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=94548"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=94548[/url][/quote]

Tis lovely. If it was the rosewood version Id be going to check it out, definitely. I just fancied a different board on this un.

Still a toss up between American Standard and Roadworn....both basically the same price new except the RW has a soft gig bag.

[quote name='flychris' post='893131' date='Jul 12 2010, 08:12 PM']then you've got "Bacchus", really good basses.

For the best quality/money/sound ... I'd go for a bacchus ...[/quote]

This.

One of their Woodline J's would fit the bill to a T!

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='894534' date='Jul 14 2010, 10:51 AM']I am still yet to play a bass better than my Sandberg California JJ.[/quote]

I do like the style of Sandbergs, but im concerned they wont sound 'vintage J' enough for me, as they tend to be quite modern.

Best production j bass I have experience of is the 75RI. Very well built with a lot of cojones. I have the maple board but I'm sure the rosewood would be lovely too.

The 75RI utterly outclasses every American Standard I have played. It's really good...

N

[quote name='Cairobill' post='894609' date='Jul 14 2010, 12:38 PM']Best production j bass I have experience of is the 75RI. Very well built with a lot of cojones. I have the maple board but I'm sure the rosewood would be lovely too.

The 75RI utterly outclasses every American Standard I have played. It's really good...

N[/quote]

Ah, they are great looking basses, but I just prefer normal 60s pickup spacing.