Why become a member? ×

Prince's New CD

Pete Academy

So after giving his last CD - which was abysmal IMO - free with the Daily Mail, Prince has resorted to giving the new one away with the Daily Mirror this Saturday.

Talk about 'from the sublime to the ridiculous'.

The Mirror says it's the best album he'e ever done.

I'll get it but I'm not expecting too much. Or could we be pleasantly surprised?

Does anyone agree with me regarding the last CD?

Never liked Prince anyway. My wife assures me, after my scathing comments about not being able to give them away, that this is a sound business strategy to drive bums on seats for the tour.

Reminds me of Doonesbury's Jimmy Ray Thudpucker, who last I heard had put all his back catalogue in the Internet for free and reinvented himself as a "ringtone artist".

[url="http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/thecast/jimmy.html"]http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/thecast/jimmy.html[/url]

Over here in Belgium you can get the cd for free also with a local newspaper (Prince is doing a gig here tomorrow and I'm going to see the show).
The cd gets really good reviews around here (some musicians were asked to give their opinion and it seems to be a great album) and from what I've seen on youtube the liveshow seems to be fantastic.

He was fantastic live @ the O2, and stuff like Sign 'o' The Times in it's entirity is a must have CD, but you're right Pete, that last one was a howler. I dare say I'll give the new one a go though, the Mirror will go straight in the bin though.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='890110' date='Jul 9 2010, 08:45 AM']Would someone mind bagging me a copy please?[/quote]
No probs mate :)

I bought the last one (not abysmal IMHO, but rather underwhelming), even though it meant buying the Mail... I made a point of taking th CD out of the packaging before i left the shop and dumping the paper in the bin outside the door. I'll probably do the same with the new one.

I really liked Planet Earth!

Mind you I am a bit of a Prince freak, lol. I've had a real Prince-fest the past few days & have been playing loads of his stuff - had no idea there was a new album out though :)

I always thought he was the artist most appropriate for CD's when I first started buying them. About half of each album is utter tripe but buried away there's always a few gems. With a CD he was the first person I discovered the 'skip' button.

However he caught me out with early versions of LoveSexy - it only has one track so you can't just go straight to Anastesia which was the last track on side one of the LP.

Live At the Aladdin is a great dvd - he loosens up with the band nicely. The Year2K one is my fave though. There are loads of Prince bootlegs from all points in his career. But I'm not about to divulge my sources publically. Some of them are crap anyway. But the soundcheck recordings are pretty good - anything where he has to interact with people.

The Gold Experience, Diamonds and Pearls, Chaos and Disorder.

Love, love, love them.

Planet Earth wasn't great but not as bad as some people seem to say.
Guitar was cool as was Chelsea Rogers although they were nothing new- good old funky Prince tracks.

[quote name='chardbass' post='890986' date='Jul 10 2010, 12:38 AM']The Gold Experience, Diamonds and Pearls, Chaos and Disorder.

Love, love, love them.

Planet Earth wasn't great but not as bad as some people seem to say.
Guitar was cool as was Chelsea Rogers although they were nothing new- good old funky Prince tracks.[/quote]
+1000 Chard..those albums are class....Strollin from D and P is a master piece...Live for Love is a modern funk masterclass..the female singer from Diamonds and Pearls is soooo good...

i dont care if maybe Prince doesnt hit it sometimes with his albums..i liked Planet Earth...some people expect so much of the same from the guy...lets not forget hes a very experimental artist..sometimes he misses, sometimes he doesnt...before long he will catch his stride and blow everyone away...

forgot this amazing track......the coolest man on the planet..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4hf7sfEwr0&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4hf7sfEwr0...feature=related[/url]

to be honest if he came out with rubbish for the rest of his life i would still love him for this stuff all the same...IMHO hes James Brown but way more advanced in many ways.....hes the last of the superstar musicians!!!!!!!

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='molan' post='890222' date='Jul 9 2010, 10:44 AM'][b]I really liked Planet Earth![/b]

Mind you I am a bit of a Prince freak, lol. I've had a real Prince-fest the past few days & have been playing loads of his stuff - had no idea there was a new album out though :)

I always thought he was the artist most appropriate for CD's when I first started buying them. About half of each album is utter tripe but buried away there's always a few gems. With a CD he was the first person I discovered the 'skip' button.

However he caught me out with early versions of LoveSexy - it only has one track so you can't just go straight to Anastesia which was the last track on side one of the LP.[/quote]
So did I. There are some fabulous tunes on there. He's always been an awe inspiring songwriter, artist and musician in my book. Live, he's astonishing.

[quote name='silddx' post='890999' date='Jul 10 2010, 01:20 AM']So did I. There are some fabulous tunes on there. He's always been an awe inspiring songwriter, artist and musician in my book. Live, he's astonishing.[/quote]
Siddx have you seen him?? if so where? Before i die i will see that man live!

apparently his mentor is Larry Graham...very religious the man is..him and Larry

[quote name='bubinga5' post='891005' date='Jul 10 2010, 12:45 PM']Siddx have you seen him?? if so where? Before i die i will see that man live!

apparently his mentor is Larry Graham...very religious the man is..him and Larry[/quote]

interesting that a lot of negative press was always laced with barbs around his new found religiosity.

does anyone else here like The Rainbow Children? what about News?

foals top 5 Prince albums :)

1. Sign o' the times
2. Lovesexy
3. the Rainbow Children
4. Parade
5. Come

[quote name='foal30' post='891016' date='Jul 10 2010, 02:22 AM']interesting that a lot of negative press was always laced with barbs around his new found religiosity.

does anyone else here like The Rainbow Children? what about News?

foals top 5 Prince albums :)

1. Sign o' the times
2. Lovesexy
3. the Rainbow Children
4. Parade
5. Come[/quote]

Yes there was, very sad..

you have good taste sir! they are all in my top 5..maybe not in that order.. :rolleyes:

The trend of giving away free CDs (and DVDs) with newspapers must surely help to devalue music (and films) in the mind of the general public. It doesn't really matter what financial arragements have been made between the record company and the newspaper, the end result is a free CD to the general public, so the impression is that music is not worth much if they can give it away for nothing. On that basis, people might as well download music for nothing as well.

I'm in no way condoning copyright theft, but there are some mixed and confusing messages being sent out by the music industry. Probably another example of how they don't really know how to deal with the digital world.