Why become a member? ×

Prince's New CD

Pete Academy

[quote name='bubinga5' post='891005' date='Jul 10 2010, 01:45 AM']Siddx have you seen him?? if so where? Before i die i will see that man live!

apparently his mentor is Larry Graham...very religious the man is..him and Larry[/quote]
Wembley Arena, 1996.

One or two people have said that the O2 gigs weren't great sound wise, but where me and Mrs Rayman sat it sounded fantastic, but we were quite close I guess. He was an outstanding showman, and funny too, which surprised me, I thought he's be a bit moody and standoffish but he wasn't at all, he seemed to enjoy every minute of the show.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='891059' date='Jul 10 2010, 08:57 AM']The trend of giving away free CDs (and DVDs) with newspapers must surely help to devalue music (and films) in the mind of the general public. It doesn't really matter what financial arragements have been made between the record company and the newspaper, the end result is a free CD to the general public, so the impression is that music is not worth much if they can give it away for nothing. On that basis, people might as well download music for nothing as well.

I'm in no way condoning copyright theft, but there are some mixed and confusing messages being sent out by the music industry. Probably another example of how they don't really know how to deal with the digital world.[/quote]
Music is worth what you think it is...i get no impression from a free CD..i think for myself and listen to the music for what it is, not because its free...

Prince is a colossus. Total genius. But I went from loving him to feeling indifferent when he embraced hiphop and ultraslick R&B around Batman but when he's great, he's amazing. The turning point for me was around the time Wendy and Lisa split and he formed the NPG (although Sign of the times is Godlike and Lovesexy has its moments)

Cairobill's Top Five Prince

1. Parade
2. Signothetimes
3. Dirty mind
4. Around the World in a Day
5. Black Album

I'm not particularly interested in picking up this free album. I did it last time and it was instant coffee coaster time. A shame...

Is this mirror one as duff?

Edited by Cairobill

[quote name='Cairobill' post='891122' date='Jul 10 2010, 10:03 AM']Prince is a colossus. Total genius. But I went from loving him to feeling indifferent when he embraced hiphop and ultraslick R&B around Batman but when he's great, he's amazing. The turning point for me was around the time Wendy and Lisa split and he formed the NPG (although Sign of the times is Godlike and Lovesexy has its moments)

Cairobill's Top Five Prince

1. Parade
2. Signothetimes
3. Dirty mind
4. Around the World in a Day
5. Black Album

I'm not particularly interested in picking up this free album. I did it last time and it was instant coffee coaster time. A shame...

Is this mirror one as duff?[/quote]

It's not terrible, just way below his usual standards. I really think he should give up releasing new stuff.

Back to the new album, just got it and am loading it into iTunes manually. Would appear there is a hidden track. I don't know what to call it as it isn't listed on the CD sleeve of course! He mentions 'Purple Yoda' so I might just call it that!

Edited by KevB

[quote name='bubinga5' post='891109' date='Jul 10 2010, 09:53 AM']Music is worth what you think it is...i get no impression from a free CD..i think for myself and listen to the music for what it is, not because its free...[/quote]
I wasn't suggesting that the sale price of music correlates to its perceived quality. That's clearly a subjective judgement.

I was referring to the mixed messages from the music industry that copying music is theft while at the same time giving away CDs for free.

It's like trying to stop people 'stealing' free newspapers from the corner shop.

[quote name='KevB' post='891128' date='Jul 10 2010, 10:13 AM']Back to the new album, just got it and am loading it into iTunes manually. Would appear there is a hidden track. I don't know what to call it as it isn't listed on the CD sleeve of course! He mentions 'Purple Yoda' so I might just call it that![/quote]
Apparently it's called 'Laydown'.
That's what Media Player said anyway.

No love for [b]Purple rain[/b]? For me that album gets 10 out of 10 .... the songs ... the production ... the big guitar presence .... totally excellent.

I have a bunch of Prince albums on vinyl that I haven't played for about 20 years, Purple Rain is the only one I bothered to pick up on CD to still listen to.

I love Purple Rain, it screams "80s" but that's not a problem for me. I love the guitar sounds, especially on the title track and Let's Go Crazy -- right on the very edge of uncontrollable feedback.
Dirty Mind is a belting album too.

I'm over in Spain so haven't been able to get the new album.

I'll look out for a copy when I get back :)

I've seen him a few times, Lyceum )I think) very early in his career, Wembley a couple of times and on the O2 21 nights series.

Never a bad gig. I remember one of the Wenbley nights was the best live sound I've ever heard in a big v enue.

Looking forward to the new album I must admit. Pretty sure I'll find some stuff on it I like :rolleyes:

PS BB5 - nice new avatar, Bobby W is my all time sould man hero! Seen him a few times, in some very small venues too :lol:

I've only got as far as track 3- just doing the very short journey to work and back.
Not blown away initially but found myself recognising hooks by the end of each number- the mark of an excellent songsmith.
I'll persevere.
Still worth more than the price of the paper IMO.

The first track "Compassion" put me off, what a crap song, and the drum track sounds like it was done on a Casio Keyboard, shocking. However, by the time I'd got to "Act Of God" things were looking up, that sounded a bit more like the Prince of old. So, we'll see if it's a grower.

[quote name='Rayman' post='892500' date='Jul 12 2010, 08:40 AM']The first track "Compassion" put me off, what a crap song, and the drum track sounds like it was done on a Casio Keyboard, shocking. However, by the time I'd got to "Act Of God" things were looking up, that sounded a bit more like the Prince of old. So, we'll see if it's a grower.[/quote]

Exactly what me and my staffmates said.

Went to see his show this weekend together with 35.000 other people...
Bit disappointed, the sound wasn't too great, bass hardly audible and I wasn't blown away like I had expected.
I missed magic and sweat and sex. Still amazed by his guitar-playing which is really excellent.
Bandmembers weren't spectacular too, good musicians but not really as special as I thought they would be.
I left during the encores...I like P-funk but when Prince plays I want it to be really special and it wasn't.

I gave the album a listen last night... it seems he's gone all nostalgic/pastiche and brought back the drum machines and synths he was using in the 80s.

Is he... allowed to do that? :)

Standout track for me was Sticky Like Glue. I wasn't holding out on a great (or even half-decent) album, so I was actually pleasantly surprised by some of it.

He still manages to be inhumanly brilliant at times though. His last decent album was Musicology in my opinion - some great jams on that. Then again, some of them are just jams, and less like the massive pop tunes he was churning out in the late 80s.

His comments on the internet being 'over' were just laughable too. But then again, he is a bit of a religious nutjob these days. Weird that someone as innovative as him would end up being a total luddite though.