Why become a member? ×

Focus

Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='880286' date='Jun 28 2010, 08:36 PM']One of the adverts during the World Cup coverage includes a Focus track, which I think is 'Hocus Pocus'.

How great is that? They must be minted now...and good luck to them. :)[/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
Focus are still touring!... if you get the chance to see them do so!...Great live band.

[quote name='MB1' post='880315' date='Jun 28 2010, 08:44 PM']Focus are still touring!... if you get the chance to see them do so!...Great live band.[/quote]

They're on the Prog Stage at the High Voltage festival in Victoria Park, Saturday July 24.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='880286' date='Jun 28 2010, 08:36 PM']One of the adverts during the World Cup coverage includes a Focus track, which I think is 'Hocus Pocus'.

How great is that? They must be minted now...and good luck to them. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Pete

The track was written by Van Leer-organ, flute and yodelling? and Akkerman-guitars. Sadly for Akkerman, he gave up his royalties to his wife when they got divorced!!

What a bummer. :)

They are still a great band and well worth seeing as already mentioned by some knowlageable chaps.

Jez

Total and utter genius - shouldn't work, but gloriously does. Bit like these, where drugs have plainly had a positive effect...:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvs8tdddn2o&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvs8tdddn2o...feature=related[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WANNqr-vcx0&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WANNqr-vcx0...feature=related[/url]

Focus were the first band that I ever saw live. They weren't very well known and played in 'Clouds' disco (it was the 70s) in Glasgow. I was spellbound by the gig and went on to see them several more times, but you know what they say; you never forget your first time!

Focus 3 was one of my favorite albums way back in 72/73, and still get a semi regular playing these days.

Jan Akkerman and Thejs Van Leer were top class composers and musicians - Moving Waves and Hamburger Concerto were also excellent albums.

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='880339' date='Jun 28 2010, 08:58 PM']Brilliant! Love this rendition of Sylvia/Hocus Pocus from 1972 on the Old Grey Whistle Test.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v7LzOeTkfM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v7LzOeTkfM[/url][/quote]

Great stuff! :)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='cetera' post='881053' date='Jun 29 2010, 03:33 PM']Great band! Looking forward to seeing them at the High Voltage Festival in a few weeks time! :)[/quote]
Cool, i'm working on that.
I'm on the Metal hammer stage (not playing..)...
It's nice to be on a festival where i'm not up to my knees in mud for a change - however the locals that keep breaking into the site, raiding the busses and nicking or trashing everything in sight aren't that nice.

[quote name='bluesparky' post='903842' date='Jul 24 2010, 10:46 AM']Cool, i'm working on that.
I'm on the Metal hammer stage (not playing..)...
It's nice to be on a festival where i'm not up to my knees in mud for a change - however the locals that keep breaking into the site, raiding the busses and nicking or trashing everything in sight aren't that nice.[/quote]

Balls, I missed you again! :rolleyes:

I was back & forth to the backstage there all weekend. Watched Down from sidestage too.... NICE Spectors Rex had! :)

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='880332' date='Jun 28 2010, 08:52 PM']The track was written by Van Leer-organ, flute and yodelling? and Akkerman-guitars. Sadly for Akkerman, he gave up his royalties to his wife when they got divorced!![/quote]

Jan Akkerman left Focus a long time ago, I believe it's just Thijs van leer + A N Others these days. Jan Akkerman does an annual solo tour, he's played The Robin in Bilston (EXC venue! I go there a lot!) and The Ferry in Glasgow a few times.

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='906140' date='Jul 26 2010, 06:12 PM']Jan Akkerman left Focus a long time ago, I believe it's just Thijs van leer + A N Others these days. Jan Akkerman does an annual solo tour, he's played The Robin in Bilston (EXC venue! I go there a lot!) and The Ferry in Glasgow a few times.[/quote]

Hey there Big Stu!!

Akkerman left in 76 on the eve of a British tour as he couldn`t get along with Van Leer. He was replaced by a guy called Phillip Catrine (pretty sure that was his name) who was quite a decent player. The people who bought tickets for the tour were offered their money back when Akkerman left.

I went and seen Akkerman at the Ferry about 2002 and a guitarist friend who was with me was so impressed by his playing that he was nearly suicidal that he would never be that good. Strange man.... :wacko:

Focus are still kicking about and are still a good band .

Jez

I was once with a band in a sort of tv show where Jan Akkerman was honoured.. He passed me by backstage and he had his real expensive Gibson and it hung on his back. At the moment he passed me the strap broke and the Gibson smashed on to the floor.
I didn't even dare to look to see the damage...From what I had heard when it hit the ground I don't think much was left of it.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='906198' date='Jul 26 2010, 07:00 PM']Hey there Big Stu!!

Akkerman left in 76 on the eve of a British tour as he couldn`t get along with Van Leer. He was replaced by a guy called Phillip Catrine (pretty sure that was his name) who was quite a decent player. The people who bought tickets for the tour were offered their money back when Akkerman left.

I went and seen Akkerman at the Ferry about 2002 and a guitarist friend who was with me was so impressed by his playing that he was nearly suicidal that he would never be that good. Strange man.... :wacko:

Focus are still kicking about and are still a good band .

Jez[/quote]

Hey Jez!
Yeah, the Ferry is/was a cracking venue. I used to go there a bit when I lived in Edinburgh. Saw Jan A there once, can't remember the year. He had a black Les Paul, which IIRC had a Gretsch pup in it, presumably not the one Wombatboter saw/heard trashed.
I know someone who booked Focus in Europe a couple of years ago & met Thijs Van Leer, apparently he's a lot bigger (larger) now & doesn't like talk of Jan A.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='906198' date='Jul 26 2010, 07:00 PM']Akkerman left in 76 on the eve of a British tour as he couldn`t get along with Van Leer. He was replaced by a guy called Phillip Catrine (pretty sure that was his name) who was quite a decent player. The people who bought tickets for the tour were offered their money back when Akkerman left.[/quote]
AIUI, Akkerman had a smack habit and that was part of what led to the split and being replaced by Philip Catherine. Hamburger Concerto was the last good Van Leer/Akkerman album, Mother Focus rather lost its way.