Why become a member? ×

Can We Have a Glasto Bass Spotters Thread?

merello

yeah, I heard Bono had to cancel cos he damaged his ego. No chance they would've put something that size back together in time!

while were in this area......what is so great about Muse and Chris too-many-basses Wotsit?

To my ears, Muse are actually really uninteresting and not remotely doing anything new or different. New material sounds like sub-U2 stadium rock. I thought we got done with all that in the 80s. Early old material seems OK to me; but nothing outstanding.

I just don't get it with Muse and I have tried. Please help me understand.

Ta and no offence to all you Muse fans - respect and all that.

[quote name='merello' post='878129' date='Jun 26 2010, 01:35 PM']Finally - was Simenon playing his legendary P-bass?[/quote]

Yes - he certainly was. The one with the RW neck & black hand-painted headstock that he was playing in the last days of The Clash.

Jackson Browne's bass player had a very nice old PBass - early 60's I think.

[quote name='99ster' post='878601' date='Jun 27 2010, 08:13 AM']Yes - he certainly was. The one with the RW neck & black hand-painted headstock that he was playing in the last days of The Clash.

Jackson Browne's bass player had a very nice old PBass - early 60's I think.[/quote]

the guy in The Cribs also had a vintagey looked s/b PBass - altho no great definition, guitars too loud - or just the mix sounding crap on the tv?

Edited by Jigster

I dont think the Chris wotsits Status sounded very good? Very tinny slap sound more of a hi-fi sounding bass rather than a full rock sound. I have done three piece own material stuff for years and feel you need a bigger fuller sound to fill it out and maybe so did he as he kept going back to his jazz style bass, Pedulla is it? Sounded much better to me.I used to have the exact same model Bass Collection SB320 in trans green that he used for the first album ,I had mine first so really he copied me!lol
I agree to some extent with bassnut here, I try to like them and enjoy some of there earlier stuff but would not bother going to see them live or buy any of there albums.But I do give them some credit for having a go at mixing it up a bit and trying to come up with some epic tunes.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='878640' date='Jun 27 2010, 09:22 AM']I dont think the Chris wotsits Status sounded very good? Very tinny slap sound more of a hi-fi sounding bass rather than a full rock sound. I have done three piece own material stuff for years and feel you need a bigger fuller sound to fill it out and maybe so did he as he kept going back to his jazz style bass, Pedulla is it? Sounded much better to me.I used to have the exact same model Bass Collection SB320 in trans green that he used for the first album ,I had mine first so really he copied me!lol
I agree to some extent with bassnut here, I try to like them and enjoy some of there earlier stuff but would not bother going to see them live or buy any of there albums.But I do give them some credit for having a go at mixing it up a bit and trying to come up with some epic tunes.[/quote]

I didn't much like his bass sound with any of the basses, it just seemed to get lost in the mix... and that slap sound was horrific in my opinion!

An all graphite Status S2 Classic..... gotta get one!

I will reserve judgment on the overall sound because from what I have heard all the bands have had a fairly bad sound,But that slap sound on the Status was there for all to hear and not in the mix at all so Im guessing thats what the bass sounds like,Poor IMO. Not feeling the Status for him at all so far.

he needs to go back to his Pedulla, by far the best tone he has had. Yeah that slap tone was horrible, but it wasn't clean, he was using some sort of effect badly. Wouldn't blame the bass too much.

[quote name='Jigster' post='878638' date='Jun 27 2010, 09:18 AM']the guy in The Cribs also had a vintagey looked s/b PBass - altho no great definition, guitars too loud - or just the mix sounding crap on the tv?[/quote]

I saw the highlights for The Cribs and he seemed to have a nice vintage P bass....mmmm.

Scissor Sisters bass player was using an Aguilar rig...nice to see something that isn't Ampeg.

Dead Weathers bass was awesome. I'm guessing they are super expensive?!

The Status sound definitely doesn't suit Muse; way too hifi!

[quote name='99ster' post='878601' date='Jun 27 2010, 08:13 AM']Yes - he certainly was. The one with the RW neck & black hand-painted headstock that he was playing in the last days of The Clash.

[b]Jackson Browne's bass player had a very nice old PBass - early 60's I think.
[/b][/quote]
Bob Glaub?

I briefly noticed Shakira's bassist switched between 4 & 5 strings....however i didn't notice what basses they were as i was totally transfixed with her hips & bootie :)

Edited by Rasta

[quote name='merello' post='879312' date='Jun 27 2010, 10:31 PM']Nathan Watts - Allevo Copollo?[/quote]

Is it an F bass or whatever they are called?

I saw the sillouette of a Bongo 5 headstock when the camera went behind him...I think.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='merello' post='878960' date='Jun 27 2010, 04:57 PM']Bob Glaub?[/quote]
I watched Jackson Brown last night, very good, but why did his bass player bother changing bass from a nice old P bass to a Lakland P with a soapbar....they sounded very much the same on the telly! :)

[quote name='MOSCOWBASS' post='879515' date='Jun 28 2010, 08:46 AM']I watched Jackson Brown last night, very good, but why did his bass player bother changing bass from a nice old P bass to a Lakland P with a soapbar....they sounded very much the same on the telly! :)[/quote]
Sponsored?

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='879354' date='Jun 27 2010, 11:24 PM'][b]Stevie Wonder's bass player with a Sadowsky 5iver highly figured maple top 2 humbuckers some kind of cherry burst colour[/b]

[/quote]

Hey dude, pretty sure it wasn't a Sadowsky, I think it was a Bossa UJB >>
[url="http://bossa-usa.com/series.shtml#ujb"]http://bossa-usa.com/series.shtml#ujb[/url]

Nathan is listed as an endorsee too...

Some mighty fine playing by Mr Watts, however I found all that "Little Stevie" a little creepy, or did I just imagine that?...

Cheers,
Eude

Just going back to Chris' sound for a second. I would doubt that the bass was ever the 'true' sound as he runs it through a lot of rackmounted and floorboard pedals. There's likely some heavy EQing going on as well and from what i've seen of the other main stage performances the sound quality this year has been horribly sub-par and really poor. FWIW I havent watched the muse set yet (cue iplayer tonight) but having seen them a few times before I cant think of a single song where the bass he's been playing has sounded completely 'pure', there's always something in there - normally however its great sounding so its likely that the poor sound is a combination of factors - live mix, tv speakers, etc. Be interesting to see tonight.