Why become a member? ×

Shuker basses

Bass Culture

I've been rather taken with the Shuker website recently and have been wistfully compiling a spec in my mind for an order - horn bass, ash body with a high gloss amber finish and black grain enhancement, musicman type pickup with a John East filter-based preamp, 33" scale and 38.5mm nut width - but as I'm unlikely to try one in advance I wonder if anyone can comment on the characteristics of the neck, especially anyone who has one with the 38.5mm nut width? I've found over the years that the neck profile and feel is the most critical aspect of my response to a bass and the days have long sinced passed when I'd take a speculative punt on something based on specifications alone, so I'd really appreciate some feedback from you Shuker users out there with regard to 'real world' experience.

Thanks,

Mark

If it helps, I had a custom-built bass from Jon Shuker. Never visited the guy and had no chance to play the bass before it was finished.
I told Jon the type of neck I liked, and when it arrived it was still not quite right, very close though. After a few more calls and emails, I sent it back to him and he sanded & refinished the neck for me free of charge as he wanted me to have bass that I was happy with. It's still my #1 bass !

I like my Shuker a lot, its every bit as good as a Fodera but, like many, I had a long wait. Jon works to his own deadlines for custom work so if you want something special then you'll need to be patient.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='861847' date='Jun 9 2010, 10:17 AM']I like my Shuker a lot, its every bit as good as a Fodera but, like many, I had a long wait. Jon works to his own deadlines for custom work so if you want something special then you'll need to be patient.[/quote]

Noted - the wait's not a problem as I'm quite happily ensconsed in a meaningful relationship with my Roscoe LG3000 at the moment anyway. I'm not in a hurry to 'kick her into touch' and it would proably give me the time to save the money to finance the new bass too. As a matter of interest, how long might a 'long wait' be? I've had to wait a year for a previous bass I ordered from a different luthier before.

Cheers
:)

My bass is a pretty standard jazz spec, but is still taking a longish time, already been a few more months then quoted, and he doesn't really reply to e-mails either.

[quote name='Bass Culture' post='861877' date='Jun 9 2010, 10:45 AM']Noted - the wait's not a problem as I'm quite happily ensconsed in a meaningful relationship with my Roscoe LG3000 at the moment anyway. I'm not in a hurry to 'kick her into touch' and it would proably give me the time to save the money to finance the new bass too. As a matter of interest, how long might a 'long wait' be? I've had to wait a year for a previous bass I ordered from a different luthier before.

Cheers
:)[/quote]
If its a simple build (eg jazz bass) then maybe up to 8 months. If its something more complicated (like mine was) then up to 18 months and longer depending on how much special stuff needs to be ordered, planned or made. His necks are extremely stable and very solid.

I'll echo what has been said here already in that Jon has an incredible experience and eye for neck shapes. After a discussion and consultations for my first Shuker, I was 100% confident that I could leave him to build my headless Shuker, pretty much without seeing it at all. Honestly! I knew the neck was going to be exactly what I wanted, because I knew he understood what I wanted.

My headless turned out even better than expected and is my absolute favourite and best bass I have ever played. Not just being biased - but I have played many many very expensive basses - and this one, being bespoke just is exactly what I wanted. no niggles, no nothing.

With that in mind, it puts the 'time to build' in to perspective. You only have to look at the waiting list for other 'top of the range' custom builders to know that you are paying less and waiting less time for something just as good - and I'm sorry to say about other builders - The Shuker is better made too in comparison.

{I am adding the disclaimer 'IMHO' to this post.}

Appreciate the comments. Given the positive response I've actually summoned the courage to drop him a quick e-mail asking whether one of the stcck basses he's got listed on his website can be adapted from the specification shown. If it can that might well be the answer for me - with the added benefit that it'll will already be a few weeks into the build too, of course.

[quote name='Toasted' post='861989' date='Jun 9 2010, 12:27 PM']For example, specifically - what basses are less well made than Shukers?[/quote]

It's not fair to belittle other luthiers specifically. However, whilst researching I'd asked for advice from owners of basses from certain luthiers and had been showed examples that put me off. I'm not saying that it would be a problem for everyone but IMHO - and you know I am fussy - if I am paying premium prices, I want the very best, down to fine detail.

I'm just saying that for the price I personally think Jon Shuker is seriously under rated in comparison to the other 'names' - and I found that my expectations of others let me down.

YMMV blah blah blah

[quote name='dood' post='862016' date='Jun 9 2010, 12:50 PM']I'm just saying that for the price I personally think Jon Shuker is seriously under rated in comparison to the other 'names' - and I found that my expectations of others let me down.[/quote]

Jon's charges do seem very reasonable in comparison to other builders from what I have seen but this then unfortunately seems to mean lower resale value also in most cases. Although hopefully if you are having the bass designed to your spec you will keep it and this will not be an issue.

Steve

[quote name='Bass Culture' post='861877' date='Jun 9 2010, 10:45 AM']Noted - the wait's not a problem as I'm quite happily ensconsed in a meaningful relationship with my Roscoe LG3000 at the moment anyway. I'm not in a hurry to 'kick her into touch' and it would proably give me the time to save the money to finance the new bass too.[/quote]

For what it's worth,my Roscoe LG3500 has taken a backseat to my Shuker singlecut. They are both great instruments,but I find
the Shuker to be slightly more comfortable to play.

I notice that you're in Chester. I'm playing at Alexanders on the 25th June,and will probably have my Shuker with me if you
fancy a look.

I've had mine for 2 years now and still love it. Well worth the wait, I played sh*tloads of basses in shops and my mates owned over 20 and I still think it blows most of them out the water, although this is always subjective. The only other bass which I thought I preferred the tone of - was another Shuker!

Similar to Largo, I took mine back for a bit of fine-tuning on the neck - sanded and refinished, now it's perfect.

[quote name='Doddy' post='862025' date='Jun 9 2010, 01:02 PM']For what it's worth,my Roscoe LG3500 has taken a backseat to my Shuker singlecut. They are both great instruments,but I find
the Shuker to be slightly more comfortable to play.

I notice that you're in Chester. I'm playing at Alexanders on the 25th June,and will probably have my Shuker with me if you
fancy a look.[/quote]

Doddy,

I see that's a Friday. And, more to the point, pay day! I'd love to pop along and catch you guys. What's the band?

Mark

EDIT: Gotcha - The Funky Doctors?

Edited by Bass Culture

[quote name='Bass Culture' post='862083' date='Jun 9 2010, 01:58 PM']Doddy,

I see that's a Friday. And, more to the point, pay day! I'd love to pop along and catch you guys. What's the band?

Mark

EDIT: Gotcha - The Funky Doctors?[/quote]

That's the one.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='861847' date='Jun 9 2010, 10:17 AM']I like my Shuker a lot, its every bit as good as a Fodera but, like many, I had a long wait. Jon works to his own deadlines for custom work so if you want something special then you'll need to be patient.[/quote]

this.

I probably hold the record at 2 years? :rolleyes:

TBF to Jon my bass has more than it's fair share of customisation and there was a lot of stuff he had never done before. Totally worth it though, I loves it :)

And the neck? I told Jon what I like and the scale I wanted and he nailed it (so to speak).

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='861841' date='Jun 9 2010, 10:09 AM']If you have a neck you like take it to Jon.

When i had mine made i was in love with the neck on my MTD Kingston, so i showed him that and he made it spot on![/quote]
Likewise, only in my case it was the neck from my Yamaha RBX765A which was the most comfortable 5-string neck I'd ever played. I gave the Yam neck to Jon to copy, and mentioned in passing that I was thinking of defretting it. So when I got it back, he'd defretted it for me :)
Yes there's a bit of a wait involved, but you'd wait a lot longer for a Wal and a hell of a lot longer for a Fodera. I can't/won't comment on the standard of Jon's work when compared to other small volume luthiers, as my personal experience of their products is limited and would therefore be unfair. All I will say is that his work is exemplary and that I am cockahoop with my bass. The only thing I am likely to change in the future is the pickups (from EMG to Delano, probably).