Why become a member? ×

Mick Karn

Col

Heard the news yesterday and actually felt quite devastated...My thoughts went to him a lot more than I thought yesterday night.
My non-bass playing friends don't understand the incredible loss but for me it's really losing a bass hero and someone who had such a huge influence on my playing.
No one ever played like Karn...such a unique and original voice...even those weird slides sounded natural when they came out of his hands.
A small comfort to know that someone like him might be no longer amongst us but that for the rest of my life his legacy will pop up everytime I pick up the fretless and a small part of his style shows up in one of my lines (not half as good as he could but sometimes I'm already pleased with that)

Yes... was such an inspiration to me. I was fed up with playing and was really down with bass generally, then a friend gave me a copy of his album 'Liquid Glass' with japanese bleep miester Yoshihiro Hanno...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiE0GkVTWKo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiE0GkVTWKo[/url]

I decided there and then to defret my 62 Jazz and I haven't looked back. He really turned me around.

I owe him...

[quote name='wombatboter' post='1078208' date='Jan 5 2011, 07:59 AM']Heard the news yesterday and actually felt quite devastated...My thoughts went to him a lot more than I thought yesterday night.
My non-bass playing friends don't understand the incredible loss but for me it's really losing a bass hero and someone who had such a huge influence on my playing.
No one ever played like Karn...such a unique and original voice...even those weird slides sounded natural when they came out of his hands.
A small comfort to know that someone like him might be no longer amongst us but that for the rest of my life his legacy will pop up everytime I pick up the fretless and a small part of his style shows up in one of my lines (not half as good as he could but sometimes I'm already pleased with that)[/quote]

+1000. Such sad news.

The reason i have been playing sax since i was 17 and gave up bass then was due to me hearing Mick Karn on my Japan albums all those years ago.Amazing bass player but when i heard him with the sax on there stuff i soon got 1.Very sad loss to the music world,a true 1 off stellar player,RIP ,going to listen to some Japan now.

MB1. :)
Rest In Peace
Very Sad News! Ive always been impressed with his unique style and phrasing on fretless bass, think he was the first bassist i saw using a Wal Fretless and he definately made that bass swing !.

Edited by MB1

Cheers for that vid bh2, I'd forgotten he was in the Princes Trust House Band.
Great player with an individual style & voice, he will be sadly missed. RIP Mick.
Was listening to Ghosts only the other day, one of my all time favourite tracks.
Cheers,
Norm