Why become a member? ×

It's a Shuker, but not as we know it.

MacDaddy

[quote name='dood' post='97234' date='Dec 1 2007, 02:48 PM']mmm Good point! I guess that'll mean a 'long scale' string, of the 36" variety. I think there are a few companies around doing long scale. D'addario pro steels and Rotosound strings come in long scale varieties. I'd have to find out if Elites do too.. but I think they are actually a fairly long string anyway. If I remember I'll get a tape measure to them for ya! At least you don't have to worry about losing a bit with 'string through body' bridges.[/quote]

Don't Overwater do long long strings for their giant's basses?

[quote name='E_MaN' post='97348' date='Dec 1 2007, 07:13 PM']So you want a bass with everything pretty much? fair play, although if you don't keep this bass for the rest of your life I will laugh so hard....[/quote]
A shuker bass is not just for Christmas...

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='97366' date='Dec 1 2007, 07:42 PM']Newtone do strings to order as well. Could be useful.[/quote]

Of course! Doh.. can't believe I forgot to mention them.. as they have been very helpful in the past!

[quote name='E_MaN' post='97348' date='Dec 1 2007, 07:13 PM']So you want a bass with everything pretty much? fair play, although if you don't keep this bass for the rest of your life I will laugh so hard....[/quote]

well I'm not bothered about active EQ, or lots of tonal options. There's only gonna be 2 pots, one for volume, and one for the LED's.

Jon's looking at both options for the strings. He says its not a problem to get hold of standard and extended scale strings, its just the odd size double balls. He has a chap who makes them, and he's getting a price for a set for future reference.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='97757' date='Dec 2 2007, 07:53 PM']. He has a chap who makes them, and he's getting a price for a set for future reference.[/quote]

I think that is indeed NewTone.. The guy made my 7 string set for me when I picked up doodle

[quote name='OldGit' post='96867' date='Nov 30 2007, 06:18 PM']"other bass builders are available"
[url="http://www.bunnybass.com/e-zine/directories/builders.shtml"]List of Luthiers[/url][/quote]

MB1. :)

That people are Buying!..... or has this turned into Shuker Corner?

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='98635' date='Dec 4 2007, 10:07 AM']Are you in an 80's hair metal tribute band by the way? Haha.[/quote]
nope, I did it for real at the time :huh:

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='99752' date='Dec 5 2007, 05:55 PM']who says the pics have to be of the finished article? :huh:[/quote]
True, and as soon as I have pics of progress they will go up :)

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='99804' date='Dec 5 2007, 07:35 PM']nope, I did it for real at the time :huh:

True, and as soon as I have pics of progress they will go up :)[/quote]

Actually Jon has a Cunning Plan to try to take and send more pictures of the builds as they go ahead.
All very hush hush at the moment but hopefully lots of yummie pictures will emerge as your bass progresses

[quote name='MB1' post='99755' date='Dec 5 2007, 06:05 PM']MB1. :)

That people are Buying!..... or has this turned into Shuker Corner?[/quote]

lol, I'll try not to be biased.. I guess it's testament to the quality of Jon's work if he is gaining business through word of mouth and not really advertising himself.

[i]disclaimer: there are plenty of other luthiers producing great basses. Your mortgage maybe at risk if you do not keep up with payments. 8/10 cats said their owners preferred jazz. Medically proven in tests[/i]

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Again the thread has been quiet of late, but Jon hasn't been idle. Spoke to him today, he has all the hardwear, and is working on the fingerboard.
We discussed some of the features - how far the bend well goes will determine where the truss rod adjustment is made - placement of the monkey grip - body contouring, I'm going to Sheffield soon to be measured for the body! - thumb rest options on the ramp - Tuning BEAD.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

OK so was at Jon's today. (no camera otherwise would have taken updates shots of everyones)

I've decided against the Phenolic finger board, and am going with Ebony now. The phenolic just looked too synthetic for my pallet.
We discussed the body contours and measured up for where my arm rests over the top. Also decided the bottom horn is gonna be a wee bit longer than originally planned.
For the drop D, Jon has come up with a simple yet effective button in the neck, which when pressed activates a device to pull down on the string. I saw the proto-type and it works well.
We discussed the bend-well depth and string length over it.
I said to Jon there was a certain irony in the amount of time we spent on the design of the monkey grip, bearing it has nothing to do with the way the bass sounds or plays :huh:
Oh, and there were problems with the LED's. I want bright pink, and Jon was sent light red - exactly what we didn't want!

All in all, things are moving along nicely :) and his stock single cut 4 strings are lovely!