Why become a member? ×

Recommended Bass Dealers in London

Grand Puba

Dear all

I apologise in advance if I have posted this message in the wrong place.

First time poster and a novice in the world of the bass guitar. I have always wanted to play and now have found the time and budget. The Basschat membership has started me on the correct path.

A work collegue has agreed to assist me in navigating the ocean that is purchasing my first bass and the site membership have provided me a short list for starter basses. (The Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass, maybe The Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass but I will be trying others).

The one step that all members seem to agree on is that you [i]must try before you buy.[/i]

So I am looking for a dealer big enough to have a good selection of low end basses, but small enought to give me the personal service and time, I will need to get the package I will be satified with. The dealer should love and be knowledgable about all things bass.

So who is the best bass dealer in London, for a novice just starting out.

If you really are a novice, type "bass starter" into ebay. There are starter kits, a bass, a lead and an amp from £90. These instruments are ok to start with and they will give you a flavour of bass that won't break the bank. I'd start here and move quickly on the shops if you decide you want to take bass further.

[quote name='chris_b' post='93236' date='Nov 23 2007, 11:14 AM']If you really are a novice, type "bass starter" into ebay. There are starter kits, a bass, a lead and an amp from £90. These instruments are ok to start with and they will give you a flavour of bass that won't break the bank. I'd start here and move quickly on the shops if you decide you want to take bass further.[/quote]

+1 on that. "Try before you buy" makes perfect sense, but ONLY if you have at least some idea of what you're doing. Playing [i]Smoke On The Water[/i] 17 times on 17 different basses will do you very little good, and may result in your assassination by maddened shop staff.

Buy a cheap & cheerful Chinese import, get a bass player to give it a quick once-over to make sure that it hasn't got any issues (impossibly high action, intonation problems, dodgy electrics, whatever) and then use it as an easy vehicle to get into bass.

[quote name='Grand Puba' post='93230' date='Nov 23 2007, 11:01 AM']So who is the best bass dealer in London, for a novice just starting out.[/quote]

Well, based on a trip down Denmark St last Saturday I can't honestly recommend any of the shops there except Hanks, and they don't sell basses. Though we didn't manage to get to Wunjos, so I can't comment on them. Macaris, a bit further down Charing Cross Rd is still a proper music shop but I don't know what stock they carry.

God knows what happened to the Bass Cellar since Simone left, but they have a distinctly odd idea of customer service. There was a notice on the wall which said something like 'Want a bass, but got no money? Well don't waste our time!' I think that's appalling.

The chances are that you will find a better deal in the second hand pages on this forum. It might still be worth going down to a couple of dealers to see what's available, just leave your cheque book at home. The place with the biggest stock of basses in your range is probably the Bass Centre in Brune St, round the back of Liverpool St Station. Customer service is extremely variable but can be very good. The Bass Gallery is the dealer of choice for many basschatters, but they don't carry a lot of low-end stock.

[quote name='pete.young' post='93351' date='Nov 23 2007, 03:00 PM']Well, based on a trip down Denmark St last Saturday I can't honestly recommend any of the shops there except Hanks, and they don't sell basses. Though we didn't manage to get to Wunjos, so I can't comment on them. Macaris, a bit further down Charing Cross Rd is still a proper music shop but I don't know what stock they carry.

God knows what happened to the Bass Cellar since Simone left, but they have a distinctly odd idea of customer service. There was a notice on the wall which said something like 'Want a bass, but got no money? Well don't waste our time!' I think that's appalling.

The chances are that you will find a better deal in the second hand pages on this forum. It might still be worth going down to a couple of dealers to see what's available, just leave your cheque book at home. The place with the biggest stock of basses in your range is probably the Bass Centre in Brune St, round the back of Liverpool St Station. Customer service is extremely variable but can be very good. The Bass Gallery is the dealer of choice for many basschatters, but they don't carry a lot of low-end stock.[/quote]
Thanks Pete

Welcome to the forum!

I've got to disagree with those who suggest not bothering to try out a cheaper bass first. It's usually the lower end stuff that has the biggest issues with quality control. Although I've not heard that this is particularly a problem with VM Squiers, why not go for the best one available? If you got a friend to guide you, not having played much yourself shouldn't be any obstacle.

Wunjo's is the only shop in Denmark St worth bothering with in my experience, although their bass stock is small. Sound Control beneath Virgin Megastore could be worth a visit at a quiet time of day, if only for the amount of stock they carry.

[quote name='Musky' post='93365' date='Nov 23 2007, 03:35 PM']Sound Control beneath Virgin Megastore could be worth a visit at a quiet time of day, if only for the amount of stock they carry.[/quote]
+1. There's loads of stock there and you can find what style of bass suits you best. Tell them you're a beginner and let them guide you. Don't bother with the Bass Centre or Denmark Street, they'll just patronise you. Good luck.

[quote name='Grand Puba' post='93230' date='Nov 23 2007, 11:01 AM']So who is the best bass dealer in London, for a novice just starting out.[/quote]
Hey GP, if you happen to be popping into Sound Control on a weekday lunchtime or after work, drop me a PM. I work just down the road in High Holborn and its not too much hassle to help out.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='93415' date='Nov 23 2007, 05:01 PM']Hey GP, if you happen to be popping into Sound Control on a weekday lunchtime or after work, drop me a PM. I work just down the road in High Holborn and its not too much hassle to help out.[/quote]

What an offer. I'd take him up on that, if I were you.

[quote name='Musky' post='93365' date='Nov 23 2007, 03:35 PM']Welcome to the forum!

I've got to disagree with those who suggest not bothering to try out a cheaper bass first. It's usually the lower end stuff that has the biggest issues with quality control. Although I've not heard that this is particularly a problem with VM Squiers, why not go for the best one available? If you got a friend to guide you, not having played much yourself shouldn't be any obstacle.

Wunjo's is the only shop in Denmark St worth bothering with in my experience, although their bass stock is small. Sound Control beneath Virgin Megastore could be worth a visit at a quiet time of day, if only for the amount of stock they carry.[/quote]

+1. In your budget, you can actually try out some very decent basses by the likes of Yamaha, Ibanez, Squier, Epiphone, Vintage etc. Which you like will depend very much on what sounds and feels right to you. Definately try first. And buy what feels right to you, not what has the best logo on the headstock.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='93415' date='Nov 23 2007, 05:01 PM']Hey GP, if you happen to be popping into Sound Control on a weekday lunchtime or after work, drop me a PM. I work just down the road in High Holborn and its not too much hassle to help out.[/quote]
An offer you cant refuse. Say yes or you will wake up with a horse head in your bed.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='93588' date='Nov 24 2007, 12:00 AM']An offer you cant refuse. Say yes or you will wake up with a horse head in your bed.[/quote]
Horses head?! Darling, that is SO retro.

We like to do it with a little more style these days - say a blue budgie on a black napkin and a sprig of mint? And a rentacrowd with backwards haircuts and skinny jeans to applaud WILDLY and say we all look gorgeous? We are SO worth it, let me call my people now and we'll set it up for 3am next Tuesday, yah? :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='93590' date='Nov 24 2007, 12:19 AM']Horses head?! Darling, that is SO retro.

We like to do it with a little more style these days - say a blue budgie on a black napkin and a sprig of mint? And a rentacrowd with backwards haircuts and skinny jeans to applaud WILDLY and say we all look gorgeous? We are SO worth it, let me call my people now and we'll set it up for 3am next Tuesday, yah? :)[/quote]

Just a final note to say thanks to all the people who replied to the message.

CrazyKiwi - Thanks for the offer. I might take you up on it if my work collegue is to busy to help. I have decided to wait until January to purchase from Sound Control. See if there are any discounts to be had.

Thanks Again

Welcome to the forum! Hooray, a new bass player!

I agree with most of the chat here. Go try stuff out! Avoid Denmark Street! Sound control's got lots of stuff! You can get a bass that plays lovely for £250! Don't forget - it's important that your bass is nice and friendly to play and feels goo in your hands, but it's also important that it makes you feel like a rockstar when you hold it. It's no good getting a bass that sounds great and feels great but looks ugly in your eyes. When you see your bass on the stand, you should want to pick it up and play it.

What's right for you and what's right for the shop assistant and what has the best 'spec' aren't always the same thing. Play basses until you find one that feels good and right, even if you can't tell yourself why.

Welcome!

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='93257' date='Nov 23 2007, 12:01 PM']+1 on that. "Try before you buy" makes perfect sense, but ONLY if you have at least some idea of what you're doing. Playing [i]Smoke On The Water[/i] 17 times on 17 different basses will do you very little good, and may result in your assassination by maddened shop staff.
...[/quote]

Quite right. You must alternate with [i]Another One Bites the Dust[/i]
:)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering paying a visit to the Bass Gallery at some point soon and potentially spending big bucks for a new rig (head and cab). Those of you who have shopped there, are you likely to get a good deal when spending well over a grand there? Is there any chance of finding a price i'd be content with, if you know what i mean. Their prices don't look great, to be honest. It would be cheaper online, however i like the personal approach.

Any experience/thoughts appreciated.

[quote name='Tee' post='102606' date='Dec 11 2007, 11:26 AM']I'm considering paying a visit to the Bass Gallery at some point soon and potentially spending big bucks for a new rig (head and cab). Those of you who have shopped there, are you likely to get a good deal when spending well over a grand there? Is there any chance of finding a price i'd be content with, if you know what i mean. Their prices don't look great, to be honest. It would be cheaper online, however i like the personal approach.

Any experience/thoughts appreciated.[/quote]
It usually gets "personal " when you shop there ! LOL!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Grand Puba' post='93230' date='Nov 23 2007, 11:01 AM']Dear all

I apologise in advance if I have posted this message in the wrong place.

First time poster and a novice in the world of the bass guitar. I have always wanted to play and now have found the time and budget. The Basschat membership has started me on the correct path.

A work collegue has agreed to assist me in navigating the ocean that is purchasing my first bass and the site membership have provided me a short list for starter basses. (The Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass, maybe The Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass but I will be trying others).

The one step that all members seem to agree on is that you [i]must try before you buy.[/i]

So I am looking for a dealer big enough to have a good selection of low end basses, but small enought to give me the personal service and time, I will need to get the package I will be satified with. The dealer should love and be knowledgable about all things bass.

So who is the best bass dealer in London, for a novice just starting out.[/quote]Have you got a bass? Have you played with other musicians?

Welcome Fella!

Some of us have had good and bad service from all bass shops around London.

IMHO You have two choices with your budget:
1) Get a new cheap starter bass.
2) Get a used midrange bass.

Either way I'd recommend you to get your bass set-up (proffessionally)

Don't forget you'll need a strap, a tuner and a few other accessories, so save some of your budget for those.

It's worth you looking at the For Sale items on this forum. If you see any basses for sale on the 'Bay you could always post a link and ask other BCers for advice.

Wish you lots of luck and happiness playing bass (well done for not choosing a Gu!t@r). Bass players are much cooler people :)

^I'd reccomend a used midrange bass. Personally i don't care if someone else has used it before as long as they cleaned it up and everything so as far as i'm concerned it's more for your money. And yeah bass players are WAY cooler!

[quote name='pete.young' post='93351' date='Nov 23 2007, 03:00 PM']God knows what happened to the Bass Cellar since Simone left, but they have a distinctly odd idea of customer service. There was a notice on the wall which said something like 'Want a bass, but got no money? Well don't waste our time!' I think that's appalling.[/quote]

when i went in i tried out a £1000+ peavey cirrus even though i had no money and they were fine with it. Maybe they added this new policy in the last 6 months tho.

Edited by EdwardHimself