Why become a member? ×

So, if you were having a custom precision made, what would you do differently to Leo.....?

Beedster

I don't really know why anyone would object to an extra pickup - it's not like you HAVE to use it, but it'd make the bass more versatile. I suppose you might worry about the aesthetic, but then a custom build won't look identical to a real Fender anyway.
Now, jazz or MM? and if jazz, 60s or 70s position?

Matching headstock fo' sure.

Do people use Audere pre amps on P basses? That magical Z switch ought to be pretty cool, and I remember that thread where the OP was thinking of modding his vintage P with a pre to make it more versatile.

cannnons that shoot photon torpedoes at guitarists and ego maniac singers, 4 forward gears. Some kind of electric hat that takes your thoughts and turns them into notes. His and hers sinks with gold taps.

Personally I'd go for the Stu Hamm pickup setup so you have the best of both worlds, simple tone and volume controls with pickup switching, series/parallel etc but keep it passive.

candy apple red finish.

Maple fretless neck with binding - if you've ever seen the pictures in the Fender Bass Book with the 2 Custom Jazz basses you'll know what that looks like.

Something like this would be nice:

Except:
[list]
[*]20 frets, not 21
[*]Side-mounted jack
[*]No volume knob, wired straight to the jack. No messing about.
[/list]

In fact, I love that idea so much I might just have to save up and get myself one... :)

Edited by donut

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='841045' date='May 18 2010, 04:15 PM']Genuine question. What's wrong with the way it's on?[/quote]

Nothing in so much as there is really nothing wrong with the Precision as it is , but I think inserts and stainless / brass set screws with allen heads is a better / more durable way to do things from an engineering aspect. Screws are perfectly good ( and a hell of a lot easy and cheaper than set screws) after all most of the man made world is screwed together, I just think its 'cheap' on a £750.00 bass . There said it ! rant over :rolleyes:

Edit: plus lots of people complain of chewing up the heads and not knowing how tight to do up the screws if the neck ever comes off. Maybe they are a leftover from the early days when the basses generally needed shimming on setup ?

Edit 2: or so I've been told, me not being either a Fender fan or aficionado, so what do I know ? :)

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='donut' post='841439' date='May 18 2010, 09:50 PM']Something like this would be nice:

Except:
[list]
[*]20 frets, not 21
[*]Side-mounted jack
[*]No volume knob, wired straight to the jack. No messing about.
[/list]

In fact, I love that idea so much I might just have to save up and get myself one... :rolleyes:[/quote]

Just like Martin said... Get Status to make it - Like the one in this picture! :)

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='841536' date='May 18 2010, 11:03 PM']Just like Martin said... Get Status to make it - Like the one in this picture! :)[/quote]

Is that a Status?

Looks ace, maybe i am 47 years old after all! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, that looks beautiful, although i'm a total sucker for f-holes

[quote name='Prosebass' post='841517' date='May 18 2010, 10:52 PM']Nothing in so much as there is really nothing wrong with the Precision as it is , but I think inserts and stainless / brass set screws with allen heads is a better / more durable way to do things from an engineering aspect. Screws are perfectly good ( and a hell of a lot easy and cheaper than set screws) after all most of the man made world is screwed together, I just think its 'cheap' on a £750.00 bass . There said it ! rant over :rolleyes:

Edit: plus lots of people complain of chewing up the heads and not knowing how tight to do up the screws if the neck ever comes off. Maybe they are a leftover from the early days when the basses generally needed shimming on setup ?

Edit 2: or so I've been told, me not being either a Fender fan or aficionado, so what do I know ? :)[/quote]

Valid point. If I was offered a better engineered neck joint Fender correctness would happily be out the window.

My spare Precision that I assembled from parts has Ikea bed frame screws holding the neck on*. I forgot where I put the ones I'd bought specially. Held up very well for 7 years with the neck on and off a few times. I'm not hung up on parts being exactly like the vintage Fenders.

*I have lots of great ideas after pub lunches....

[quote name='Beedster' post='840577' date='May 18 2010, 10:05 AM']Somewhere in darkest north east England there is a very pretty piece of ash with my name on it. It's shaped, coincidentally enough, like a Precision bass. So, I have a blank Precision body, and although I'll be more than happy to let the builder in question do everything pretty much as Leo did 60 years ago, I'm considering a few minor deviations from the traditional. Anyone got any interesting ideas?

Chris[/quote]

How about a different name on the headstock

I'll go for trad, maple neck (with easy truss rod access under the scratchplate) maybe a seperate chrome plate for the electronics. But I'd also go for Alembic P style pickups and some very good preampery (ACG filter?). Or maybe a Darkstar. With flats.

I'd go for a through neck, active, stereo, broomstick neck, wide body, narrow string spacing, humbucking soapbars, ebony fingerboard and hand made.

[quote name='Wil' post='841571' date='May 18 2010, 10:42 PM']If Status put some decent looking pickguards on those vintage basses, or left them off entirely, then phwoar. As they are, no thanks.[/quote]
you can always ask for the pickguard to be left off.

essentially i'd do my Taitycaster but with a precision body.

ash body, natural finish. black pickguard. seymour duncan quarter pounder precision pickup, seymour duncan ceramic musicman pickup. 2 band EQ, with pickup selector, and (although i don't have this on my taitycaster, i wish i did) an active/passive switch.

maybe white or black finish, instead, both with black pickguard, both would have matching headstock.