Why become a member? ×

'Normal' Rehearsal schedules - EDIT: Oh what an update! Enjoy!

Musicman20

Author Topic: Bassist wanted (Read 264 times)
Clarkie
I Pop In Noo An Then

Bassist wanted
« Thread Started on May 17, 2010, 9:50am »
Bassist wanted, once again we are having problems with our bassist . Surely there is one out there who can rehearse twice a week and have there own equipment. We aren't looking for flea! just someone who can play solid on the bass and who has a bit of spare time to be in a band. We play mainly indie anthems and make quite good money .

For more info call or text 07984644258
or leave a message here. cheers
Link to Post - Back to Top   Logged
Precision
Skulker Of Shadows

Re: Bassist wanted
« Reply #1 on May 18, 2010, 4:28am »
Carlsberg don't do cover bands . . . . . . . . .but if they did . . .!!
To any bassist reading this; if your toying with the idea of replying to this ad - just do it. This band R.O.C.K!!! (I know from personal experience).
They're tight and loud and have a good laugh to boot.
This is a great bass slot and once it's gone, it's gone........
wateroftyne

Shazam!

« Reply #2 Yesterday at 12:47pm »
Maybe you should tell the old bassist first..?
The Caffreys: www.thecaffs.com
The Billy Mitchell Band: www.billymitchell.co.uk
The Steve Daggett Trio: www.stevedaggett.co.uk
The Negative Feedback Band: www.jollybeggars.co.uk/eb60
Basses and amps and that: www.jollybeggars.co.uk/bass
Andy
I Pop In Noo An Then

« Reply #3 Yesterday at 1:12pm »
what band is this like
wateroftyne

Shazam!

« Reply #4 Yesterday at 1:21pm »
One that advertises for a new bass player before telling the current one. Classy!
The Caffreys: www.thecaffs.com
The Billy Mitchell Band: www.billymitchell.co.uk
The Steve Daggett Trio: www.stevedaggett.co.uk
The Negative Feedback Band: www.jollybeggars.co.uk/eb60
Basses and amps and that: www.jollybeggars.co.uk/bass
Clarkie
I Pop In Noo An Then

« Reply #5 Yesterday at 4:56pm »
If for one moment I thought the bassist in question gave a kcuf he would have been consulted. But he has given no time or energy to the band since day one and after wasting our time and then giving us a list longer than my arm, of dates he cant do, not bringing a bass guitar to rehearsals let alone a bass cab. I feel is just taking the piss.
We have put a lot of hard work and money into this band over the years and people pay good money and rely on us putting on a good show. Then a new member joins and after wasting weeks rehearsing its becomes clear we are going to start dropping agents and clients in the sh*te. (sorry but we cant take that risk). So when we do turn up to our next function and the clients say, you did a great job thanks! I wonder who will be classy then!

So any bassist who wants to join a band that takes there responsibility's seriously and can put the time in to get tight then give me a call.
musicman20
Skulker Of Shadows

member is online

« Reply #6 Yesterday at 6:26pm »
Interwebz wars r so 1999, whatever.

WOT - Many thanks.

I wont even respond! Maturity, and integrity...they make a difference. Im a nice chap btw, a simple chat would have helped. 4 months of practicing isn't no effort, it's more my time that's disappeared into the ether. Probably for the best ay!
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:56pm by musicman20 » Link to Post - Back to Top   Logged
Roc

« Reply #7 Yesterday at 9:03pm »
So what's the band called? I know a good bass player doing nowt since On the Level split.
Clarkie
I Pop In Noo An Then

« Reply #8 Yesterday at 11:12pm »

The band was called Snagsby, we have now got I new front man and hopefully bassist.
So we have a different set and we are changing the name etc.(Soon)
In the very near future we have 2 gigs booked so we are pushed for time.
We really need a local lad (sunderland) long distance relationships don't seem to work?
And someone with a general love of playing his instrument, not just chasing the almighty dollar.

This is just nonsense. No disrespect to anybody involved, but if I was looking for a bassist and was skimming through the 'available' ads, the OP's opening couple of lines would have me moving smartly on to the next ad.

Don't want to dampen down this feeding frenzy (it's obviously keeping a few people entertained), but I can see merit in both arguments and to have the word 'Professional' bandied about while acting in anything like a professional manner (I'm having to duck the sheer quantity of toys flying around which have originated from the OP's pram) is a bit ironic.

Just my opinion, but the OP's 'bassist available' ad is more concerned with getting back at the ex-band, than a serious attempt to advertise one's wares. Completely self-defeating exercise as I'm sure other bands would look at the ad and come to the same conclusion as I have.

It's a team game, the OP didn't agree with the training methods, move on, next please. If the band were sneaky advertising for a replacement, then the OP's diatribe against that band and individual members on a public forum is just as questionable.

They sound just like my cup of tea, plenty get-togethers and don't care too much about making a filthy profit. Just a pity I'm several hundred miles away.

[quote name='Starless' post='843707' date='May 20 2010, 11:45 PM']This is just nonsense. No disrespect to anybody involved, but if I was looking for a bassist and was skimming through the 'available' ads, the OP's opening couple of lines would have me moving smartly on to the next ad.

Don't want to dampen down this feeding frenzy (it's obviously keeping a few people entertained), but I can see merit in both arguments and to have the word 'Professional' bandied about while acting in anything like a professional manner (I'm having to duck the sheer quantity of toys flying around which have originated from the OP's pram) is a bit ironic.

Just my opinion, but the OP's 'bassist available' ad is more concerned with getting back at the ex-band, than a serious attempt to advertise one's wares. Completely self-defeating exercise as I'm sure other bands would look at the ad and come to the same conclusion as I have.

It's a team game, the OP didn't agree with the training methods, move on, next please. If the band were sneaky advertising for a replacement, then the OP's diatribe against that band and individual members on a public forum is just as questionable.

They sound just like my cup of tea, plenty get-togethers and don't care too much about making a filthy profit. Just a pity I'm several hundred miles away.[/quote]

Feel free to join. The last guy left due to too many rehearsals as well. I sensed a great deal of lies when I slowly realised they were no way near as 'big' as they made out. I wasnt interested in a 'filthy profit'. Ive thrown thousands at playing over the years, and played for free in the DIY punk scene across the UK countless times. I will continue to as well. I was ASKED to join their band and their terms stated they only do it for the extra money and a little fun. Thats the only reason I wanted to play songs im not really interested in; a little extra help with money, AND to get better at playing new styles. I have my own originals band which will never ever get paid as we are far too obscure. TBH, they werent really my type of band, or the type of people id go to the pub with. As soon as I discussed my background (Trainee Solicitor) they seemed a little edgy...and I think I know why. Different people im afraid, and not very nice. I dont like meeting people like this, it ruins my faith in integrity and friendship.

Please dont get irritated with my attempt to earn a little by entertaining people. Some people make a living off it.

Edited by Musicman20

If you can, do yourself a favour and consider removing any 'available' ad you have kicking around, or at least editing them to remove any reference to your ex-band. It just doesn't set the right tone for attracting a band.

It's like those internet dating sites (so I'm told) where women will include in their 'Looking For...' blurb a whole ream of things that was wrong with their ex. I think people just tend to skim right over those ones.... (I certainly would).

[quote name='Starless' post='843707' date='May 20 2010, 11:45 PM']This is just nonsense. No disrespect to anybody involved, but if I was looking for a bassist and was skimming through the 'available' ads, the OP's opening couple of lines would have me moving smartly on to the next ad.

They sound just like my cup of tea, plenty get-togethers and don't care too much about making a filthy profit. Just a pity I'm several hundred miles away.[/quote]

Never been screwed over by a band, mate? This here is just therapy... I'd call it pretty healthy myself. Some people go round and break windows!

You did right G. Saved some other guys from wasting there time with these tits. Been there and done it myself in the past - wish someone had saved me the bother!

Starless - Go get joined up if they're so up your street.

It continues, he met me through joinmyband and realising I've found out he has now advertised on there with a few more digs. Nice! Plenty of maturity from a man is his late 30s.

[url="http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/classifieds/bassist-wanted-t119200.html"]http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/classifieds/ba...ed-t119200.html[/url]

Edited by Musicman20

None of it makes sense to me, I think I have missed something.

How many are in this band - the ad doesn't even say!

Have you/they ever played in other bands?

If they are a start up band then they should have all gone away for a few weeks and learned lots of tunes on their own, then 4 weeks of 2 practices a week should have them up and ready to gig - do a few small pub gigs to gage audience reaction and clear first night nerves - job done.

Were you just rehearsing music or adding choreography too?

They say they are making money - you say you are not gigging.
They say you have no gear - you say you aren't willing to leave your gear at the rehearsal space.

I joined a 5 piece and was gigging with them within 4 weeks one practice a week. We practice once a week and there have been issues that mean we've only gigged twice this year. I'm looking for another band to do in parallel, one that plays more than it rehearses.

Be careful - some people just want to be in a band to tell their mates that they are in a band. They say they want to gig, but really only ever want to practice and do the occasional gig in front of those "mates".

Move on. Work out exactly what you want to do and are prepared to do first. Make that clear to the next band before you join.

Edited by TimR

The statement "we earn quite good money" implies the fact and will attract a lit of bass players who wish to earn monies off this gig, and "quite good" what's that enough to live off? A few extra hundred? Or a tenner every month or so when try actually get a gig.

Then they are totally hypocritical and say they arnt interested in the "mighty (pound) dollar". Well excuse me don't advertise the availabilty of good money and expect a 15 year old kid who just wants to rock his socks off.

To me they are being completely misleading. I would lack effortto lug hear around after being told I would make "good money" and after four months recieve nothing.

I realise a lot of people understanding of "good money" is different but I work for nearly minium wage, that's not good money.

I've only been gigging since last December but have since always played for free, and have played along side a band I consider proffessional. They were cool chaps, played, gigged a lot and got paid, and even though it was operated out of the back of a transit, if I was paying them I'd be happy.

Also dealt with otherwise of the spectrum on a free gig, meddly type deal. The guys showed up late, complained and spent 20 minutes effectivily plugging in and tuning up..... Not cool.

Plus 1 though to TimR.

I think I know G quite well and he is an honest guy, passionate about bass and all things bass.
Kit really is not a problem ( jeez..I can't believe they said that :) :rolleyes: :lol: ) and to trek 60 odd miles twice a week for 4 months is NOT a lack of commitment, in my book.

If they wanted to change things...for their own reasons, then that is their choice, but a quiet word like, it is not working we need to look at other options would have been the correct way of doing things. I don't know when they were going to clear this 'detail' up but they don't sound like the type of band I'd want to do business with in any sense.

A name change is a very good idea because, IMV, the current one is mud...

Edited by JTUK

The more I read about this Gareth, the more I think that it just comes down to incompatability. You weren't right for them, and they weren't right for you. If I was you, I would leave all this slagging behind you and put this down to experience. Dwelling on the negatives will just make you bitter. At least you will know which questions to ask your next prospective band!

[quote name='TimR' post='843747' date='May 21 2010, 12:56 AM']None of it makes sense to me, I think I have missed something.

How many are in this band - the ad doesn't even say!

Have you/they ever played in other bands?

If they are a start up band then they should have all gone away for a few weeks and learned lots of tunes on their own, then 4 weeks of 2 practices a week should have them up and ready to gig - do a few small pub gigs to gage audience reaction and clear first night nerves - job done.

Were you just rehearsing music or adding choreography too?

They say they are making money - you say you are not gigging.
They say you have no gear - you say you aren't willing to leave your gear at the rehearsal space.

I joined a 5 piece and was gigging with them within 4 weeks one practice a week. We practice once a week and there have been issues that mean we've only gigged twice this year. I'm looking for another band to do in parallel, one that plays more than it rehearses.

Be careful - some people just want to be in a band to tell their mates that they are in a band. They say they want to gig, but really only ever want to practice and do the occasional gig in front of those "mates".

Move on. Work out exactly what you want to do and are prepared to do first. Make that clear to the next band before you join.[/quote]

Thanks, I agree. Wise words :)

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='843833' date='May 21 2010, 09:11 AM']The statement "we earn quite good money" implies the fact and will attract a lit of bass players who wish to earn monies off this gig, and "quite good" what's that enough to live off? A few extra hundred? Or a tenner every month or so when try actually get a gig.

Then they are totally hypocritical and say they arnt interested in the "mighty (pound) dollar". Well excuse me don't advertise the availabilty of good money and expect a 15 year old kid who just wants to rock his socks off.

To me they are being completely misleading. I would lack effortto lug hear around after being told I would make "good money" and after four months recieve nothing.

I realise a lot of people understanding of "good money" is different but I work for nearly minium wage, that's not good money.

I've only been gigging since last December but have since always played for free, and have played along side a band I consider proffessional. They were cool chaps, played, gigged a lot and got paid, and even though it was operated out of the back of a transit, if I was paying them I'd be happy.

Also dealt with otherwise of the spectrum on a free gig, meddly type deal. The guys showed up late, complained and spent 20 minutes effectivily plugging in and tuning up..... Not cool.

Plus 1 though to TimR.[/quote]

I think that was it, the first thing they said to me was harp on about money, and then it never happened for 4 months. They have cancelled the future gigs as well now as no bass and the vocalist is still not ready.

[quote name='JTUK' post='843859' date='May 21 2010, 09:43 AM']I think I know G quite well and he is an honest guy, passionate about bass and all things bass.
Kit really is not a problem ( jeez..I can't believe they said that :lol: :lol: :lol: ) and to trek 60 odd miles twice a week for 4 months is NOT a lack of commitment, in my book.

If they wanted to change things...for their own reasons, then that is their choice, but a quiet word like, it is not working we need to look at other options would have been the correct way of doing things. I don't know when they were going to clear this 'detail' up but they don't sound like the type of band I'd want to do business with in any sense.

A name change is a very good idea because, IMV, the current one is mud...[/quote]

+1 on the name change. Thanks for the support!

[quote name='Johnston' post='843893' date='May 21 2010, 10:17 AM']the 'we earn good money' would imply to me they are up and running and obviously making money. A band that is up and running doesn't need constant practices. Maybe with a change of line-up then yes to get new members up to speed. The established members should be up to speed so if they needed the practice time something is very wrong for a band earning good money.

As for leaving the stuff at the rehearsal space no chance you hardly know them space is unattended, no thank you. Especially since you could get a phone call and be kicked out, then there is the possibility of them making things awkward to get your gear back.

One other thing WTF is the craic with miking the drum kit every practice[/quote]

I really dont like leaving cabs worth £500+ in a room I know little about. Gigs would have brought out the big guns :rolleyes: But it never got that far. Im glad I had nothing there as id have to go and get it and bump into them. I think the drummer loves being loud, thats it.
[quote name='Conan' post='843918' date='May 21 2010, 10:42 AM']The more I read about this Gareth, the more I think that it just comes down to incompatability. You weren't right for them, and they weren't right for you. If I was you, I would leave all this slagging behind you and put this down to experience. Dwelling on the negatives will just make you bitter. At least you will know which questions to ask your next prospective band![/quote]

+1, time to bow out with some dignity I think. Ive left them to it and im not responding to any 'digs' they make anymore. All in all I think it was for the best, and its probably best its happened right now.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='844057' date='May 21 2010, 12:50 PM']Aw, it was a bit of an anticlimax in the end, i was expecting a massive 30+ page internet flame war![/quote]

Well, now we're all members, we have the power to make it happen. Anyone else up for a mass trollathon?

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='844082' date='May 21 2010, 01:08 PM']Well, now we're all members, we have the power to make it happen. Anyone else up for a mass trollathon?

S.P.[/quote]
Well, it's a forum known and loved by many North-Eastern BC'ers.

I'm sure we'll sit back and laugh....

[quote name='Musicman20' post='843953' date='May 21 2010, 11:17 AM']I think that was it, the first thing they said to me was harp on about money, and then it never happened for 4 months. They have cancelled the future gigs as well now as no bass and the vocalist is still not ready.

I really dont like leaving cabs worth £500+ in a room I know little about. Gigs would have brought out the big guns :) But it never got that far. Im glad I had nothing there as id have to go and get it and bump into them. I think the drummer loves being loud, thats it.[/quote]

I'm no singer so maybe I'm just being foolish, and some people ae different. But I still managed to learnthe words, bassline and lead guitar to Stevie Wonder, Superstition in 1 night. Not perfect but well enough to play any of those parts live on stage. But that's just me.

And same my rig is only worth £800, but I left that and my Orange guitar amp at a function room. I stayed to watch lock up and arrived the next morning before they were open.

And unless the drummer is a total wimp and the kit is crap, small and has no projection there is no need to mic it up. My band barely mics up at gigs let alone rehearsal, but our drummer is a beast. Only would be usefull if they were recording while rehursing, but there'd be so much bleed in a close setting like that, it would sound aweful.

Edited by Prime_BASS

I took a look at that forum he started mouthing off on - personal hate of mine that music forums are used to destroy someone's character cos the OP can ALWAYS have the last say, and always plays it large like they're the big man -behind the safety of a keyboard and relative anonymity!!

Proper men do it face to face - but BC already knows that. :)

Power to you Gareth.

Still very puzzled at the mic'ing up the kit for rehearsal !!!

We use a touch of kick at most pubs and full mic up for hotels and clubs etc when we do a function but at rehearsal then LESS is more and we use my electric kit to keep the noise at sensible levels ( so much easier to hear wrong notes etc when learning new stuff )

Previous bands I have played in I have used ear plugs with a normal kit at rehearsal to keep the noise down !!

I almost started to bite again on the Ginger Pit Forum, almost. Especially when he somehow decided I was crap despite the fact he was very impressed with me when I played with them.

I wont bother though. I have no doubts about my skills, I think they just want someone to be there to play the basics and be part of their clan.

EDIT: Who has signed up as Shambo ? :)

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='844723' date='May 21 2010, 10:57 PM']I almost started to bite again on the Ginger Pit Forum, almost. Especially when he somehow decided I was crap despite the fact he was very impressed with me when I played with them.

I wont bother though. I have no doubts about my skills, I think they just want someone to be there to play the basics and be part of their clan.

EDIT: Who has signed up as Shambo ? :rolleyes:[/quote]

Yeah, that was me. Just endulging in some gentle, light hearted banter (or call it trolling if you like, I'm not ashamed, it's one of the internets most simple pleasures :lol: ). As I've mentioned before, most of the musicians I've met I've never liked and this blokes show of classic muso arrogance was just too good to let go without comment.

I'll give him one thing though, at least he's optimistic. He thinks his 'controversial' recruitment drive's been a great success and there's gonna be more people at their next gig. :)

Edited by Shambo