Why become a member? ×

My Brand New 2010 Wal Mach II

BlackElan

After waiting many years on the list I it finally arrived in March of 2010, my brand new Wal. I posted pics on the other forum but thought I may as well post them over here. I liked this Mach II so much that I just ordered another one.

This one barely weighs 9lbs as I requested Paul to use lighter woods. I also had him shave down the V profile so it is a very soft V almost C shape on the neck.

[quote name='Dirty Soul' post='838534' date='May 15 2010, 03:44 PM']Stunning, simply stunning! :) :rolleyes: :lol:

Did this cost you extra?[/quote]

To shave it down to a soft V was no extra charge but if I wanted a C shpae or something like a D it would have cost extra and Paul wanted specific dimensions if he was going to do that. I asked about doing a Jazz bass neck profile and he said I could send a neck in or give him specific measurements in order to do it.

I am very happy with the soft V shape, and if I had a choice between C, D or soft V on another bass I would do a soft V again.

[quote name='MB1' post='838824' date='May 16 2010, 05:15 AM']MB1. :rolleyes:
Very Nice Bass!...did you not fancy getting it lacquered?..Or.. "should i have Gone to Specsavers" :)[/quote]

Only reason I did not get the gloss finish is because all the other Wals I had played were the same satin finish. A local luthier told me once that too thick of paint like Poly or more glossy laquers can take the naturual tone out of the wood.

I considered getting my second Wal in a gloss finish but decided against it, my next one will have a ebony board but otherwise similar specs.

[quote name='BlackElan' post='838856' date='May 16 2010, 01:58 PM']Only reason I did not get the gloss finish is because all the other Wals I had played were the same satin finish. A local luthier told me once that too thick of paint like Poly or more glossy laquers can take the naturual tone out of the wood.

I considered getting my second Wal in a gloss finish but decided against it, my next one will have a ebony board but otherwise similar specs.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Is there really that much audible difference tonewise in the lacquered and Unlacquered Wals?. Reason i ask is ive always quite fancied a blue lacquered 4.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='838693' date='May 16 2010, 10:54 AM']probably the cleanest looking control cavity ive ever seen![/quote]

Paul Herman employs these tiny little Hobbits with tiny little hoovers to keep them that way...

ickle people.... really ickle.

[quote name='MB1' post='839027' date='May 16 2010, 09:20 AM']MB1. :)
Is there really that much audible difference tonewise in the lacquered and Unlacquered Wals?. Reason i ask is ive always quite fancied a blue lacquered 4.[/quote]

In all honesty probably not, I have owned plenty of great sounding Poly finished thick laquered bass guitars. I have only played naturaul satin finished Wals in the past so I wanted to be sure that I would be getting something similar tone wise.