Why become a member? ×

I have a feeling Im going to order this rather unusual yet fantastic bass...EB MM Big Al 5!

Musicman20

I know, there is still divided opinion on these instruments, just like the Bongo. But Im a EBMM fanboy, lets face it. If people can like the frankly odd Warwick shapes, then Im sure a little push in the right direction and theyd start to see why I like the bodyshape.

The tone on these basses from the videos is just STUNNING. Perfect combination of MM punch but with single coils! It also does passive as well as active. Both settings sound really good.

I didnt really look into these basses until I heard the Ed Friedland demos on YouTube.

This is the reason Im suddenly drawn to the bizarre bodyshape:

[attachment=49288:bigal5sss.jpg]

That is the exact spec I want.

I figured despite the fact I could just keep saving and get a true vintage Fender, Im actually really happy with the modern ones I own. At this point my next bass has to be different and offer me something Ive never had before.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='832110' date='May 9 2010, 12:44 PM']I can't believe this. Someone on BC orders the "first" (supposedly) big al 5 and now all of you want one! I can see why though, it is interesting.[/quote]

Haha, well, I agree, we all create GAS for each other. BUT, I wasnt in the slightest bit interested until I heard the demo video. That was it...sold.

I've always thought the Big Al to be another great piece of design from EBMM. I don't want one personally, but I can definitely see the appeal. Luckily, all basses don't have to look like they were designed in the late 50's - early 60's. More players should dare to be a little different & try playing something striking, cool and fresh today! :)

i love the look and sound of these basses :)

However, something really bothers me about them! and all Musicman basses!

The string spacing and pickup pole pieces never, ever match up! it just does my head in! i mean how much money/time goes into the design process? my guess is rather a lot! but they still cant get that simple issue sorted out!

The picture above really shows how bad it is, i personally like a little more attention to the design of a bass and its pickups, we could be heading for another Musicman weak G string issue here!

Rant over :rolleyes:

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='832145' date='May 9 2010, 01:09 PM']i love the look and sound of these basses :)

However, something really bothers me about them! and all Musicman basses!

The string spacing and pickup pole pieces never, ever match up! it just does my head in! i mean how much money/time goes into the design process? my guess is rather a lot! but they still cant get that simple issue sorted out!

The picture above really shows how bad it is, i personally like a little more attention to the design of a bass and its pickups, we could be heading for another Musicman weak G string issue here!

Rant over :rolleyes:[/quote]

I never experienced the weak G string, and I had two 3 band EQ Ray 4s before my new orders. I have heard its usually those basses that you find it on; the Ray 5, for example, never has it.

I dont think the weak G string is a pole position issue, I think its an EQ design that some notice and some do not....and maybe different amps/cabs pronounce it more. I know what you mean about pole/string position, but surely there is a reason for it?

The main reason I like EB is that you just get great QC (Im hoping I do on my next few) for a good price. I wouldnt dream of swapping the electronics in them as they just work. Thats me though, EB fan boy hahah.

i think the they use the same pickup in all three positions for cost reasons, regardless of how it affects the sound. With the Ray's pickup it must have something to do with the Weak G string as its so off centre compared to the rest of the strings?!

if the spacing of pole pieces didn't matter then why bother having them exposed in the first place? :)

dont get me wrong they're great basses i just wish they would admit to it being wrong, deal with the problem and they would then have me and countless others coming back to Musicman.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='832176' date='May 9 2010, 01:43 PM']Despite my "issues" i do have severe gas for the 4 string Big Al

do u ever think a shop in the UK will have any in stock?

:)[/quote]

Haha, catching isnt it.

If I order, im going through Darren n Co at the Bass Merchant as usual. Ive got a good quote im just making sure im 100%.

When I emailed him, he said they have a Blue Big Al 4 in stock...not sure which blue. Id love to go and test it, but I cannot get down there at the moment.

I think they are pretty damn rare at the moment.

These look absolutely wickid. Weird shapes are the future!!

I could definitely see myself with one of these.

People are funny about shapes.... recently an Ovation Magnum 1 sold on ebay for £820, yet around the same time an Ovation magnum 3 sold for just over £400. The difference? Only the body shape- the 3 is much more traditional, precision-esque whereas the 1 looks like a space ship. Same woods, same pickups, same electronics, same sound. Makes you wonder.... there's obviously a huge market for quality basses in non-traditional shapes.

Now who can sell me an unmarked used Big Al at a knockdown price?

Rich

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='832176' date='May 9 2010, 01:43 PM']Despite my "issues" i do have severe gas for the 4 string Big Al

do u ever think a shop in the UK will have any in stock?

:)[/quote]

If any do it'll either be The Gallery or Guitar Guitar, I reckon.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='832136' date='May 9 2010, 01:06 PM']I've always thought the Big Al to be another great piece of design from EBMM. I don't want one personally, but I can definitely see the appeal. Luckily, all basses don't have to look like they were designed in the late 50's - early 60's. More players should dare to be a little different & try playing something striking, cool and fresh today! :)[/quote]
To me the Big Al looks exactly like it was designed in the late 50s/early 60s! It looks like it ought to be stuck to a Cadillac, and not in a good way IMHO.

I guess YMMV...

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='832569' date='May 9 2010, 09:11 PM']To me the Big Al looks exactly like it was designed in the late 50s/early 60s! It looks like it ought to be stuck to a Cadillac, and not in a good way IMHO.

I guess YMMV...[/quote]
It looks like a late 1950s design style-wise to me as well, which I'd say is good. Maybe like something from, say, Hagstrom.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='Musicman20' post='832183' date='May 9 2010, 01:52 PM']Haha, catching isnt it.

If I order, im going through Darren n Co at the Bass Merchant as usual. Ive got a good quote im just making sure im 100%.

When I emailed him, he said they have a Blue Big Al 4 in stock...not sure which blue. Id love to go and test it, but I cannot get down there at the moment.

I think they are pretty damn rare at the moment.[/quote]
Just had a play on that today - very nice :) I managed to buy some DDT strings instead of a bass though so its still hanging on the wall...

[quote name='Legion' post='832656' date='May 9 2010, 11:03 PM']Just had a play on that today - very nice :) I managed to buy some DDT strings instead of a bass though so its still hanging on the wall...[/quote]

Ohh do tell!

How did you find the bodyshape whilst playing?

I'm sold on the electrics already, I imagine it sounded really good?!

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='832661' date='May 9 2010, 11:10 PM']Ohh do tell!

How did you find the bodyshape whilst playing?

I'm sold on the electrics already, I imagine it sounded really good?![/quote]
Actually it was perfectly comfortable sitting down, even though it looks like it might not be. Very slim little neck as well.

Sound was bogglingly versatile really, although I can't be too objective as I was mainly testing out the little RS112 cab. It covered all the basic range of sounds you could want from the P to J stuff (and everything inbetween) with that usual musicman vibe built in. Very nice passive sound as well.