Why become a member? ×

Best thickness plectrum for bass

TheDisparities

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='830798' date='May 7 2010, 04:35 PM']Nope, I get them from stringsdirect.co.uk when I put in a heavy-duty string order, I get some more picks.
I don't use them much either on bass, but we do Adam and the Ants in one of my bands, and you got to get some pick in there for those funny rhythms, especially while shrieking BVs.
I think big Stu in Bideford does triangle picks, can't remember what he's called his shop though.[/quote]

I can't remember what the shop is called but I know where it is, good guy as well.
Either that or I'll get some from stringsdirect.

Thanks.

Herco Flex 75s for me.

Picks just like every other thing on the bass depend on the player and the sound you are after. Also different picks will produce different sounds. I really like the sound I get with heavy hard plastic picks when playing on my own but as soon as I try and use that sound in a full band situation the clicky attack that they give me just disappears.

There's loads of picks out there, so just go to your local music shop and buy one of each and try them all until you find the right one for you and don't forget that there may be more than one right one if you're looking for different sounds.

Nylon dunlop .75 or 1mm, depending on what I'm playing, sometimes, the extra flex in the .75 can help for faster riffs....but for the slower stuff, I find myself playing more with thumb and 1, 2 or 3 fingers, kind of what you see a gui****st doing.

When using 45-100 gage i use Dunlop Tortex Orange .60mm
And on the 50-105 gage i use Dunlop Tortex Green .88mm
But as said before in this thread its all down to personal choice, get yourself a selection and keep trying them until you find one that suites you and stick to it. but at the end of it I'm finger style 90% of the time, the picks that i mentioned are what work for me .

I use fingers mostly but when I use a pick I like 1mm tortex.
Best ones were some that I bought at a music show once which had a star shaped hole in the middle. Brilliant grip in sweaty fingers. If anyone knows a source for these let me know as i don't have any left.

I use the black Dunlops on guitar and (occasionally) bass. I used to use translucent nylon plectrums which were graded 1 to 4 (I went for the 3) but I have no idea what brand they were or whether they still exist. If anyone knows the sort I'm talking about (this dates back 20 or 30 years), I'd like to know...

by now I like the 1mm nylon Dunlop. It's flexible in a comfty way and gives a "pick-like" sound whenever I need it.

For a thicker and quite close to fingerstyle sound, yet with some more attack and a pick feel and technique, I think that the large gray 3mm stubby picks are the best choice

oh yeah, I forgot: IMV aluminium picks are terrible, useless, ruin the strings and end up wearing out faster

Edited by EmaTheMirror

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='830523' date='May 7 2010, 11:53 AM']guitar - jazz 3 max grip
bass - tortex ish 1.19 custom printed in none more black![/quote]

I use the Jazz III for guitar and bass too, great tone and nice and grippy to boot. I have also been known to use Dunlop 500 1.5 and 2.0mm for bass, I prefer the 2.0mm for tone out of those 2, both can be a bit slippery.

I used to use Dunlop nylon .73 for everything (guitar and bass, all styles) but I got hold of a LOAD of cheap 1mm normal type, and I am loving the bass attack, although I break about 4 per rehearsal/gig (which is why I used nylons in the first place) so until I run out of the cheapies, I am using those, but I'll probably try nylon 1mms now my thumb is getting used to the extra punishment that the hard picks give. I absolutely mash my picks (my angle of attack is about 30 degrees sideways) so I have to blow loads of pretty coloured dust off my bass after every session :)

Edited by robocorpse

I ALWAYS play on the heaviest gauge strings that I can get hold of and tend to use a heavy pick to go with it.

1.14 brain picks. Orange ones in a tin. They tried stopping selling them and I was gutted and actually stopped going to the store until they got some more in!