Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone familiar with pop/rock bassists from the 80s

brick

Hi there just need some help for Uni research, just wondering if anyone can suggest bassists or songs from the 80s pop/mainstream that use the bass as a main compositional feature rather than just a supporting instrument. I’m aware of Pino and Mark King, but was just wondering if anyone could recommend any other examples

Arcadia (the members of Duran Duran who were not in The Power Station) released an album called "So red the rose" in the eighties sometime.... Some rather tasty fretless bass playing coutesy of Mark Egan - especially on the track "The Promise".

Edited by Conan

[quote name='crez5150' post='829682' date='May 6 2010, 03:13 PM']Also John Giblin - Simple Minds, Kate Bush, phil collins plus loads of others[/quote]

Including Fish's debut solo album "Vigil in a wilderness of Mirrors" Some beautiful, tasteful fretless playing that is pretty prominent in the mix - especially on "Cliche" and "Family Business".

He also played on John Martyn albums - particularly "Grace and Danger". Lovely player who is very under-rated.

[quote name='Conan' post='829687' date='May 6 2010, 03:19 PM']Including Fish's debut solo album "Vigil in a wilderness of Mirrors" Some beautiful, tasteful fretless playing that is pretty prominent in the mix - especially on "Cliche" and "Family Business".

He also played on John Martyn albums - particularly "Grace and Danger". Lovely player who is very under-rated.[/quote]

Indeed.... and some mad stuff with Brand X

Norman Cook aka Fatboy Slim played bass in the Housemartins.

Then you had the rockers like Rick Savage (Def Leppard) and Alec Jon Such (Bon Jovi).

The Smiths had Andy Rourke & The Sisters of Mercy had Patricia Morrison replacing Craig Adams who went on to The Mission.

Oh & one of the fools in Bros used to mince around with a bass but that's best forgotton.

Theres Bernard edwards and Robbie Shakespeare if they dont have to be British.
Oh, and who ever it was that played on ABC's "lexicon of love" album, he was pretty important to the album.I dont know his name, or what happened to him/her.

Edited by witterth

From NYC, Will Lee, Marcus Miller, Chuck Rainey.

From LA, Wilton Felder, Max Bennett, Abe L

Alphonso Johnson, Anthony Jackson. Louis J....

These guys would have been the triple scale - and some, probably - bass players of that time.

I am sure I have miseed more than a few...but I'd need to check out the vinyl collection.

[quote name='witterth' post='829793' date='May 6 2010, 04:41 PM']Oh, and who ever it was that played on ABC's "lexicon of love" album, he was pretty important to the album.I dont know his name, or what happened to him/her.[/quote]

That was Brad Lang- great player, i think he does gigs for Barbara Dixon these days.
I did a six month stint in his dad's band some time back.[Jazz Trombonist Don Lang]

Neil Stubenhaus has an emense session CV from the 80's.

And Nathan East did his fair share of pop and rock in the 80's.

Garry

Edited by lowdown