Why become a member? ×

Who is your most inspirational bassist?

Chris2202

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='856744' date='Jun 4 2010, 12:48 AM']Y'know it's interesting to note that some of us have completely opposite influences.

I've heard of all of them - but many of them only in this forum it has to be said - but as far as I'm aware I've only actually heard Mark King play a bass. I understand Anthony Jackson has played on some popular records but I don't know which ones. The rest of them I'm fairly certain I've never heard at all.[/quote]
I know what you mean!
I googled/youtubed John Myung once and dared to sugest I didnt like him that much........god! you'd think I'd killed everyones (in the world) first born!!
Now personallly I like Mark King (I dont think you do though!!)
the other guys ( oh accepting Anthony Jackson are "widdly slappidy scaley" jazzers) who I need to take a nurofen before listening to.....
no offence Doddy...really no offence!

It's taken a while, but now i've thought about it...

Mark King
John Deacon
Bakithi Kumalo
John MacVie
Flea

Mark King for timing, expression and exposure. And Slappa da bass.
John Deacon for always playing the right thing at the right time. But soley for 'Dragon Attack' if anything.
Bakithi Kumalo for fretless noise - Graceland, listen again! (Pino is 2nd Fretless Player for me, Jaco is 3rd/overall god)
John MacVie - Solid as you like. What a bassist 'should' be.
Flea - Sit down and listen to BSSM, figure it all out and play it.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='856765' date='Jun 4 2010, 01:15 AM']Bakithi Kumalo
Flea[/quote]

Actually I think Kumalo is a bigger influence on me than I realise. I've only really heard him on that one massively hit record, but when he breaks out of the groove and does those funky African fills, that stuck with me and I still attempt those!

Flea on BSSM - again it only takes on definitive album where a player is at his peak - well I've never approached the sort of singularity with the instrument that he had on that album.

I think this stuff is more important to me than "career skilful bassists". People who turned up on one definitive record and just ****ing rocked it beyond belief and in doing so cemented their place in history, those are the people I've always looked up to. Stuart Zender is still a big influence on me even though I can't abide JK.

Zender is up there.

I just want to add Brian Ritchie - Violent Femmes.

An Acoustic Bass begging for Mercy is the sound of their first Album, and that guy is an [u]awesome[/u] player. He is a convincing argument that a Bass Guitar can be a 'Lead' instrument.

I think for me it has to be between Justin Chancellor (Tool/Peach), and Billy Gould (FNM).

Growing up it was about Timmy C and Flea, but my tastes matured when I left my teens. I think Justin is the man… I love the tone, style, use of effects, attitude. Great stuff!

[quote name='witterth' post='856727' date='Jun 4 2010, 12:18 AM']1
Aston Barret yes,but "Bootsy" Collins ??!!??
youre 'avin a giraffe incha?
good at "dress up" yes, playing the Bass guitar? not so sure! well am sure..no.
& dont quote "Groove is in the heart" at me,
a dismembered animal could have come up with that!!
oh...and how "hard" it was with James Brown...just...."dont"
I'll probably be saying sorry for this in the morning!!
but Bootsie? I must have missed the meeting on that one![/quote]
Niceness, you [u]will[/u] regret it in the morning :) Although i know what you mean to a tiny extent, Bootsy is not the most technical of players but he is a legend none the less......I prefer more of his early solo stuff and the P-funk days with a MUTRON and yes the JB's too. Is it the B-line in Groove is in the heart or the message you don't get? There was another funkadelic message that said something like 'Free you mind and your ass will follow'..... :rolleyes: ....Not everybodies taste but i dig! :lol:

Edited by Rasta

[quote name='Rasta' post='856937' date='Jun 4 2010, 10:27 AM']Niceness, you [u]will[/u] regret it in the morning :rolleyes: Although i know what you mean to a tiny extent, Bootsy is not the most technical of players but he is a legend none the less......I prefer more of his early solo stuff and the P-funk days with a MUTRON and yes the JB's too. Is it the B-line in Groove is in the heart or the message you don't get? There was another funkadelic message that said something like 'Free you mind and your ass will follow'..... :lol: ....Not everybodies taste but i dig! :lol:[/quote]
Regret? ....well it was late, I'd a cheeky drink so....yes, I do regret being a rude, "Know-it-all"
I know nowt!! :)
W

[quote name='witterth' post='859179' date='Jun 6 2010, 07:22 PM']Regret? ....well it was late, I'd a cheeky drink so....yes, I do regret being a rude, "Know-it-all"
I know nowt!! :)
W[/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
..."I'll second that emotion!" :lol:

At the moment its Nathan East. Not a stand out bassist by any means but well up there with the best of em. Got a couple of old tapes and dug out the VHS a while back and his approach to playing, song writing and just about everything else music related had a major impact. Mike Inez is another inspiration. That guy grooves better than anyone else in metal IMO.

First and Foremost:

Les Claypool

If it wasn't for him...I woulda given up bass when an absolute catastrophe happened in my life some 5 years ago.
I got my second bass (a 6-string) after wanting to play Primus songs and have NEVER looked back.

Others include:

Stuart Hamm (I listened to him and thought, hey, is that ME tapping?)
Billy Sheehan (Say what you will, but noone has more experience, style, attitude or been worshiped as a God by GUITARISTS than this guy)
Ryan Martinie (Indeed, gettin back into playing some Mudvayne...how does he get that tone!?)
Victor Wooten (sorry for being boring, but I find his compositions at times very interesting beyond his techneque)

...Uhm my minds gone blank, too many that have already been listed! I'm influenced by everything (guitar/keys/drums) so I jus placed a few top inspos.

Edited by Kongo

Larry Boothroyd - [url="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Victims-Family/155566538345#!/pages/Victims-Family/155566538345?v=app_2392950137"]Victims Family[/url]
Rob Wright - Nomeansno

I've had some profound 'play or sell it' moments caused by these fellas. Still do.

And Brian Fox, of course. f***ing legend.

Edited by johnnylager

Not much change for me since the last time this question popped up:

Sharay Reed
Meshell Ndegeocello
Bernard Edwards
Gene Perez

Plus (depending on my mood):
Nate Watts (Stevie Wonder)
Julian Crampton

Special mention to Leland Sklar, only because the more I get to know him, the more respect I have for him. He has his sh*t figured out.

Kim Deal,
Paul Siminon,
Jerry Only,
Dee Dee Ramone,
Klaus Flouride,
Steve Harris'
Jason Newsted,
Mike McKeegan,
Tina Weymouth,
Mark Hoppus,
Matt Freeman,
Fat Mike,
Matt Sharp,
Peter Hook,
Mani,
Simon Gallup,
JMJ

Chronological order I do believe

Dont ask me who the biggest influence was. Though my playing styles are quite reflective of my influences, I reckon.

Just always knew I wanted to be a bass player! :)

Edited by basshead56

I started out listening to Stuart Zender from Jamiroquai, but now my favourites are:

James Jamerson
Nathan Watts
Pino Palladino
Anthony Jackson
Paul McCartney
Bakithi Kumalo
Chuck Rainey
Jaco Pastorius
Braylon Lacy
Paul Turner
Louis Johnson
Freddie Washington
Bernard Edwards
Stevie Wonder and Greg Phillinganes's left hands respectively on Stevie's and Michael Jackon's records

It's hard to choose! I'm only 21, but I listen more to records without notable bass players (or no bass players at all, synth bass a lot).

first off, cant believe some idiot on the other page was bad mouthing bootsy collins as a bass player..

anyways for me (and this is citing some of the people thats influenced me right from the days of first picking up a bass)

Chris Wolstenholme
Flea
Bootsy Collins
Les Claypool
John Paul Jones
Juan Alderate
Tim Commerford
Geezer Butler
Bass player for Toots & the Maytals (only just realised i dont know the guys name)

I dont think theyre the greatest, just had the greatest influence on the way that I play, but when it boils down to it, i listen to far much more music than this list suggests and i believe everything influences you, even the stuff you dont like influences you

Edited by dumelow

[quote name='witterth' post='871513' date='Jun 19 2010, 09:18 AM']"mani"
as in stone roses/Primal scream?
HA HA
Naaa!!
(forgot to say in my opinion)[/quote]

Yeah. Not saying Mr Mounfield is fantastically gifted, but I have always loved hs Stone Roses sound.
Some of the stuff is simple, but great nonetheless.