Why become a member? ×

Do you name your basses?

MacDaddy

No, no names. They end up with rambling descriptions, like 'The Old Fender, You Know, The One From the Auction' to distinguish it from 'The Old Fender, You Know, The Bitsa'.

To be fair, the second gets shortened to 'The Bitsa' but just as often is referred to as 'The Old Banger'.

If any deserve a name it's the Jaydee which has given continuous, loyal service for many years as 'My Bass' until the recent arrival of others and demotion to 'The Jaydee'. Even after all these years I'm afraid I'm one of those who see it as a wooden guitar as opposed to a personality. Hope I never sell it, but also hope I never talk to it.

Only my first one. I called it 'f*ck'n thing, it had a loose connection on the jack socket and it just stopped then started again. A bit like that comedian from t' wheel tappers program.

Edited by tom1946

You have to call them something - mine are all pretty obvious:

The Mustang
The Musicmaster
The Thunderbird
The Jazz
The Daisyrock
The 5 String
The Acoustic
The Fretless
The Black Ashbory
The Blue Ashbory
The Double Bass
Danelectro Longhorn - The Dano
Sunburst '62 reissue Precision - The Jamerson
'81 heavy Ash Precision - The QEII Anchor
NS CR-5M - the Ned
& I used to have a dean pace called 'the banister'

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='812540' date='Apr 20 2010, 01:40 PM']No, don't get it.

Also hate people reffering to instruments/cars as 'her'/'she'.[/quote]

plus the one.

as far as naming basses goes i settle for the "the jazz" or "the musicman"

to give an inanimate object a girl's names ?....well, it's patronising in a strange kind of way.

yes I do -
my MIJ fender jazz bass is "the japan" or "sweetie"
my custom made bass with tele headstock and control plate, jazz body and P pickup is called simply "basstard"
my ampeg svt vr is vietnam made so we call it AMPONG (ampeg ft. vietkong)
my svt 8x10 is just "the fridge" or "that heavy *+*%**" :)

ok, so opinions mostly veering on the negative so far :)

FWIW as I op'd, I don't name my basses, but I think they [i]should [/i]have a name. My custom Shuker is unique enough to warrant an individual designation, rather than 'my custom Shuker'.

And my custom Iceni, different neck & different body but still Iceni, should have name - Trigger's broom? :rolleyes:

As for my Hamer Blitz, it's just a beast, so it should be [i]the [/i]beast?

Yes but only for a bit of fun. In all seriousness, the Fender Jazz is known as the Fender, the Warwick Corvette is know as the Corvette and the Musicman Stingray is known as the Stingray. The ESP Jazz is known as the ESP and the Squire Fretless is known as the Fretless.