Why become a member? ×

Colour on a Ray 5 - Please help me choose!

Musicman20

I've decided the Ray 5 IS for me. I've gone out and tested, and researched.

My decision is: Ray 5, HS pickups, Tort Guard, Rosewood board, non painted headstock. Im thinking rosewood just to give me a little variation. Most of my basses are maple.

I cannot decide between Vintage Sunburst OR White!

These are my two all time favourite guitar/bass colours...but which suits a Ray 5 more is tough to choose.

This, without the extra humbucker and with a single instead:

[attachment=47584:Ray_5_VS...od_close.jpg]

OR

This, with an extra single:

[attachment=47586:mm_sr5_w_r_tspg.jpg]

Edited by Musicman20

I normally prefer rosewood boards but with white its maple. I'd love to own one just like this someday

[attachment=47615:NewMusic...hite0209.jpg]

I dont think it would look so good on the HS though with the black pickup covers

I think the rosewood boards look great with sunburst,especially with a matching headstock.
have you already discounted tobacco burst and honeyburst?

out of your two options I'd have the 3TS/rosewood/tort/non matching. sorry never been a fan of white/rosewood

I'm just a sucker for white basses with tort p/gs, 'board material is going to be a matter of feel on that particular bass, for my part I prefer rosewood (pau ferro on a Sting 5?) from a feel and looks perspective, no matching h/stock in that combo though as it would look odd. Oh yeah IMO.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='810168' date='Apr 18 2010, 11:18 AM']It might make a small difference to know the Classic Ray 4 I have on order is Classic White/Tort/Maple...[/quote]

in that case I'd go dark tobacco sunburst, black pick guard, rosewood board.

Wish I had the money for one.

Cant help with the colour other than to say i hate sunbursts but ive been wondering, can you get a SR5 with a different shaped scratch plate. More like the SR4 one?
The White one with tort does look nice though.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='811270' date='Apr 19 2010, 01:02 PM']Cant help with the colour other than to say i hate sunbursts but ive been wondering, can you get a SR5 with a different shaped scratch plate. More like the SR4 one?
The White one with tort does look nice though.[/quote]

The Stingray 5 Classic has the normal style Ray 4 plate!

But, Im one of the weirdos who actually likes the Ray 5 with a different plate hahah.

Hmm....colour is a bugger. Im so vain.

I'm still pondering this one ha ha.

I cannot have White pups as it's the hs configuration. As much as the maple looks awesome I'm thinking if sticking with rosewood so I have some variety (I do like both....and playing maple for ages made me miss the rosewood!)

I'm edging towards Burst/Rwood/Tort. Classic combo and won't get as mucky! As my other Ray Classic is going to be White/Maple, it seems to make sense...

You know this...

But I have two Sei jazz 5's that I gig with.

One is blonde with featured maple neck and XXXXX facing and it is what I have been looking for for ages. It also has a great tone as well.
The other is off-white with a featured RW board and has a very nice sound but different, so compliments the other maple one, so I take both to most gigs. It is by far the plainer of the two, but it has its little features...as all of MP's basses do..

And you know which one gets the most comments when I get them out....? the White RW 100% of the time.

No, I don't understand it either...