Why become a member? ×

From 99% Finger-Style to 90% Pick-Style

xilddx

Having learned a bit of Chris Squire recently, I've started taking a pick to rehearsals. I am absolutely loving it! So much so, the only reason I feel I want to use finger-style is when I need a bit of rub-a-dub or classical/flamenco style, which is rarely.

I love the almost complete control I have over fast runs, tone, attack, pinch harmonic accents, and most of all damping. I can't really see me going back to fingers.

I often use a pick, can be a real subject of contention to some bass players though.

Personally I use a pick most of the time and use my fingers occasionally, in fact I only started finger style as an extra tool.

Now I find im equally good at both but still pick up a pick (!) 80% of the time

[quote name='silddx' post='807412' date='Apr 15 2010, 05:36 PM']Having learned a bit of Chris Squire recently, I've started taking a pick to rehearsals. I am absolutely loving it! So much so, the only reason I feel I want to use finger-style is when I need a bit of rub-a-dub or classical/flamenco style, which is rarely.

I love the almost complete control I have over fast runs, tone, attack, pinch harmonic accents, and most of all damping. I can't really see me going back to fingers.[/quote]

I have come to the same conclusion over the years, I do the flamenco stuff with pick & my other three fingers. Sometimes waver back to more finger/doublethumb style, but not for long.

As Anthony Jackson says the Bass is a type of Guitar...

Hey you will be trying a six-string (bass) next :)

B

[quote name='throwoff' post='807416' date='Apr 15 2010, 05:39 PM']I often use a pick, can be a real subject of contention to some bass players though.[/quote]
I know what you mean. I did a little bit, I have always thought immense finger style is very impressive, but to be honest, I've got to thinking it's a bit of a sham, I can't really see many advantages to using fingers at the moment. I love the damping control the most, it's great for dynamics and you can get a lovely slow and controlled release that's impossible with fingers.

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' post='807418' date='Apr 15 2010, 05:43 PM']As Anthony Jackson says the Bass is a type of Guitar...

Hey you will be trying a six-string (bass) next :rolleyes:

B[/quote]
No I won't! I came from guitar, and won't be going back :) I like playing guitar and it's a useful tool, but bass is my passion now. The idea of a six string bass appalls me, but I am prone to changing my mind constantly :lol:

[quote name='throwoff' post='807416' date='Apr 15 2010, 05:39 PM']I often use a pick, can be a real subject of contention to some bass players though.[/quote]
These players really annoy me. It's just another way of hitting the string. If you adopt that sort of attitude you're just limiting yourself as a player and the tones you can access. I try and maintain a certain standard with all playing techniques, so if they're called for I can whip em out. It's also fun to play differently sometimes.

[quote name='D-L-B' post='807429' date='Apr 15 2010, 05:51 PM']I try and maintain a certain standard with all playing techniques, so if they're called for I can whip em out. It's also fun to play differently sometimes.[/quote]
That's true enough.

[quote name='D-L-B' post='807429' date='Apr 15 2010, 04:51 PM']These players really annoy me. It's just another way of hitting the string. If you adopt that sort of attitude you're just limiting yourself as a player and the tones you can access. I try and maintain a certain standard with all playing techniques, so if they're called for I can whip em out. It's also fun to play differently sometimes.[/quote]

+1

I bet Bootsy or Jaco could rock out with a pick just as hard as with their fingers

[quote name='silddx' post='807412' date='Apr 15 2010, 05:36 PM']I love the almost complete control I have over fast runs, tone, attack, pinch harmonic accents, and most of all damping.[/quote]

Am a pick man for precisely these reasons.

And it's gotta be a Herco Flex 50 bronze!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Musicman20' post='807434' date='Apr 15 2010, 05:53 PM']I love the feel of a pick...it just works!

But, about a year ago I got annoyed with being ultra fast with a pick, and rubbish with fingers. Fast forward to now, and my finger style is something I'm becoming proud of.[/quote]
That's good, man. My fret hand is fast, but my pick hand fingers can't really keep up with the other, pick obviously can. I can't see the point of trying to get much faster with my fingers anymore.

[quote name='discreet' post='807436' date='Apr 15 2010, 05:55 PM']Am a pick man for precisely these reasons.

And it's gotta be a Herco Flex 50 bronze![/quote]
I must try the Hercos. Do they last long? I like Tortex but I just got some Dunlop nylon .88s which I quite like. How do the Hercos compare to the Dunlops? I imagine they are a similar beast.

BTW, do you mean Gold, can't find bronze on ebay?

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='807439' date='Apr 15 2010, 05:58 PM']I must try the Hercos. Do they last long? I like Tortex but I just got some Dunlop nylon .88s which I quite like. How do the Hercos compare to the Dunlops?[/quote]

Depends on how hard you play obviously - .88s would be too heavy for me.
I don't play extra hard and my Hercos seem to last for months if I don't lose 'em.
I will use Tortex and Dunlop too, but prefer Herco.
They just don't seem to slip out of my fingers quite as much.

PS: Yes, gold :)

Edited by discreet

Don't often use a pick, but every now and again have a "bash". Really enjoy a bit of funk with a pick, sounds very retro.
Mate of mine gave me some heavy/thick rubber ones, they are quite good fun, but not my thang.

I do have a problem with dropping picks tho' so have shied away from "serious" use. So far my fingers haven't fallen off mid chop, so will stick with them for now, me'thinks. :)

p.s. just got into P basses after several attempts, sooooo think I might complete the look by pickin' ??

[quote name='throwoff' post='807416' date='Apr 15 2010, 04:39 PM']I often use a pick, can be a real subject of contention to some bass players though.

Personally I use a pick most of the time and use my fingers occasionally, in fact I only started finger style as an extra tool.

Now I find im equally good at both but still pick up a pick (!) 80% of the time[/quote]

+1 to this.

Really gets on me tits, bass players getting all prissy about pick-stylee players. Who gives a monkey's how you play?

Do guitarists do the same? "Oh, that Hendrix chappie was okay - but he played with a pick you know..." Don't think so.

I have a 'high-end' bass store across the street from me (well it's high-end for Warsaw - it sells Laklands and ThunderFunk, and the occasional boutique model) which is usually populated by goatee-stroking jazz buffs discussing the latest developments in double-thumb techniques - I love to freak them out by picking up their most expensive bass and start playing some quick runs using a pick, throwing in some power chords and popping with middle and ring fingers simultaneously. :brow:

[quote name='MythSte' post='808435' date='Apr 16 2010, 02:15 PM']I really love the pick tone - but my hand cramps up so quickly when using a pick and i simply dont have the patience to try and get used to pick style! I wish i did... Any advice on fast tracking is appreciated![/quote]

I used to have this problem and figured out I was playing far too hard and too near the bridge. Check out some videos on good pick technique, Paul Gilbert's guitar videos are really good for this and just as relevant to the bass.

I've only used Jazz iii XL picks since a friend showed me them, feels much more controlled to me than ordinary dunlops or those great big triangle things. They are fairly grippy as well so I don't drop them often.

Edited by waltsdog

[quote name='Bankai' post='808434' date='Apr 16 2010, 02:15 PM']I started playing with picks, but I now play with fingers.[/quote]

Me too, but can't go back to picks now.
I enjoy using the nail and hand mute for the 60's TV show grooves
but that is as far as I need to go.

Nothing against it as such, just not something I'll put the time into.

I use medium gauge Alien 'glow in the dark' picks (BTW, they don't really glow much at all) [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/29...s_medium_heavy_"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/29...s_medium_heavy_[/url] Despite being 'medium' they are very thin which allows me to pick very fast. Was previously in a death/thrash metasl band and now in a punk band and speed is the order of the day. If I played in a slower band I would use a thicker pick for more meaty tone. Have been working on finger style but just can't manage the super-fast stuff