Why become a member? ×

harsh basses

green

Oh yeah, good choice. I'd add the Modulus Sonic Hammer I owned was also brutally aggressive.

And Rich was right about Status. Some (but not all) of the earlier Series II basses and some (but not all) of the Empathy basses (through necks) can sound very brittle.

I'm surprised by the suggestion of a Jaydee. I played one for 12 years, mahogany isn't typically a bright wood and even though the pickups are single coil, they're also very flat response...

well, should have thought about it myself:
the funk unlimited / sonic hammer (which is its predecessor, right ?) could be the right choice...

so, jaydees are not so good on the high end ?
i mean, personal taste is different...

[quote name='green' post='800213' date='Apr 8 2010, 08:56 PM']well, should have thought about it myself:
the funk unlimited / sonic hammer (which is its predecessor, right ?) could be the right choice...

so, jaydees are not so good on the high end ?
i mean, personal taste is different...[/quote]
Compared to my Modulus Sonic Hammer, my Jaydee was warm and soft. But don't take my word for it.

Modulus Flea:

Jaydee Supernatural:

Status Empathy

Can't find a clip of a Parker Fly bass that doesn't have compression on it, unfortunately.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='799666' date='Apr 8 2010, 11:52 AM']My Thumb (stock MEC everything) has a lot of treble content flat. More than my old Stingray ever did. Switching it into passive mode still gives a ton of treble.[/quote]

Same with the Corvette Standard (active, ash).
I have to back the treble off quite a bit, i just like a little bit of bite. Centred it's quite overbearing

My Zoot (Areo's thru Aquilar pre) is the total opposite, no spiky treble at all which i quite like

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='800627' date='Apr 9 2010, 10:15 AM']Compared to my Modulus Sonic Hammer, my Jaydee was warm and soft. But don't take my word for it.[/quote]

Useful comparison, although the acoustics and recording vary. Take your point about your warm Jaydee, I must say mine is very bright, but I would agree doesn't have the harsh edge of my Stingray with the treble full up. The posting wanted harsh, so Stingray for that.

Mahogany is a very hard wood compared to the usual woods used for bodes, I would have thought this would have given the Jaydee a bright sound, if any audible influence as the Mark Kings have through necks anyway.

Interestingly enough this is a subject close to my heart and i have my own question!

I will soon have another Pedulla MVP in my hands, Its got an all maple construction, so naturally bright. Should i go for the EMG active route? Or go for Passive Dimarzio Willpower (IE billy Sheehan) P pickup and some other jazz pup?

Rob.

[quote name='green' post='799142' date='Apr 7 2010, 07:54 PM']and i'm not talking about boosting the high end, i'm talking about leaving the preamp flat ![/quote]

how do you set a stingray flat ? Do the newer ones have a centre detente ?

[quote name='4 Strings' post='801409' date='Apr 9 2010, 11:02 PM']Mahogany is a very hard wood compared to the usual woods used for bodes[/quote]
The qualities of any species of wood can vary significantly even within the same tree. A piece taken near the root will be a lot denser and harsher than a piece taken near the crotch. Having said that, ash is typically a wood that is known for being brittle sounding. Maple is bright but too bright to be harsh, its clean sounding...almost glassy if super dense. If you have a look at any discussions on tonewood using Google, mahogany isn't generally selected by luthiers for brightness, its selected for warmth and midrange. In my experience its tended to be fairly soft. My Smith BSR5GN had a mahogany core and I could mark that with a fingernail. No way I could do that with any maple I've handled.

The recordings could potentially vary but the differences between the attack in the instruments are pretty significant to my ears at least, and fairly authentic to my ears. I deliberately chose a fairly harsh sounding Jaydee in the clip I posted too. By comparison there are loads of Level 42 clips where Mark Kings bass is softer sounding even when chorus isn't used.

[quote name='4000' post='801635' date='Apr 10 2010, 11:10 AM']A lot of this will vary between individual instruments even within the same make and model. A friend uses a 3EQMM and I wouldn't say it's especially bright set flat.[/quote]

well, i guess his treble section on the amp is faulty ;-)

now, i found a good example of what i mean.
listen to this clip:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NJwU-Ipe5s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NJwU-Ipe5s[/url]

the stingray has a broad high end range, while the thumb has lows, with a bit of treble on top.

[quote name='green' post='801716' date='Apr 10 2010, 12:34 PM']well, i guess his treble section on the amp is faulty ;-)[/quote]

Funny, I would've thought if you start eq-ing then it's no longer flat. :)

Edited by 4000

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='801565' date='Apr 10 2010, 09:43 AM']How does through body stringing add brightness?[/quote]

A fair comment. It probably just adds sustain. Sometimes I just write the first thing I think of.
The g+ls are bright though, especially if you spray them fluorescent yellow and orange.