Why become a member? ×

harsh basses

green

[quote name='green' post='802520' date='Apr 11 2010, 12:35 PM']i guess i found another really bright bass:
kubicki x-factor
too bad those are so rare...[/quote]

My Kubicki had a really bright sound, great for the Stuart Hamm stuff I was into at the time! However, my Status Stealth bass was much brighter that the Kubicki! The Kubicki was abit "thinner" sounding, but in an awesome way.

Dunno if anyone's mentioned them yet, or if you've already stated that it's out the question, but my geddy signature has a perfect high end. might just be to my ear (hence the reason I got one) but with all the knobs on full, it unleashes the most powerful bass sound with an almost separate layer of beautiful, harsh high end. again, might just be my ears and me talking out my ass. ears and ass is never a nice combo!

*edit*
just read the thread and realised that maybe you're looking for something way different (a kind of tone which I'm personally not too fond of) but I still stick by what I said.

Edited by deathpanda

For the brightest tone in the woods themselves you want to go for a glossed maple fingerboard. Think in terms of Fender Jazz Marcus Miller Signature. The other thing you can do is go for a bright sounding wood. Walnut and maple are the brightest sounding usually.

The one thing we haven't thought to ask you is how much you're planning to spend on your bass of harshness? :)

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

well, how much i want to spend is unclear.
if i know that a bass is bright, i would also buy it used.
like, buying a used status or alembic if i find one.

i'm not going to get one built by a luthier, because at the end of the day you never know what you get (and i don't have enough money for that)