Why become a member? ×

OutToPlayJazz

Perhaps I'm getting old (at 40), but I keep bumping into a lot of threads around these here parts concerning image. From threads about how cool/ugly Bongos are & how impressive a big hulking two tonne rig looks to the visual merits of DIY home relicing (no it's definitely not a recognized English word!)

When I buy a rig, I look for the best sounding combined with the lightest weight and smallest possible size combination.

When I buy a bass, I want it to have the best possible quality, the best balance and amazing sound/playability.

And in another parallel, when I change my car this year, I'm probably going to go for one of the new Skoda Superbs. I've had two diesel Skodas in the last few years and I value the bullet proof reliability and build quality above all else. The looks or badge snobbery mean nothing to me whatsoever.

So I suppose what I'm asking is, when you're either buying gear or playing it, how much does image [u]honestly[/u] mean to you? Do you value how you look to other people over how something feels to play.

As you can see, with me, it matters not one jot as long as I dress appropriately, play professionally & have the right sound/quality in my hands. I don't care what other people think as long as I'm happy with my gear/sound. :)

Discuss.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

I have asthetic preferences. I have to like the look of a bass before I buy one. That's as far as it goes with gear though.

Sometimes, image in general can be very important. There are certain tribute bands you'd need to dress the part for, if not own the right gear. Even in originals acts a strong image will help you get further. So yeh, sometimes it depends on the gig.

Is there not the chance you are mixing Image with Fashion - from the looks of you rgear list, image is extremely important to you - it's just that you have gone for a very personal statement - all those lovely woods for a start. As with the car, the Skoda does have a certain image - shows you're comfortable with owning a solid reliable well built car not a member extension, proving you're a bass player not a lead guitarist :)

The idea of tailoring your image to sell your band doesn't sit right with me. I don't make music to make money, though, I do it for fun.

I have preferences when it comes to how my instruments look, but that's more personal taste than wanting to have any kind of image onstage.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='790830' date='Mar 30 2010, 05:22 PM']Is there not the chance you are mixing Image with Fashion - from the looks of you rgear list, image is extremely important to you - it's just that you have gone for a very personal statement - all those lovely woods for a start. As with the car, the Skoda does have a certain image - shows you're comfortable with owning a solid reliable well built car not a member extension, proving you're a bass player not a lead guitarist :rolleyes:[/quote]

Haha! Nice comment :) Yes, perhaps I like my basses to look a certain way, but I'm not making a statement as far as I'm aware - Just making sure I play what I like & to hell with what anyone else thinks, basically.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='790811' date='Mar 30 2010, 05:12 PM']I don't care what other people think as long as I'm happy with my gear :)[/quote]

You don't care what other people think, yet you list all of your expensive/"prestigious" gear in your sig. Hmmmm. :rolleyes:

Edited by Earbrass

[quote name='Earbrass' post='790836' date='Mar 30 2010, 05:29 PM']You don't care what other people think, yet you list all of your expensive/"prestigious" gear in your sig. Hmmmm.[/quote]

There's nothing prestigious there as far as I can see. It would be listed there, no matter what I was playing at the time. :)

Image is as important (but no more so) as any other factor when choosing an instrument. I won't have a bass that I don't like the looks of any more then I would have a bass that didn't sound right or didn't suit my playing style.

As every aspect is equally important, I pick my instruments first on looks - if it doesn't appeal to my aesthetic sense there's no point even trying it out. Secondly on playability - 15 minutes of trying a bass without plugging it in will tell you a lot about the feel of it without being distracted by the sound. Finally if I'm still happy only then will I plug it in and listen to the sound and in many ways in a shop this is the least important bit because the chances are that I'm not going to get the sound of my rig at even rehearsal let alone gig volume in these conditions, so as long as it doesn't sound crap then it's probably worth considering.

Yep, like bigredX said, i won't even bother trying a bass i don't like the look of, 9 times out of ten. Not because it has to fit with some image or that i "wouldn't look right" playing it, but just personal preference. E.G i'd never buy a ritter (if i could afford one) because i don't like the shape and they're a bit OTT for me. But also i'll choose a bass on playability and sound, if it doesn't play/sound right, then i'm not going to buy it, regardless of how it looks. Granted i did that with a stingray HH a while back because it was very pretty, but only because i had no way of trying it in person. I soon sold it on when i wasn't happy with how it sounded or played.

Edited by budget bassist

I think the image matters to a point.
For instance,I'd never take my singlecut on a sweaty rock gig.I'm more
inclined to use my Fender,partly because it would just look totally out of place.
Most times it doesn't really make a difference,as long as I like it that's all that
really matters. But sometimes you have to look right,and the instrument may be
as important as your shirt.

I think this thread is dealing with aesthetics, rather than "image" - and yes, if I don't like an instrument aesthetically, I'm unlikely to consider wanting to own one. I'll probably never own a Warwick or a Music Man for that reason, no matter how playable I might find them.

There are a lot of basses out there so from my view there's no reason to settle for something anodyne or that I find ugly. Currently I'm finding my Lace Helix fits like a glove, sounds great, and in my opinion looks extraordinary. I'm sure people with more conservative tastes would think it looks vile.

Jon.

as far gear is concerned 99% of the great unwashed public (God Bless 'em) couldn't tell my gear from the guiturdist' gear so do different types of basses and stuff only make u look cool, windswept and interesting to other musos?

I also think it depends what area of the 'business' ur in - in some sections there can be and is total triumphs of Style over Substance if ur talking appearances.

OTPJ says an odd thing ".....as long as I look professional etc...I dont care what anyone thinks" unless ur looking in the mirror that implies you do care what people think.

Sorry if thats a misquote but my copy and pasting's gone right out the window.

But as far as gear goes I couldn't play an ugly bass but then an ugly bass like a EB3 (to me) can still loook 'cool' it's just not for me

BB

Edited by BarnacleBob

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='790832' date='Mar 30 2010, 05:25 PM']I'm not making a statement as far as I'm aware[/quote]
Remove your gear list from your sig then. :rolleyes:
Yes, I care about image sometimes and I have nice gear too, but I'm not a poser. :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='790811' date='Mar 30 2010, 05:12 PM']Perhaps I'm getting old (at 40), but I keep bumping into a lot of threads around these here parts concerning image. From threads about how cool/ugly Bongos are ...[/quote]

FWIW I'm 35 so I'm closer to your age than I am to all the other people in my band.

I'm not bothered about cars either (I've got a big penis so I've never felt like I need a BMW) but I won't buy a bass that I think is ugly. It could be a Fender or a Warwick or a Hofner or a Ric or... whatever, so long as I like how it looks. Similarly I wouldn't buy a coat just because it was warm - if I thought it made me look like a tit I would go look at some other warm coats. It's pretty straightforward logic really.

Image is very important; not in the glossy celebrity pretty boy sense but in the sense that we want to create an impression, even if its simple professionalism (suit and tie for a function, dj for a wedding, casual for a festival etc). Turning up with egg down your shirt and holes in the arse of your jeans won't cut it. Also, wearing a MOtorhead t-shirt for a jazz gig can be cool if its ironic and crass if its disrespectful to the bandleader. Its a matter of personality, I guess.

Image over substance is what offends, I believe. Looking the part but not delivering - like many of our 'autotune' generation.

IME, a bass that is good, looks good. The ones that fail are the pointy, black skull featuring, shape of a gun, pink flower, polka dot ones. A polka dot finish on a Les Paul, however, is image AND substance. If the money has gone into the finish instead of the guts of an instrument, it will show. If the money has gone on image AND content, thats ok.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='790962' date='Mar 30 2010, 07:22 PM']FWIW I'm 35 so I'm closer to your age than I am to all the other people in my band.

I'm not bothered about cars either (I've got a big penis so I've never felt like I need a BMW) but I won't buy a bass that I think is ugly. It could be a Fender or a Warwick or a Hofner or a Ric or... whatever, so long as I like how it looks. Similarly I wouldn't buy a coat just because it was warm - if I thought it made me look like a tit I would go look at some other warm coats. It's pretty straightforward logic really.[/quote]

Ah, big dick, eh? :)

IMHO, image can be important. If you're up there, dressed to impressed, with excellent gear, it might open more doors to you than turning up with an Encore, and a 15W practice amp......

Skoda Superb? Good call! Every bit as good as an Audi, just nowhere near as expensive :lol:

For me, I love stuff that I think is cool looking, and also a bit of hero worship involved here and there....but it still has to have a good sound, and be functional. I love retro gear that can shake the bowels out of stuff.....Nothing better than feeling the bass line through your feet :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, there's so many ways of looking at the image thing, and unfortunately, the world does seem to be very image driven at the moment :)