Why become a member? ×

Tell me im stupid

throwoff

OK

Here is the problem, im a fairly quiet person but as soon as you put me on stage even if its just the dog and duck to 5 regulars and a dog I become ego man.
I want to sound good and look better.

I love people seeing my rig and being in awe of the hard hours I have put in to spend a stupid sum of money!

I have a Markbass CL108 atm and despite trying to sell it something deep and dark within me has found another for sale for an amazing price and wants to take the plunge.

Then buy another LM250 H to run it. Put my bass through a splitter and on one side run a miniscule delay. Then for a 3 piece im planning distort one as well.
I will literally be using this is smallish venues aiming to move onto medium size places.

Moving it and transporting it all will be a supreme pain in the ass but that really dont bother me as much as it should.

Someone tell me im being a pratt before I do something silly

Do it man!
You´d be stupid NOT to!
Pty they arent Ampegs though :lol:

I didn´t NEED a second Marshall vbc412, but damned if I let that stop me from getting one (at a very good price mind you) to create a VBA400 fullstack!
Weighs a ton and I need help shifting it (cases just massaged the ego more :) ) but it sounds and looks amzing!!!
Im sorted for Wembley should In ever get the call :lol:
Seriously though, my amp GAS is nearly depleted permanently (just want an Ampeg SVT for my other rig).

Now if I could only get rid of bass GAS :rolleyes:

Edited by basshead56

Nah, down size to a Berg IP stack, its in almost certainly louder than entire rig would be (LM250 is a piddler after all), fits in the boot of your car easily and will sound a hundred times better......

Then you can spot other bass nerds a mile away as when they check your rig they will be literally green with envy, whilst those who arent in the know will dismiss it until you destroy their Ampeg with your 2 12 rig :)

I just withdrew my sales thread for the MB as I came into some money, Hopefully someone can tempt me with something for a trade and get rid of the itch

[quote name='51m0n' post='790682' date='Mar 30 2010, 03:20 PM'](LM250 is a piddler after all)[/quote]

Not going to be a 250 for long! Got a head in mind just need to speak to the right man about the particular dog

Edited by throwoff

[quote name='51m0n' post='790682' date='Mar 30 2010, 03:20 PM']Nah, down size to a Berg IP stack, its in almost certainly louder than entire rig would be (LM250 is a piddler after all), fits in the boot of your car easily and will sound a hundred times better...... it until you destroy their Ampeg with your 2 12 rig :rolleyes:[/quote]

Now this is where I get confused. Most of the "speaker experts" on here and elsewhere tell us that its speaker area that gives volume.... so how can two twelves shift as much air as [b]sixteen[/b][i][/i] tens?! I realise that the Berg speakers are probably extremely high efficiency, but surely MB speakers aren't that bad?!

Why is it that as soon as I think I see "the light at the end of the tunnel" with amplification, someone throws me another curve ball?! :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='alexharvay' post='790689' date='Mar 30 2010, 03:24 PM']Buy it. If you find you're not using one of them you could convert it into a canoe. Then paddle down to Brighton, steal 51m0ns Berg IP cabs and then paddle back home.[/quote]

LOL!

I dont have an IP stack I'm afraid. But I have had a bash on one, and god above do they do the business.

I've already stated that my money no object ultimate very wet fantasy rig would be a pair of IP stacks running in stereo off a selection of mouthwatering channel strips (Neve, Summit, even a Joe Meek) and some excessively nice effects.

And, for the record, if he comes for the ae410 he will have to take it from my cold dead hands....

:)

[quote name='Conan' post='790692' date='Mar 30 2010, 03:26 PM']Now this is where I get confused. Most of the "speaker experts" on here and elsewhere tell us that its speaker area that gives volume.... so how can two twelves shift as much air as [b]sixteen[/b][i][/i] tens?! I realise that the Berg speakers are probably extremely high efficiency, but surely MB speakers aren't that bad?!

Why is it that as soon as I think I see "the light at the end of the tunnel" with amplification, someone throws me another curve ball?! :)[/quote]

You arent wrong, all things being equal cone area/volume and excursion mean a tick in the W column.

But they arent equal, at all.

The Berg stack clocks in at a 1000w rig.

Then there is the tailor made DSP processing built into the amp in the IP112ER, designed to absolutely guarantee the best possible use of every one of those watts, which automatically recalibrates when you plug in the second cab!

This is to bass gear what the latest Nissan Skyline is to super cars. It will win by using as much brains as it does brawn.

You may have 16 cones but you are pushing 500w inefficiently into them.

Added to that the nightmare comb filtering and phase issues of multiple columns of speakers close to each other and you wont stand a chance I'm afraid.....

Definitely a good way to go.

I hope you have long hair and a scruffy beard though.

Not sure the miniscule delay is the true path mind. Keep the cabs close together, minimise the weirdness from multiple sources. If you are distorting one side, don't worry about the bass loss from your chosen drive, it doesn't matter much, and just means there isn't the second bass signal to cause comb filtering.

Reminds me of being offered 4 x 18" Peavey cabs (were they 1820s? I can't recall) back in the day for a ludicrously small amount. Each one was roughly the size and shape (and weight) of a washing machine. They'd have been beyond Doom stacked as 2 x 2. I never pushed the button, but even now a very very small part of me wishes I had, just to see what'd have happened...possibly a Marty McFly moment, but...

I'm in the 'Go-For-It' camp, it'll be a laugh.

Eventually your mates will get fed up helping you in and out with it, a bit later you might too. But until that happens you play for enjoyment don't you? Improve your enjoyment by a using a bass stack the size of a small venue. We've all done it, any regrets? 'Course not!

If your guitarist has a little 1x12 combo you might look at how the mountain of bass looks on the stage.

I think the only way you could make the look of a 2 x 8 x 10 rig any better, especially if your guitar peeps have 1 x 12's, would be if you yourself were slightly shorter than an 8 x 10, and wore a genuine German tank driver's helmet. This was the look my band's previous bass player perfected :-)