Why become a member? ×

Clenched teeth when playing

Mr. Foxen

Noticed last couple of practices that I've been clenching my teeth when playing. Fairly sure I didn't used to do it, would have noticed the jaw ache before. Guessing because I am taking a bit more of a lead role in this project, and generally taking a different position musically (listening to the drums for time and ignoring the guitar, rather than watching the drummer, and listening to the guitar).

Anyone else do this, tips for stopping, discuss.

Not teeth clenching no, but when I was learning to play bass, my teacher was insistant that I should look in the mirror while I played.

I ignored this advice for months and months until one day I did it. Was only then realised I couldn't play a single note without sticking my tongue out!! :rolleyes:

It was harder to learn NOT to do that than it was to learn bass! :)

Our guitar player is King Gurner in our band as well as the drummers bottom lip making a significant appearance during particularly heavy parts.

Agree with the post above, chewing gum is the way..... AND you look cool chewing with your mouth open - just ask Alex Ferguson :lol:

My bottom jaw protrudes, my tongue dangles out the corner of my mouth and I frown. So I have no advice for you I'm afraid.

All that sounds bloody awful doesn't it? :blush:

EDIT: no there are no photos of this abomination, and I'm off to find a large paper bag to hide my hideous bass face.

Edited by Marvin

I don't think it's really a matter of 'Bass Face'.
If you are clenching your teeth enough to make your jaw ache you must be
very tense while you are playing. You need to find some way to relax while
you are playing.

I`m another one who has their tongue just poking out of the corner of their mouth (always on the left).

I found practicing in front of a mirror helped cut down the amount my tongue was poking out as I became very self conscious - problem then was I concentrated on my tongue, not my playing, and hit so many bum notes it was unbelieveable.

Sort of reached a compromise with myself now.

I saw a DVD of myself the other night and I seemed to switch between a 'clenched lips look '(as if I was going to hit someone) and then I made a relaxed 'blown cheeks' look for one song. It was at that point that my guitarist pointed out the resemblance to the Churchill Insurance dog....gum chewing here I come.
Jim

[quote name='cheddatom' post='789276' date='Mar 29 2010, 11:54 AM']I do it when playing drums and it gets really painful. Any solutions would be appreciated. I tried chewing gum but still got the same ache and managed to swallow it once.[/quote]

[quote name='Eight' post='790034' date='Mar 29 2010, 10:13 PM']This thread <- sponsored by Wrigley's.

Or Hubba Bubba if you're a big kid like me.[/quote]

There's a Foo Fighters video where Taylor is blowing bubbles with bubble gum. He looks very relaxed doing it.

[quote name='Doddy' post='789994' date='Mar 29 2010, 09:39 PM']If you are clenching your teeth enough to make your jaw ache you must be
very tense while you are playing. You need to find some way to relax while
you are playing.[/quote]

It's only been recently, not unlikely its because I have to concentrate so hard to deal with new drummer's dreadful timing, whilst still trying to make up some music. It was worse when it was a jam with him and a guitarist who likes the sound of off key shredding, because 'its free and pure'.

I get the same ache some mornings. Apparently I grind my teeth in my sleep, I don't know if that's connected.

I played bass last night (not very often these days) and I do plenty of weird bass faces, jaw based gurning etc, but I don't clench my teeth. That's only for drums!

[quote name='wmsheep' post='790009' date='Mar 29 2010, 09:54 PM']I`m another one who has their tongue just poking out of the corner of their mouth (always on the left).[/quote]

Is this from just playing Bass?
Or a habit you have got into from other activities? :)

Garry

[quote name='Eight' post='789830' date='Mar 29 2010, 07:57 PM']I've just noticed I'm pouting a lot while playing...[/quote]

Me too, but only in certain songs and usually when I'm just loving my sound, oh and I grind my teeth at night.

When I lose myself in the groove I sometimes find I've jutted out my lower jaw so far its virtually dislocated. Gets very painful! I'm really relaxed from the shoulders down too.

Weird!

I suspect its as a result of wearing ear plugs and finding that doing this lets a little more top inpast the damn things, which is absurd cos they completely fill my ear canal, yet moving my jaw into this painful position does change the amount of top I hear (albeit slightly))

I wouldnt chew gum, I'd almost certainly attempt to inhale it at some point :)

[quote]It was worse when it was a jam with him and a guitarist who likes the sound of off key shredding, because 'its free and pure'.[/quote]

That is one of the funniest things I've read in a while.

I don't clench, in fact, I have the opposite problem. My jaw is sufficiently relaxed that when I turn my head to the left and down to look at the fretboard, my jaw puts up no resistance to my shoulder/trap(ezoid) pushing my lower jaw very far out to the right. So sometimes when I've had practice intensive weeks (i.e. anywhere from 2-6 hours every day/other day for two to three weeks), I get severe jaw clicking that is quite unpleasant. Dissipates eventually.

I would suggest getting a mouthguard type splint from a dentist. I got one a while ago when I did grind my teeth at night and it completely resolved the issue.

I often pout if I'm concentrating too hard on what I'm playing, can easily stop this by reminding myself not to do it. It's not so much of a problem if it happens, a lot of the time I'm headbanging while bass playing so my hair gets in the way and stops people from seeing it.