Why become a member? ×

Ashdown

hellothere

Recently bought an Ashdown EB 15-180 online after testing one out elsewhere. The sound quality is just as good and its the same amp, etc but the speaker is black rather than blue. It was made in PRC and I didnt look to see whether the other one was made in england or china, could the diffrence in colour be to do with where they where made? It sounds great and I am very happy with it either way, its just i want to check I havnt paid more than i should for it?

I'll probably be asleep by the time they move this, but: If you look near the input on the cab it will say where it was made and in relation to the colour of the speakers. If you have black ones, I don't know if they have a name or not, then you just have whatever Ashdown has called those range of speakers haha. The blue ones tho are Ashdowns Blue Line Driver range.

My ABM BP has Blue Line Drivers and thats made in the UK but My ABMUSA 4x10 has black speakers and that is Made in the UK but assembled in America or some malarky. I'd actually say I prefer the sound out of my USA but they're both beast.

I'm pretty sure it's safe to say yours was made in the UK
If it's good then who cares!

Chris

yeah it was supposed to have the blue line ones.

to me they it still sounds good but if i have been sent a cheaper one i obviously want to reclaim some money, or to see if they are quivalent or whatever.

and it says made in PRC on the back somewhere (not by it now so cant check exactly where) and i assumed that meant people's republic of china? i know they have started making some over there and as i said it sounds fine, is working fine and as far as i can tell has been put together well.

just tryna see why its diffrent? haha

I wouldn't stress about it too much. As long as it sounds good then it doesn't matter what colour the drivers are.

It's a competitive business and manufacturers are always trying to cut costs, especially at the budget end of the market. If Ashdown could save 50p per driver by buying black ones instead of blue ones they would have and I would expect that somewhere it'll say the spec can change at the company's discretion.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='789122' date='Mar 29 2010, 08:30 AM']The EB range has always been made in the Far East. I wouldn't be concerned at all.[/quote]

Think the early ones were made in UK ( if that matters to anyone).
Good value amps that sound okay.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='789663' date='Mar 29 2010, 05:36 PM']Is there anything that's NOT made in china anymore? lol[/quote]

Nope. 'Fraid not!

I've been doing some quality control consultancy for a musical instrument importer and some of the Chinese stuff is getting scarily good. Witness the Squier Classic Vibe range and how good they're getting. As for the Ashdowns, I've never played a bad one, whether it's made in China or here in the UK. :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='789677' date='Mar 29 2010, 05:50 PM']I've been doing some quality control consultancy for a musical instrument importer and some of the Chinese stuff is getting scarily good. Witness the Squier Classic Vibe range and how good they're getting.[/quote]

Isn't that Korean?

I was expecting delivery yesterday of a 'Custom Cab' made in Chelmsford using (I'm told) the latest BlackLine 12".

Just goes to show - whatever colour drivers they use - they still can't deliver on time :)

Just incase anyone is intrested I emailed Ashdown about something else but asked about this in the email aswell. They told me the black speakers are the same just a diffrent colour and the change was made about 11 months ago when other cosmetic changes, like a cloth grill and being vinyl bound instead of carpet, where made.

[quote name='gilmour' post='790812' date='Mar 30 2010, 05:12 PM']It's a little known fact that speakers that are a non-standard colour (i.e not black) sound better.[/quote]
Fantastic! Let's start the " 'Vintage Blue' speakers are [i]demonstrably[/i] better" voodoo myth right here! Six months from now it will be a globally accepted fact.

Edited by skankdelvar