Why become a member? ×

'Relicing' a Bass

merello

Amen to that. If you want it to look worn out, use it and wear it out.

Personally I can't see the satisfaction in doing this or, worse buying a guitar with this carried out, even well. If a bass has been used through the years then it has 'character' and the imagination can rise on where the bass may have been. If its been sanded/buffed away, who is it actually fooling? Why would anyone want to fool someone and if the user knows its a fake, there must be zero satisfaction.

I was teaching a Cleethorpes family this evening (two cellists and one violinist) and it turns out the father has a mint (looks like it just came out of the factory) 1982 Aria bass (looks like a single pickup Ibanez MC series with a coil tap? switch.) It was a joy to find, as it's really been looked after and is in perfect condition.

Much better than purposely wrecking your toys, you destructive children :)

Yes... be careful. Relic jobs can look awful if they're overdone.

I like shiny and new but some relics I've seen look very nice.

Dark Horse over at talkbass does some very nice ones, might be worth checking out.

Edited by bh2

Same here, first look & I thought CK had his old avitar back.
He's lost for good now :)

I'd do a bit of speed playing at your next gig with the picks on a cordless drill & then drill some holes in the body (just make sure you don't drill your own fleshy one!) & then pop some rawl plugs in the holes for added humour.

The really cool looking relic instruments with classic wear all have a thin nitro finish.If you bash about a MIM Fender with a thick poly finish for thirty years it'll get scratched & dented, but never wear through like a nitro finish. Attacking it with abrasives will make it look stupid & you'll look stupid playing it. :) So I say - do it.