Why become a member? ×

Traben Bootsy Collins Signature Star Bass - Now Sold!

molan

Ok - so I'm only putting this up for sale as I have my eyes on something and am determined that every time I buy something new that something else goes out the door!

If the other bass sells then I'll withdraw this as It's such a fun piece of kit to have around the house :rolleyes:

Bought last year on a complete whim as I'm a huge Bootzilla fan.

As Traben themslelves put it:

Traben Bootsy Star - Aerofunkaronics to the 5th level!
Five pointed star, five Rockfield™ pickups, the largest Bigger Bridge we've ever designed, three Aguilar® Amplification pre-amps and endless tone settings can only be found on the Bootsy Star Bass. From the funky mind of Bootsy, comes this over-the-top tone monster. If you demand the most tonal control, head turning looks and the BIGGEST tone of all, the show-stopping Bootsy Star is for you!

SPECS
BRIDGE traben bootzilla star
SCALE 34”
CONSTRUCTION set neck
PICKUPS five rockfield™ pickups fat bass-tard j-style
ELECTRONICS 3 individual aguilar® amplification obp-3 pre-amps custom wired for various settings
BODY basswood
FRETBOARD rosewood
NUT chrome plated brass
INLAY bootzilla shooting star

Yep, that's right, it has 5 pickups and no less than 3 individual Aguilar pre-amps. The pre-amps are 'voiced' for some fairly specific sounds - very loosely there's one relatively conventional setting, one that only works with real high frequency stuff & another that controls some serious lows. By playing with all of them you can dial in all sorts of sounds. To be honest I tend to leave everything turned full on and then whack it through a distortion / compressor / autowah combination for some Bootsy madness :lol:

Of course this is totally one of those love or loathe basses but it really is fun to play and would be just great as a 'show bass' for anyone in a funky soul band. Much easier to play than it looks and balances fine on a strap.

I've attached a couple of stock shots below of the bass and the control layout and can take some pics of mine if required. It is totally 'as new' without a mark on it in all it's pearlescent white glory. Comes with an equally crazy custom fit case that's designed to cosset the bass perfectly - lining is, of course, in purple fur :)

Happy to ship anywhere but costs could be higher than a conventional bass because the case is a fair bit larger (I still have all the packing materials that it came in from the US).

Happy to try and answer any questions!

Edited by molan

[quote name='alanbass1' post='785457' date='Mar 25 2010, 08:02 AM']Molan, I have never known anyone tuen around as many basses as you[/quote]

But you've met me, Alan ... :)

Oops, off-topic. Good luck with sale Barry, its certainly .... ummmm .... eye-catching and unique!

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='cocco' post='785609' date='Mar 25 2010, 10:53 AM']is the one for sale a 4 or a 5? it doesnt say anywhere and the pics show both[/quote]

It's a 4 - sorry, just randomly grabbed some stock shots and hadn't spotted that one of them was a 5'er!

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='785481' date='Mar 25 2010, 08:38 AM']Bet it can't do a P-bass "thump" though ... :rolleyes:[/quote]

You'd be surprised at the way the ultra low pickup, and corresponding pre-amp, is 'voiced', lol.

I'll have to get it out and try :)

[quote name='Toasted' post='785767' date='Mar 25 2010, 01:07 PM']I played this bass, it was a laugh. I'd love to own it :) Great sounding too.[/quote]

I think it's the core sound that surprises most people - it genuinely does sound really nice and, even with a muppet like me playing it, you really can get a Bootsy-alike tone through an auto-wah :rolleyes:

[quote name='Linus27' post='786289' date='Mar 25 2010, 08:30 PM']I've played this also and its wonderful. Such an amazing sounding bass with so many tonal options. You must be mad to sell this Barry.[/quote]

If something else sells then I'll hang on to it, lol.

And sell, something else did :)

Edited by molan

• 2 months later...

[quote name='molan' post='786337' date='Mar 25 2010, 10:07 PM']If something else sells then I'll hang on to it, lol.

And sell, something else did :)[/quote]

But then I bought another bass (or three!) so thought I'd better get the merry-go-round spinning again :rolleyes:

So, back up for sale at £1,200 - happy to consider trades for something of lower value that's reasonably easy to sell at a later date E.G. USA Fenders, Lakland Skyline, Musicman etc.

I found a stack of pics of the bass as well - some showing the super funky purple lined case :lol:

Apologies for all the Music Farm watermarks - all these pics came from their site which is where I bought the bass.

Will ship anywhere but please bear in mind that it comes in an oversized case so it may be a little more expensive that a standard sized bass.

Edited by molan

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='866022' date='Jun 13 2010, 03:10 PM']Wow, makes me want to do a Parliment tribute act, LOL! Funkalicious, baby :)[/quote]

I always thought it would be a great bass to bring out for encores at the end of our disco set :rolleyes:

That would have been soooo awesome in my old cosmic funk band! In fact if I'd had the money I'd have resurrected the band just to buy the bass.....best of luck with the sale. Wish I was getting it! Oh, and that case is just [i]mega[/i]! Mmmm, purple..... :)

Edited by 4000