Why become a member? ×

Your First Ever Crush

Pete Academy

(No not me, the bass!) I was very lucky, when i first started playing the original version of this bass cropped up in a magazine and i cut the pic out and stuck it in the front of my A-level English folder, that was my dream bass. A few weeks later same magazine ran a review of the japanese '62 reissue, which i duly cut out and stuck in the back cover of my A-level English folder, this was more achievable, although not by much at that age, £500 or £5000 both were sky high. A few years later i found a mint one in my local store and had enough to buy it, and its still my number 1 at least 17 years later. Its been butchered a bit, and modded up and down, but i still love that bass which was my first crush, and indeed a more porky and recent me is wearing it in my avatar on the left!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='781138' date='Mar 20 2010, 08:33 PM']Mine was a Status Shark II 5 string. Red with White scratch plate. Fell in love, bought it and owned it for 2 years. Was sold due to poverty.

It was mine from 2000-2002. I'd love to know where it is now[/quote]

Similar to this, mine was the Alembic 20th Anniversary, bought in 1989, and sold to fund the Tobias Classic 5.

<Pass me that Kleenex will you, love...I feel a touch teary.>

I played on 67 p-bass at wunjo guitars in denmark street, i think i played on it for about an hour and a half! best bass iv ever had the privilage of playing and no vintage bass iv played on since has matched it.. But i put lindy fralin pups on my mex p-bass and for now thats going to do what a p bass does......... everything!