Why become a member? ×

Bugera Amps

jamiesonk666

Their first couple of batches had components that were spec'd right on the limit of tolerance, and that + slightly poor soldering meant that a few let the magic smoke out. On Harmony central by now you'd have been bombarded with images of fire extinguishers.

General consensus was that they've move on a long way over the last couple of years and they can withstand gigging. Some of the guitar amps sound good at almost any price too.

the way the pro audio industry runs is pretty incestuos. Mackie bought RCF out and screwed an awesome product, After screwing fender up Arbiter bought jbl distribution rights and screwed them. Lets hope that Behringher keep their mits out of R&D at KT and midas. I think that R&D of Behringher do the design of Bugera.

Yeh, hopefully behringer will leave them alone, and tbh i think they will, be nice if they learned a thing or two from them along the way.
RCF aren't with mackie anymore tho, and are producing some lovely products now, so it seems they managed to recover but JBL has been a bit sucky for quite a while now and i cant see a similar return to past glories for them, shame really.

The guitar amps sound great. Still waiting for a chance to get my hands on the BVP550. Bugera may be linked to Behringer but the standards are way higher. This kind of nay saying happened with Peavey years ago. Hopefully Bugera will keep improving and follow Peavey in terms of quality/reliability.
Theres some really nice features on the 6260 guitar head. Blows most Marshall crap away. Even small details such as the Bugera logo been made of metal rather than plastic show that they are not just cheap clones.

I've heard good things about Bugera when I've been trawling through things on the internet...Never heard one first hand though, but they don't seem to carry the reputation that Behringer does.

What would be really interesting to me is the 1960 head for that 60s marshall sound, if I had money for something I don't really need...apparently it works quite well for bass as long as you don't need too much power and is good if you're after something like a plexi style tone.
Here's a link to a thread about it on talkbass; [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=588894&highlight=1960"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.p...;highlight=1960[/url]
I also really like the fact that these have bias test points and a bias knob on the outside of the chassis (which I saw in a youtube video where the 1960 head is compared to a marshall) - something that seems like an obvious feature to include on a valve amp, but that, IME, isn't very common.

I think with brands like Bugera, you have to take your chances and accept that something so affordable might not be as good as the more expensive equivalent...You could, however, find a bargain because you're not paying for a highly regarded brand name!

Edited by jonny-lad

• 7 months later...

[quote name='jonny-lad' post='780011' date='Mar 19 2010, 05:59 PM']I've heard good things about Bugera when I've been trawling through things on the internet...Never heard one first hand though, but they don't seem to carry the reputation that Behringer does.

What would be really interesting to me is the 1960 head for that 60s marshall sound, if I had money for something I don't really need...apparently it works quite well for bass as long as you don't need too much power and is good if you're after something like a plexi style tone.
Here's a link to a thread about it on talkbass; [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=588894&highlight=1960"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.p...;highlight=1960[/url]
I also really like the fact that these have bias test points and a bias knob on the outside of the chassis (which I saw in a youtube video where the 1960 head is compared to a marshall) - something that seems like an obvious feature to include on a valve amp, but that, IME, isn't very common.

I think with brands like Bugera, you have to take your chances and accept that something so affordable might not be as good as the more expensive equivalent...You could, however, find a bargain because you're not paying for a highly regarded brand name![/quote]

sorry to dig this one up but has anyone actually owned one of these? I hear the same behringer bashing story that "my mate has owned 3 of these and they all broke on the first day" but everyone who has owned one has had nothing but good things to say. I just want an honest opinion frm someone who owns one, is 550watts peak/ or 300 watts at 8 ohms going to be loud enough to keep up with my guitarists 150watt Sunn concert half stack and a Marshall half stack? And does anyone know how it handles low tunings (A/B/C#).

[quote name='RickIronWitch' post='994651' date='Oct 20 2010, 12:11 PM']sorry to dig this one up but has anyone actually owned one of these? I hear the same behringer bashing story that "my mate has owned 3 of these and they all broke on the first day" but everyone who has owned one has had nothing but good things to say. I just want an honest opinion frm someone who owns one, is 550watts peak/ or 300 watts at 8 ohms going to be loud enough to keep up with my guitarists 150watt Sunn concert half stack and a Marshall half stack? And does anyone know how it handles low tunings (A/B/C#).[/quote]

If you are going to be rocking really low tunings, you are gonna have to get pretty nice stuff, because non-standard tunings put non-standard stresses on things, and even if they are really good at the price point, they are going to be made to a minimum standard. Also, what model are you asking about, the Marshall copy won't be doing 300w peak or into x ohms, because it is valve.

Our guitarist has a Bugera 2x12 combo, and it sounds great. Of course, it doesn`t sound as full as his Peavey half-stack, but I wouldn`t expect it to. When he`s used it at rehearsals, its at gig-volume, for 3+ hours, and he`s had no issues with it. I know that doesn`t specifically answer the original question, but its another positive view on this brand.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='994670' date='Oct 20 2010, 12:29 PM']If you are going to be rocking really low tunings, you are gonna have to get pretty nice stuff, because non-standard tunings put non-standard stresses on things, and even if they are really good at the price point, they are going to be made to a minimum standard. Also, what model are you asking about, the Marshall copy won't be doing 300w peak or into x ohms, because it is valve.[/quote]

Sorry im looking at the BVP550. See the thing is. im pretty new to the gear world as ive never been in a band that has needed serious gear and ive never had the cash. i have a gig next week and my Wimpdown little giant cant handle the lows. i know the little giant is only 350watt at 4ohms, and i nearly blew it at practice last week. i cant really afford anything like Ampeg and i think the Orange bass terror might just be out of my range (if i could afford it, it would be a no brainer). I've heard the BVP is like an SVT3-Pro. i cant really afford more than £400 at a serious push.

EDIT: Also this is 550watt peak and the Bass terror is 500RMS, yet the Orange is class D and the Bugera is class A, does the class make much of a difference? (sounding like a proper n00b now sorry!)

Edited by RickIronWitch

Yet another 'our guitarist bought one and it broke' post because just that - our guitarist bought one - 100W valve job - and it broke during the first hour of rehearsing with it. He got a refund, put money to it and has bought a Marshall.

FWIW I've owned a *slightly* less well known old British head, and in comparison to the Bugera equivalent, tone wise it came off significantly worse. Sure it could be tweaked and modded, but so can most valve amps, and you still have to worry about 30+ YO components failing.

It's all a bit of a lottery, but at least a new amp carries a warranty.

Can't comment about the bass gear but have tried a 1960 head, a 333XL and after borrowing one for a week, have just ordered the V55HD. Unbelievable sound and clarity. Triode or pentode modes, switchable ohmage. My guitarist mate has had no issues with his and it came with the foot pedal. Going to run it through a pair of 1912 Marshalls.

Great for the money.

Slightly off topic, but the 2 guitarists in my band have both recently bought Blackstar 200w heads costing over £1100 each, and both have had problems.

Amp 1, buzzed extremely loudly and was sent back for repair, they claimed there was nothing wrong with it and returned it. After a bit of fuss, they replaced it and the new one is ok, but still not what you could call quiet. Its a few months old and has only been used for rehearsals and one gig.

Amp 2, is only a couple of weeks old and has also been returned for new valves. I went round to the guitarists house for a quick rehearsal last night and one channel packed up (valves again, we suspect) it's been used for just a few hours!