Why become a member? ×

1st gig

hitchy64

Hi All,
I'v been on here a while now and enjoyed reading all thats going on.
It's my big night next saturday (20th) as my band perform our 1st gig!!!
I'm about as ready as i'll ever be, and feeling quite confidant. I just thought I'd ask you seasoned players if you have any last minute tips??
Cheers, Hitchy :)

[quote name='hitchy64' post='774492' date='Mar 14 2010, 06:01 PM']Hi All,
I'v been on here a while now and enjoyed reading all thats going on.
It's my big night next saturday (20th) as my band perform our 1st gig!!!
I'm about as ready as i'll ever be, and feeling quite confidant. I just thought I'd ask you seasoned players if you have any last minute tips??
Cheers, Hitchy :)[/quote]

Drink!
:rolleyes:

As long as you know the songs you'll be fine!!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='774503' date='Mar 14 2010, 06:13 PM']Bass, amp (or contact the person you are borrowing from), tuner, gaffa tape, leads, spare leads, don't drink, turn up early and HAVE FUN.[/quote]

That's pretty much it, to be fair -- lots of emphasis on the last one :)

Edited by Rosh

There are some good tips here (mostly), but even the most experienced of us can come unstuck at gigs. You'll learn from experience.
Have spares of everything (leads, mains lead, strings, fuses, batteries, battery/fuse tester, tool kit, spare change, tea bags, etc. :lol: )
It's a well known fact that bass players are the most organized and are the saviours of any band. :lol: :)
Bottom line: hope for the best, plan for the worst, have a good time and DON'T PANIC! :rolleyes:

Best advice I can give is just enjoy it.

Noone will even notice if you fluff it, much less care. Last night there was a bass part where I was just playing on my own and I COMPLETELY fluffed it (playing solo and I had to stop and think what I was doing) and noone gave two hoots.

So long as you look like you're having fun instead of trying too hard, the audience will relax and everyone will have fun. If you have a mic try and keep the crowd in the loop, tell them song names, make little jokes, try and encourage them to dance etc.

[quote name='Stingray5' post='774800' date='Mar 14 2010, 11:27 PM']It's a well known fact that bass players are the most organized and are the saviours of any band. :rolleyes: :)[/quote]
Well that's certainly the case with my band. I'm completely paranoid about preparation, rehearsing the set list and having spares of everything (except a second bass come to think of it - might need to rectify that!).

Try to relax and have fun. The build-up and first song might seem a bit daunting but get through that and you'll be fine. Just watch how much the audience are enjoying themselves and go with the flow!

Don't expect too much from yourself-you'll be nervous and you will cock up, be ready for it, don't let it throw you, and realise that things will get better the more gigs you do. It's true that most people willl not notice-I have come offstage disgusted with myself at mistakes I've made, and everyone was completely oblivious.
Opinions differ on the alcohol front-as you can see. I personally don't touch a drop before playing, some prefer a drink to relax them. I've done both, and having had a drink I [i]thought[/i] I played better-but I didn't like the idea that I might only have thought I played better because of the drink, and was actually crap! Whatever you do don't overdo it.
As everyone else has said-have fun!

The thing that does my head in is all the hanging around before kick off.

I like to set up, sound check and then be somewhere else.
A light snack locally (no kebabs or the like!) or even just a walk will help.
Then a quick pint at the venue just before hitting the stage.
Take something to drink onstage. Water if your sensible or a pint if you're like me. It gets hot up there.

If you look like you're having fun the audience will be far more receptive. Move around a bit and smile but not to the detriment of your playing.

If someone drops a clanger keep playing. It will happen and it's not the end of the world.

Good luck.

If you think you might dry up, don't be afraid to write the chords (or even the key) on the set list for each song. Even now, I have the occasional "how the hell does that go". The main thing is not to be flustered. Make sure you are organised, give yourself lots of time, make sure everything works properly, put new batteries in everything and double check you've got everything.

And when you've got all that cr*p out of the way.... have fun :)

Well, from the lofty heights of my 5th ever gig on Friday :-), in can only really repeat stuff:

1, Spare strings are an OK idea, but it's not really practical to change a string while your audience (and band!) waits, especially if you're playing a multi-band gig and your set is only 40 minutes or something. A second bass is a much better idea. My second bass is only a £50 ebay special, but it's there if needed, tuned up and ready to go. Same rules apply if your main bass has active pickups - spare batteries are fine, time spent changing them isn't. So a cheapo passive second bass is better.

2, Since the neck on my backup bass is very different to my main one, i make sure I play the entire set through on both basses the night before the gig, and then don't practice at all on the actual day, because I find that practicing on the day actually makes me more nervous!

3, Don't use alcohol to help with nerves, it doesn't do a lot for the quality of your playing. Our band has a 1 beer maximum before we go on.

4, For an evening gig, I'll eat really early, say 3:30 or 4 because I wont be able to eat nearer the time, and you don't want to get wobbly through lack of food.

5, This is the biggy - someone will make a mistake at some point, probably several points :-) When it's your time for a boo boo, DON'T PANIC and DON'T STOP PLAYING - just thump away on the root of whatever chord the band are playing until you find your place again, or failing that an open E or A or something. If you stop dead, the audience will spot that something has gone wrong - it's better to play the wrong note than nothing at all, in my opinion.

6, Try not to look at your fingers for the entire gig - check in visually with your guitard/ guitards and drummer every now and again, look at your singer in disbelief as he sings a verse over the chorus backing and if you're feeling really brave have a bit of a smile at the audience (it's taken me 5 gigs to get there though!)

Just enjoy yourself!

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='774986' date='Mar 15 2010, 10:12 AM']Don't expect too much from yourself-you'll be nervous and you will cock up, be ready for it, don't let it throw you, and realise that things will get better the more gigs you do. It's true that most people willl not notice-I have come offstage disgusted with myself at mistakes I've made, and everyone was completely oblivious.
Opinions differ on the alcohol front-as you can see. I personally don't touch a drop before playing, some prefer a drink to relax them. I've done both, and having had a drink I [i]thought[/i] I played better-but I didn't like the idea that I might only have thought I played better because of the drink, and was actually crap! Whatever you do don't overdo it.
As everyone else has said-have fun![/quote]

+1

My #1 tip would be

SLOW DOWN....

now I've never heard you play but I guarantee that inexperience and nerves will result in either you or the drummer getting into a 'race' to the end of the set....LOL

Take it steady

IT IS NOT A RACE!

[quote name='Twigman' post='775212' date='Mar 15 2010, 01:40 PM']My #1 tip would be

SLOW DOWN....

now I've never heard you play but I guarantee that inexperience and nerves will result in either you or the drummer getting into a 'race' to the end of the set....LOL

Take it steady

IT IS NOT A RACE![/quote]

That one really sorts the men from the boys. Nearly *all* covers bands play too fast.

Lots of good stuff here. The most important things, like almost everyone has said, is give yourself plenty of time and make sure you have everything you're likely to need. It may be useful to make a list of essentials(the list 3 replies in is pretty good, depending on your set up). If you use batteries in pedals then put a new one in before you leave home.

What you may well find when you get to the gig is that if there are several bands on, you may not be given much time/space/chance for a sound check. Roll with it, rather than getting up tight or anxious. Chat to the guys in the other bands, make friends, help them if they look like they can use it.

When setting up, try to see where you want to put the amp etc quickly, rather than faffing about moving around. Likewise look for power sockets that you can plug your extension cable into. Try not to play while the rest of the band is setting up: that can make communication impossible and cause bad tempers. Instead help them get their gear in place once yours is sorted (drummers always need help). Take the bass out of it's case/bag as soon as you possible so it can acclimate to the room temperature to help tuning stability.

All the tips about having keys/chords for the songs written down are good - it's easy to just forget! Any last minute changes to the set list should be noted too.

HAVE FUN!

[quote name='Doddy' post='774587' date='Mar 14 2010, 07:19 PM']Better yet..... don't[/quote]

Don't you get hot and sweaty on stage?
With nerves and lights I often feel the need to rehydrate...

After all, I didn't mention alcohol...

Most important thing is have fun, and let everyone see you having fun. They'll buzz off your energy. Dont listen to anyone's reviews after the show, good or bad, especially other musicians. They'll usually be filling you with sh*te. Clean fresh socks are a must for the car ride home. If you dont have a spare bass bring a change of strings. Listen to the sound tech!!!! If he does a good job and you find his input helpfull buy him a pint.

Cheers for all the tips and replies folks.
The pub where we rehearse, up-stairs in a big room, let us practice down-stairs where we'r gonna be saturday night.
15-20 locals cheering and clapping, all said we were sh*t-hot!! It was like a mini gig.
Can't wait till tomorrow night, I'm buzzin now. :) I'll let ya all know how it went.
Thanks, Hitchy.